BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

(AM) Pablo Piatti

Hekla

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time the Sam fans are challenged about his style of play they reel off a list of former Bolton players. Never a Rovers player mentioned. Funny that.

Perhaps he had more money to spend at Bolton?

stelios, Djorkaeff, Okocha etc etc etc :wstu:

Yeah, 3 players to really set the pulse racing there. Stelios ffs..

We all know he occasionally found space for the odd flair player but his teams were always much more set-up to play percentage football.You trying to rewrite history or something??

Here have one your self. :wstu:

Udinese going to make a decision on Piatti Tuesday/wednesday i'm told.

buongiorno, roberto. on the brfcs podcast.. kamy indicated he's confident piatti wants to come to rovers and test himself in england.

you heard any whispers about his preference.. for seria A or the prem ?

Really sounds like this guy is going to Valencia now. Real shame as well as apparently Almeira have accepted an offer of just 6mil euros due to valencia having a cap of 6mil on how much they can spend on one player this window as money is tight.

As I remember the figure banded around for him a week or so ago was at least 8mil £ so if its true that he'd cost less than 6 I can't see why Venkys don't just shove an offer in. He's clearly proved he's got what it takes in La Liga last season.

Really sounds like this guy is going to Valencia now. Real shame as well as apparently Almeira have accepted an offer of just 6mil euros due to valencia having a cap of 6mil on how much they can spend on one player this window as money is tight.

As I remember the figure banded around for him a week or so ago was at least 8mil £ so if its true that he'd cost less than 6 I can't see why Venkys don't just shove an offer in. He's clearly proved he's got what it takes in La Liga last season.

Valencia are no great shakes anymore so possibly if venky's get the finger out and match or slightly better their bid it might be possible to convince him to come to ewood,and another thing he is not just a left winger,he plays the second striker role very well and scores all types of goals.

Does anyone know why he's supposedly available for such low figure? Almeria paid a rumored €7M for him two years ago, his release clause is €45M, and his Argentinian club Estudiantes La Plata gets 25% of the next transfer. On paper he's been quite solid during his two seasons at Almeria, is only 22 yrs old, and has 4!! yrs remaining of his contract.

Edit: oh, Almeria was relegated. That's probably it :)

He'd be less succesful than Villanueva in the premiership, great player but don't think we've missed out to be honest.

Balderdash. He's done it in a far better league. And Villanueva was nowhere near as bad as people made out. Not going to go into it all, but we've certainly missed out at the prices quoted. Don't be surprised to see him moving for double or triple in future, or having a prosperous career at Valencia. To say he won't make it in the Prem purely because of build is just ridiculous. Hoilett, Zola, Juninho.

Balderdash. He's done it in a far better league. And Villanueva was nowhere near as bad as people made out. Not going to go into it all, but we've certainly missed out at the prices quoted. Don't be surprised to see him moving for double or triple in future, or having a prosperous career at Valencia. To say he won't make it in the Prem purely because of build is just ridiculous. Hoilett, Zola, Juninho.

A better league maybe, not a more physical one. South Americans, particularly of small build generally struggle in England, of course there are exceptions, still don't think he would have done that well with us, we'd waste his talent for a start like we did with Villanueva who I agree was nowhere near as bad as made out. They are the kind of players though who you largely need to build the team around and play to their strengths, we wouldn't have done that.

Oh and for sure I fully expect him to do well for Valencia.

sorry dirk your talking poo. Would you have said the same of zola when chelsea signed him? He went on to be one chelsea's greatest ever players. He came from a league that wasnt a physical one. Are you telling me the best player in the world, messi, wouldnt hack it in the premiership? In your view unless their 6'2 and built like a sh*thouse they wont be able to thrive in the premiership. No wonder the england national team is so far behind the rest in technical terms if thats people's attitudes. Reminds me of schoolboy football, screw possesion, lets kick lumps out of each other.

sorry dirk your talking poo. Would you have said the same of zola when chelsea signed him? He went on to be one chelsea's greatest ever players. He came from a league that wasnt a physical one. Are you telling me the best player in the world, messi, wouldnt hack it in the premiership? In your view unless their 6'2 and built like a sh*thouse they wont be able to thrive in the premiership. No wonder the england national team is so far behind the rest in technical terms if thats people's attitudes. Reminds me of schoolboy football, screw possesion, lets kick lumps out of each other.

Not exactly, kind of the opposite. Maybe it wasn't fair to say he'd struggle in the premiership, more of a case he'd struggle in the premiership playing for us largely for the reasons you've said what's wrong with English and Premiership football.

We'll largely hoof it around the pitch while defenders kick lumps out of him, meanwhile when he gets the ball the likes of Roberts, and Benjani will ofer him little support standing 30 yards away from him.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to Messi and Zola, Messi is almost undoubtedly the best player in the world right now and one of the greatest ever, I'm sure he could play in any league, not that he would go near English football and rightly so. Zola had been a top player for years long before joining Chelsea, let's not forget as well that both players are/were deceptively strong, Messi in particular.

Piatti is undoubtedly an outstanding talent but let's not talk him up as a world beater just yet, I'd have liked to see him in a Rover shirt but I highly doubt he'd be half as effective for us as he was in Spain, largely due to our style of football and the players around him, not due to his own ability.

fair enough dirk, i wasnt having a pop at you and your explanation clears up what you said. Your right he wouldnt fit into our kick and rush style but these kind of players are rarity for that kind of money. We need creativity and i dont care whether they are 6 foot or 5 foot.

What you gave to roverandout is a far better argument, Dirk. Nonetheless, I still have to disagree. Perhaps it isn't totally fair to compare to Zola et al (but the point basically is that technique wins over physique, and can do so even in the Prem), but I think an excellent comparison would be Hoilett. They appear to be similar in a lot of ways, and Hoilett is thriving with us right now. I don't think it's fair to brand our style as kick and rush anymore, and it would practically be impossible for us to play that way if we had had Hoilett and Piatti on the flanks. Kean is no genius but I'm sure he'd be smart enough to get us playing it to the flanks. He seems to bring Hoilett into play as much as he can. Also worth pointing out that from clips and people who have seen him more than I have, he's tougher than his stature suggests. If we're going to stereotype players on the basis of their nationality (which I'm against), it's worth pointing out that Argie footballers tend to be more capable of the rough and tumble than say Brazilians, and IMO tend to adapt better to the Prem.

Archived