BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Scott Dann

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

tin hat on in preparation for this and I know they've both had poor seasons but if Wolves go down does anyone reckon it would be worth getting Johnson on the cheap and try to rejuvenate the partnership they had at Birmingham, can't understand why two players who were class last season could all of a sudden become so poor.

tin hat on in preparation for this and I know they've both had poor seasons but if Wolves go down does anyone reckon it would be worth getting Johnson on the cheap and try to rejuvenate the partnership they had at Birmingham, can't understand why two players who were class last season could all of a sudden become so poor.

I think it's worth remembering that despite all the hype surrounding that partnership Birmingham were relegated last season, that speaks volumes for me.

Frankly Dann is utter dross and at best should only make the bench.

Each to their own though.

thinking back there was a spell of about 6 months when zurab got a decent run in the team 5 or 6 years ago and never did a thing wrong playing alongside nelsen...then for whatever reason probably signing samba his career fizzled out here.

I totally agree with you about that, BRFC.

For me, the change was Sam's arrival. Sam [a centre-half himself, let's not forget] obviously never rated Zurab; within weeks of Sam's arrival, Zurab was relegated to being a fringe player, captaining the team in Cup games [e.g. Blyth Spartans (A)], but never with a prayer of establishing himself as a regular.

I think it's worth remembering that despite all the hype surrounding that partnership Birmingham were relegated last season, that speaks volumes for me.

Frankly Dann is utter dross and at best should only make the bench.

Each to their own though.

Probably, I think that was more due to a lack of goals scored as they were the lowest scoring side in the league if I remember rightly?

I agree that Dann has been complete crap this season, I have mentioned it before in this thread, but I'm just thinking of something that could be an alternative when (not if) Samba leaves in the summer, can't see many big names queueing up to sign for us to be honest.

And Stephane Henchoz was our best player in 98/99 and went on to win trophies with Liverpool. Doesn't mean squat.

Still have some hope for Dann but you can hardly make a case for him based on what we've seen so far.

Dann is capable of being a decent quality premier league center half...he needs a settled partner of equal quality. He's new, probably a lot of negativity in the squad samba nelsen gone...playing next to uselessness in Hanley and the rest.....give the guy a break we'll need him next seasin. That is if Everton dont buy him.

He's not an £8m defender is the simple answer. He had one very good year with Johnson the season Birmingham finished 9th and both of them have been over-valued as a result. He's our version of Andy Carroll. In Kean's defence most managers have a big money flop at some point or another but this guy is a big, big money flop. Spending £8m on a defender is like spending £15m on a striker, he should have been at least as good as Samba for the amount we paid for him. This season he's barely been better than Hanley.

His recent career? He's only played 2 seasons in the premiership and 1 ended in relegation! The guy doesn't have pedigree, he has 1 good season to hang his hat on and somehow that season resulted in a club paying big money for him. He reminds me a lot of Santa Cruz in that respect. The circumstances haven't been great for his debut season at Rovers but the guy wins about 20% of headers, isn't quick and isn't that strong. I honestly don't know what all the fuss was about.

The only reason that Dann's starting is that if he doesn't then Venky's will be on the back of Kean asking why their 8 million defender isn't playing, and Kean doesn't have the bullock to tell them that he's playing bad and seems A WASTE of their money.

This season Hanley has easily been head and shoulders above Dann so should be above him in the pecking order (behind Givet and Samba once his attitudes sorted out). But again the lack of a good manager is what's keeping him on the bench. Lets hope he early promises of talent don't go to waste.

This season Hanley has easily been head and shoulders above Dann so should be above him in the pecking order (behind Givet and Samba once his attitudes sorted out). But again the lack of a good manager is what's keeping him on the bench. Lets hope he early promises of talent don't go to waste.

Ridiculous comment. You survey every premier league manager and Id wager they would rather have Dann than Hanley. Hanley has been terrible...his distribution is hopeless.

• Moderation Lead

Ridiculous comment. You survey every premier league manager and Id wager they would rather have Dann than Hanley. Hanley has been terrible...his distribution is hopeless.

?

Lately he's been massively improved!

A bit unfair that , granted he hss had some poor games, but since xmas he has played well..He is only young as for Dann the championship beckons with us very likely !! Basically that is his level ..

