BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Anthony Modeste

Hughesy

23 year old French Striker linked with loan move, apparently we had reps at his latest game and he is expected on loan.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2087099/Anthony-Modeste-loan-Blackburn-Rovers.html

He's been confirmed as the loan man by Makey. Anyone know anything about him? Is he quick, strong? What type of striker?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pulling together stuff on Wiki and the on Bordeaux club website, he's a 23 year-old 6' 1" striker, weighing just short of 13 stone, whom Bordeaux signed from fellow-League 1 side Nice for [?] 3.5 million Euros in 2010.

This season, he's made 17 appearances [6 starts; 11 subs] and scored 3 goals, one of which was a penalty, so, if the Yak's out for 3 games and we get a pen,..! He's made 38 appearances altogether for Bordeaux and scored 11 goals. The club website goes into more detail on its players than ours does and says his right foot is the stronger!

He's also got 6 goals in 15 appearances for the French Under-21 team.

There are very strong rumours this morning that Modeste is set to join Rovers on loan until the end of the season.

He's a player that I don't know much about, so does anyone know anything about him?

His stats seems decent. Surely this means Johnson isn´t coming? Kamy, do you excpect this going through before next match?

His stats seems decent. Surely this means Johnson isn´t coming? Kamy, do you excpect this going through before next match?

Never expect anything with Rovers at moment, but reliable people saying that it could be done before the next match, but with Rovers things change on a daily basis so you never know.

Dont know anything about this player, but as the article says it might suit him if he comes in now that Yak is suspended. Quite an okey goalscoring record for Bordeux with 11 goals in 38 matches. A better record per now than Maroune Chamakh as an example.

I´d take Modeste before Johnson anyday.

If we loan him (with an agreed fee to buy this time) until summer and he does well we can buy him if we stay up.

He is only 23 and has done pretty good in Ligue 1 so it might be possible to make some money on him.

I´d take Modeste before Johnson anyday.

If we loan him (with an agreed fee to buy this time) until summer and he does well we can buy him if we stay up.

He is only 23 and has done pretty good in Ligue 1 so it might be possible to make some money on him.

Don't know anything about him but we need a strong guy up front to hold the ball up in the absence of the Yak. Goodwillie doesn't do that (and nor does AJ). Would quite like to see a pacy striker come in as well (AJ or Maynard).

Everybody knows that we need a striker and this guy seems to fit the bill better than Johnson (has physique to play up front alone).

Once had great promise but hasn't quite fulfilled.

One obvious reservation - how long will it take for him to settle (Formica, Rochina, Petro, Simon) ?

I thought Kean said he wanted guys woho could hit the ground running !!!

Just confirms that we have no money.

I thought Kean said he wanted guys woho could hit the ground running !!!

Just confirms that we have no money.

Confirms we have no money? Sorry Misery but it doesnt....you dont ever pass up good opportunities. A 23 year old who has played at international level for the U21's on loan, with potential to sign him if he does good. Nothing wrong with looking at the option. Better than spunking £4m on him and him turning out rubbish!

Confirms we have no money? Sorry Misery but it doesnt....you dont ever pass up good opportunities. A 23 year old who has played at international level for the U21's on loan, with potential to sign him if he does good. Nothing wrong with looking at the option. Better than spunking £4m on him and him turning out rubbish!

In fairness to Mercerman, I think he's spot on. Kean said he wanted to sign players early in the window and who could hit the ground running in the Premier League. Whilst this guy may have potential it is still a gamble as to how soon he takes to settle. Let's be honest, Goodwillie is still struggling six months after signing and he only came from Scotland! We need experienced Premier League players who can come into the team and do a job right away. We haven't time to see if they settle.

As I said, this guy may be decent, then again he may be another Rigters. However, his signing shows that it is Desai who is calling the shots and not Kean. We are now in the second half of the month - so much for getting his transfer business done early. One suspects that Kean won't get anything to spend until Samba or Hoilett have been sold. I think that suggests we have no money.

Who the feck are you to call me misery.

I'm just a realist.

Matt Derbyshire had potential - enough said.

You want to get in the real world - this is not Football Manager.

We are now a club, IMO, with very little credibility, very little money and a manager who, again IMO, has ripped our club to pieces.

Oh come on you are utterly miserable! And relentless...

Another sheep !

How many matches have you been to this season ?

Look at my post after Saturday's match in the Fulham thread. I was absolutely ecstatic and delighted !

Matt Derbyshire had potential - enough said.

No, its not enough said, it's nowhere near enough said. Derbyshire is just one example and not one that really resembles this deal in any way whatsoever. Samba had potential, so did N'Zonzi, so did Nelsen, so did Olsson, so did Hoilett, etc etc.

Rovers have to take chances on cheap/loaned foreigners - we've done it for years not just under Venky's.

• Backroom

Just hoping this is not another JJ.. Please Venkys if you are going to sign someone with potential on loan, get the potential signing and fee down in writing.

Another JJ? God forbid we sign someone who will keep us up?

We most likely have no interest in making it permanent so just have to hope he does a job

No, its not enough said, it's nowhere near enough said. Derbyshire is just one example and not one that really resembles this deal in any way whatsoever. Samba had potential, so did N'Zonzi, so did Nelsen, so did Olsson, so did Hoilett, etc etc.

Rovers have to take chances on cheap/loaned foreigners - we've done it for years not just under Venky's.

T4E - think you are missing the point.

We are supposed to be in a brave new world when we "no longer have to sell our best players" and can "enjoy competitive budgets".

Absolute shyte, IMO - owing to gross mismanagement, I don't think we have a pot to p1ss in and it's virtually 'beg, steal or borrow' (words from an old New Seekers' song).

Archived