BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Anthony Modeste

Hughesy

I didn't envy him being thrown up front on his own in 4-5-1 first game. Hard to impress when no one around you. I'd like to see Kean pair him up with Yak in a 4-4-2. Maybe he could be useful engineering some chances with Yak there to help finish.

Seeing as Kean refuses to put Rochina up there with Yak for some inexplicable reason maybe he'll think about it.

4-4-2? Covers blown i'm afraid.... Where did you park your Tardis?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a strange performance. He seem to have everything except the most important one, composure. Good touch, power and pace, held the ball up well. The ability to both hold the ball up and get behind defences only to fluff every chance. Felt sorry for him, but I was somewhat encouraged. Even being a hit and miss striker, he has the ability to cause trouble and create chances for others. I will take that for a third choice striker.

I think it's a bit early to be drawing conclusions about him yet as before last night he had had 10 minutes of Premier League football. He was expecting to be on the bench until the last minute when Goodwillie was withdrawn. I suspect he was in the end just too eager to impress and was snatching at every half chance. This time last year there were plenty of fans saying what a lousy loan Jermaine Jones was.

I think it's a bit early to be drawing conclusions about him yet as before last night he had had 10 minutes of Premier League football. He was expecting to be on the bench until the last minute when Goodwillie was withdrawn. I suspect he was in the end just too eager to impress and was snatching at every half chance. This time last year there were plenty of fans saying what a lousy loan Jermaine Jones was.

Vey true. I was critical of modeste last night as are people on here, but I think its down to our frustration than the player himself. If he had of been more composed we would have probably won a game we deserved to and badly needed to for hopes of survival.

But I thought he put in a real shift and was knackerd at the end, His first touch and strength at times was brilliant, as was his link up play if people could get on the same wave length as him.

For a first game in this league he lookes like he could do well if he gets the chance.

If he can adapt and get a bit stronger he could be quite a handfull, but if he doesnt improve his finishing it will be a roberts mkII Which wouldnt be bad for a 3rd choice striker.

What a strange performance. He seem to have everything except the most important one, composure. Good touch, power and pace, held the ball up well. The ability to both hold the ball up and get behind defences only to fluff every chance. Felt sorry for him, but I was somewhat encouraged. Even being a hit and miss striker, he has the ability to cause trouble and create chances for others. I will take that for a third choice striker.

Will probably do well in the Championship. Will probably do better with a decent manager.

MERDE, he's regretting it already!

Will probably do well in the Championship. Will probably do better with a decent manager.

MERDE, he's regretting it already!

I don't think he'll be here beyond may.

System was fine. He was just lacking bottle In front of goal

he got chances but it was clear to see that he wasnt match sharp at all and was too slow in making his decisions. simple as that

bad day at teh office for him and Kean should have seen that whipped off after 50 minutes or so. at least goodwillie would have been a little sharper i'd expect.

bad loss, again and we are really on the chopping block now. wolves are struggling like us but bolton have improved alot since cahill left, qpr have invested and will pull away with fulham and the rest now too. we are finished!! :angry2:

he got chances but it was clear to see that he wasnt match sharp at all and was too slow in making his decisions. simple as that

bad day at teh office for him and Kean should have seen that whipped off after 50 minutes or so. at least goodwillie would have been a little sharper i'd expect.

bad loss, again and we are really on the chopping block now. wolves are struggling like us but bolton have improved alot since cahill left, qpr have invested and will pull away with fulham and the rest now too. we are finished!! :angry2:

so who did we have on the bench to replace him - Jordan Slew? He stayed on presumably because we didn't have any other choice to play in his place.

Give him a chance, he may have been a little nervous and getting on his back will certainly not help. I thought there was plenty to be positive about.

Strikers need confidence, lets not knock this out of him so soon. He may turn out to be average, but, at the time, I thought Yak was a poor signing and I'm pleased I have been proved wrong so far.

• 3 weeks later...

In relation to Modeste, I thought he got himself into good positions at Newcastle and was involved in nearly every attack but snatched when he had a sniff at goal.

However, I had the chance to watch him recently and this fella has a real talent. He scored an outrageous overhead-kick and nearly every other shot went into the net. I was apprehensive about him at the start but if he's able to bring the composure I saw of him in front of goal into the Premier League he'll make a huge difference to our attack and could link up very well with Yakubu.

In relation to Modeste, I thought he got himself into good positions at Newcastle and was involved in nearly every attack but snatched when he had a sniff at goal.

However, I had the chance to watch him recently and this fella has a real talent. He scored an outrageous overhead-kick and nearly every other shot went into the net. I was apprehensive about him at the start but if he's able to bring the composure I saw of him in front of goal into the Premier League he'll make a huge difference to our attack and could link up very well with Yakubu.

Where did you watch him? youtube :lol:

Where did you see that?

I think we've all seen that composure and clinical finish aren't his strong points. His goal scoring record to date backs this up as well.

Plus playing him with Yakubu is asking for trouble. We don't have the midfielders to play 4-4-2, it was that mistake that nearly cost us the win against QPR.

He'll do a decent job as an impact sub as his physical attributes will cause defenders different problems to Yakubu, but I don't think he'll ever amount to more than that.

Archived