BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] GB Team for the Olympics

I don't get why the Scottish and Welsh FA's are acting like they are.

They know it won't affect their own independance in FIFA so why not let Great Britain have a team full of British players in the Olympic team. The only people losing out are the fans......yet again!

I think they cannot be sure about their independence. Blatter has changed his opinion on it on more than one occasion.

Also Stuart Pearce is hotly touted to be in charge if it happens, wonderful!

I don't get why the Scottish and Welsh FA's are acting like they are.

They know it won't affect their own independance in FIFA so why not let Great Britain have a team full of British players in the Olympic team. The only people losing out are the fans......yet again!

They'll see it as a nail in the coffin.

Although I haven't really looked in to it, i dont understand the 'lose their independence' argument. Surely if they did, England would as well. becoming Team GB

This therefore would not happen, it's as simple as that.

The FA are the bigger organisation and the smaller ones would therefore be subsumed into it. They'd effectively cease to exist whereas the FA would become England+.

It's very possible.

I presume you mean English. Bale?

Aye, typo. Bale was in there but further down. Not sure if he'd play. He might as well do though, he's very uch a cup competition player by the looks of things.

To be honest I can't ever see a situation where Scotland/England/Wales/NI would be forced into a GB team. I mean the current situation has prevailed for a hundred and twenty years. Why would it change?

In terms of who would be in the squad, it would be majority English players plus Bale, Ramsey and Darren Fletcher. Maybe Jonny Evans or Chris Brunt from NI would get a look in.

In terms of who would be in the squad, it would be majority English players plus Bale, Ramsey and Darren Fletcher. Maybe Jonny Evans or Chris Brunt from NI would get a look in.

I'd rather have Macgregor in the net than any of the current england keepers.

Having said that, it looks like it wont happen, due to the pathetic attitude of the Welsh, Scottish and rather suprisingly the Northern Irish respective FA's. Everybody knows a Team GB at the Olympics will be a novelty, used only in the Olympics, and will not undermine the 'identity of each national association.' In my opinion, it's just further evidence of the likely sad break up of the UK in the future.

Say NO to team GB in football. We are independent separate identities in football and long may it continue. Any football team playing under a British flag will receive no support from me and id hope they loose every game

Say NO to team GB in football. We are independent separate identities in football and long may it continue. Any football team playing under a British flag will receive no support from me and id hope they loose every game

Ha, wow! I didn't think anybody cared about borders these days.

Then why are welsh teams in our league and an English team in the scottish league?

Ha, wow! I didn't think anybody cared about borders these days.

Only the Yorkshire one, at Hapton. :lol:

Archived