In his last games few Hanley has been a rock. If any manager picked Dann over Hanley it would be because of the form he showed at Birmingham.

Johnson and Dann , were highly regarded centre halves at Birmingham according to reports , they were relegated and where did the 2 highly regarded players end up ???

Johnson to Wolverhampton Wanderers working with Mad Mick .

Dann to Blackburn Rovers working with a clown of epic proportions ..

I rest my case .

Johnson hasn't played very well for Wolves either.

I think both of them had a decent 12 months after arriving in the PL (as can often happen with players stepping up in their first year), but are really just good Championship level defenders.

From what I saw of Brum of 24 months ago, the first 11 when fit were a well drilled team that complimented each other well. Once one or two of them got injured you saw holes develop in the team hence why they got relegated. Dann was just just one part of the team that performed well. Out of that group he and Johnson have been shown to be what they are, average players.

Guest TheArtistFormallyKnownAsJB

I find it hard to take how relentless and ruthless some of you "supporters" are.

Anyone who can simply state that a player is "terrible" or "hopeless" without giving any reason or logic is not worth the bandwidth of the forum. Dann, Petrovic, Vuckevic, Goodwillie etc are all new signings that I have seen hammered by fans, without giving much proof in terms of analysis

I understand that our performances have been poor over the last 12 months due to hopeless tactics at the best of time, such as sticking with players who are either unfit or out of form or not changing/meddling with the system at the wrong times. Dann in particular has been unimpressive, but he has shown glimpses of being a strong leader before his testicular injury and a partnership between him and Samba was in the offing if it wasn't for Big Chris going AWOL. The money we spent on him cannot be described as a waste at this point because we are only 6 months into his career. The same goes for Petrovic, who has shown great passing accuracy, but looked extremely slow at other times. Both players have the raw materials to succeed at this level, but only time will tell in terms of a player being a "waste of money"

I would suggest the fans spend more time supporting the players on the pitch, and questioning the reasoning behind the signing of the players who haven't even looked like playing. Myles and Bruno to name but two.

Anyone who can simply state that a player is "terrible" or "hopeless" without giving any reason or logic is not worth the bandwidth of the forum. Dann, Petrovic, Vuckevic, Goodwillie etc are all new signings that I have seen hammered by fans, without giving much proof in terms of analysis

Fans can only comment on what they've seen from those players, and none of them have been worth much cop. Unless you wish to make a case for them? That would actually be a more "reasonable" and "logical" response instead of simply slagging off the fans for having a opinion that isn't bespectacled with blue n' white.

I would suggest the fans spend more time supporting the players on the pitch, and questioning the reasoning behind the signing of the players who haven't even looked like playing. Myles and Bruno to name but two.

What's the point? We all know the score with those two.

Dann is like most other center halves in the top flight. He could and would look good when playing for a manager who drills his team on the art of defending. Very few center halves could join our ranks and shine immediately. This is because the manager has little to no idea how to organise the back four. Our lack of clean sheets is testament to this. If Hughes had Dann he could get a tune out of him. It is no coincidence Dann and Johnson played their best football under Mcleish. It works the other way too. Is it any wonder Seb Larsson is suddenly looking a better player than when he worked under Mcleish?

Really? Whenever I've seen him he has been useless. Wigan away sticks out for me...truly shocking. Proper clogger...there's better playing non-league. In fact I reckon there's better down pleasington.

What a ridiculous post!

Have you been watching the games???

Hanley has been outstanding the recent games he has played.

I find it hard to take how relentless and ruthless some of you "supporters" are.

I understand that our performances have been poor over the last 12 months due to hopeless tactics at the best of time, such as sticking with players who are either unfit or out of form or not changing/meddling with the system at the wrong times. Dann in particular has been unimpressive, but he has shown glimpses of being a strong leader before his testicular injury and a partnership between him and Samba was in the offing if it wasn't for Big Chris going AWOL. The money we spent on him cannot be described as a waste at this point because we are only 6 months into his career. The same goes for Petrovic, who has shown great passing accuracy, but looked extremely slow at other times. Both players have the raw materials to succeed at this level, but only time will tell in terms of a player being a "waste of money"

A-1.

Archived