BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tablets

Ohmi, get an Archos 70 from Carphone Warehouse online for £99 down from £250.

Got mine delivered yesterday. It's just a 7inch android but does what I want it to do very well.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles/mobile-phones/ARCHOS-70-INTERNET-TABLET

Obviously not the most powerful but if it's for a bit of video, music and browsing you cant go wrong for the price.

The Archos 10.1 which I got from HMV a couple of months ago plays Angry Birds just fine. Pretty much the same hardware as the Archos 70, just a bit bigger screen.

It's not the most powerful device in the world so there is a bit of lag sometimes when scrolling or starting an app but it plays music, video and browses the internet just fine. Theres no 3g but Wifi works just fine at home and I just use my phone as a wi-fi hotspot elsewhere and use that.

You can also plug in a lot of USB devices like keyboards and mice. I plug my external (NTFS formatted) hard drive in and it reads that perfectly and can play HD video files directly from it.

I've since stuck a 32gb micro-sd card in (£30 from amazon) and stored loads of Disney films on for the kids in the car.

For the price you can't fault it.

My usage is going to be similar to Biddys. The 70 is indeed the same hardware but a 7 inch screen insted of a 10 inch.

For £99 its been excellent. I can pick up all of my movies and music through upnp and watch them on the archos. It'll handly 720p but 1080 is pushing it a bit too far. It isn't the most powerful in the world but then at £99 it's not going to be.

Not personally. Don't particularly use youtube on it though but not playing videos would be odd as just like any android device, you can use the app or flash within the browser.

Cheers. Thinking of getting one for the Mrs and just want to check things first.

Isn't the HMV one a newer model (G2)? Without going into all the specs, I can see that it at least has a more recent version of Android on it.

Edit: And it's a 10" screen instead of 7". Or have I missed the flow of the conversation? I'm looking at the CPW one for £99.

• 3 weeks later...

So I went with the Arnova 10 but I am having some bother with their Applib app store. It keeps saying I dont have enough space when in fact I have oodles.

Has anyone else had this problem?

EDIT: Its working today and so must have been a problem their end.

• 2 months later...

I was thinking about upgrading my iPad 2 but have decided to wait for the next iPad, the screen on the new iPad is superb but I just can't justify upgrading, there are some rumours that the next iteration of the iPad will be released in October/November.

I've been reading that one of the biggest improvements on the new ipad is the use of 4G.

However, this is only available in the US. Once the EU finally get their finger out and sort 4G it'll operate on a different frequency to the US anyway.

This means that even buying the new 4G ipad today, it'll NEVER be usable in the UK on the 4G network.

I don't know what these bureaucrats think about all day. :rolleyes:

I'm sure everything else will work fine though.

• Backroom

I got myself a 32gb wifi, Its my first iPad and it's fantastic but not sure I would have upgraded if I had bought a 2 previously.

The screen is beautiful though

Stuart, it works on the 3G network though doesnt it so nothing lost on the previous version in that respect

There are some rumours that the next iteration of the iPad will be released in October/November.

But there was also rumours a new iPhone 5 would drop early this year, which looks very unlikely. Think later this year will see the Apple TV, rather than another iPad.

Iv never purchased an iPad yet, so the 3 would be a good step for me anyway.

But there was also rumours a new iPhone 5 would drop early this year, which looks very unlikely. Think later this year will see the Apple TV, rather than another iPad.

Iv never purchased an iPad yet, so the 3 would be a good step for me anyway.

If this is your first iPad then go for it, superb piece of technology, I have an iPad 2 so for me I would rather wait for the next iteration. It is tempting as the new screen is absolutely gorgeous but can't justify the upgrade.

The rumours are that the iPhone 5 will come out at the end of June, that is earlier than last year when the iPhone 4S was released in September, but agree would be surprised of the iPad 4 was released in October/November.

Archived