BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why is it this country...

Because the cost of having all the equipment/technology/man power to keep the country moving vs. the cost of working days lost due to cold weather doesn't add up.

People always mention the likes of Canada when comparing to us, but it's very different for countries that have prolonged cold periods.

Because the cost of having all the equipment/technology/man power to keep the country moving vs. the cost of working days lost due to cold weather doesn't add up.

How come the rest of Europe appears to manage alright?

People always mention the likes of Canada when comparing to us, but it's very different for countries that have prolonged cold periods.

You make a really excellent point (as always). I hadn't thought of it like that before.

You make a really excellent point (as always). I hadn't thought of it like that before.

Just regurgitating an article I read as usual...

I think it was a BBC article, but I'd always wondered too so it stuck in my mind because it made perfect sense when they worded it like they did. Tried having a look but I can't find it.

I think it was the man-power that was the main issue. You obviously can't have a dedicated, professional team on standby for an event that probably happens 7 days or so (rough guess) in a year. So you have to a group of people that do other jobs full-time, but are fully trained and able to drop their main job with little warning when we get the big freeze. The technology/machinery is more simple in that it's basically a case of finding the money to buy them (but even then, storage, maintenance and security when they're not in use have to be factored in).

The article went into some length about the logistics of such a thing, and by comparison talked about the systems used in countries where they have more cold weather and how much it all costs. They compared this to the estimated costs of lost work days and showed why it's not really logical to have the infrastructure to deal with it.

It's actually become far less of an issue (financially at least) over the last decade or so since a lot of people have the facilities to work from home now due to things like remote connectivity. So if the government didn't do anything about it 10-15 years ago, they certainly won't now!

Germans are regarded to make the best cars in the world by popular concensus. Germany gets lots of snow. Why are German cars absolutely useless in snow? :huh:

Cos when it snows in Germany they use snow tyres and if its really bad they use tyre-chains. We just use multi-purpose tyres that aint multi-purpose.

When we were in Zurich two winters ago it started snowing in mid December and then snowed on and off until early March. I was out and about most days usually within a 50km radius of Zurich. After night snow falls the ploughs would have done their job by first light and even in tiny villages there were trikes with little ploughs on the front that used to clear the pavements just as efficiently. Add that to winter tyres and snow chains in the more mountainous areas and any disruption was virtually non existant. We went on a train journey over the alps to the Italian side of Switzerland. The line climbed to a height of over 7000 feet. It was a winter wonderland, the train had a plough on the front in case of need and again there were no problems. Great to see.

Anyone else mildly amused by the BBC's desperate attempt to turn the current wintery weather into a crisis. Reporters seem to be dashing round the country to wherever snow is forecast - it either ends up with no snow and a bit chilly or a whole 4cms and not much crisis to talk about!!!!!

The disruption caused in Britain last year by the snow cost the economy billions. I really thought that it would have been more cost effective to buy more machinery to clear roads, airports, train lines and whatever else, thus saving in the long run. But there are more qualified people to make those decisions.

However with this situation has happened for the past couple of years now, so over time the cost has added up and yet Britain is still totally under prepared for a situation like this.

Anyone else mildly amused by the BBC's desperate attempt to turn the current wintery weather into a crisis. Reporters seem to be dashing round the country to wherever snow is forecast - it either ends up with no snow and a bit chilly or a whole 4cms and not much crisis to talk about!!!!!

What I cant fathom is the need for standard everyday weather reports to be presented from outside venues. ie the roof of bbc centre or the blue peter garden

In the time of cuts, is there a need for the extra expenditure of outside broadcasts, waste license fees in my opinion.

What I cant fathom is the need for standard everyday weather reports to be presented from outside venues. ie the roof of bbc centre or the blue peter garden

In the time of cuts, is there a need for the extra expenditure of outside broadcasts, waste license fees in my opinion.

Not just the weather though is it? Reporters are regularly despatched to the grounds of Westminster Palace, Buckingham Palace, the gates of whichever company is in the news, naval dockyards, RAF airodromes, mway bridges etc. It's all daft and especially daft with modern TV technology which can easily add whatever background suits.

I wonder if this would be allowed in England if ever it got cold enough? They've turned Nymphenburger Canal into a place where people can play curling, ice hockey and skating.

6856974357_58274a7031_z.jpg

Probably not. Health and safety...

Germans are regarded to make the best cars in the world by popular concensus. Germany gets lots of snow. Why are German cars absolutely useless in snow? :huh:

I'll have to defend them a little bit here because it depends which German car you have and how it is powered. I have a BMW X5 and it is excellent in the snow. My wife previously had a Mercedes SLK and it was excellent in the snow at staying on the spot and rotating in pretty circles...she got rid and now has an Audi A4 Quattro which is absolutely fantastic in snow.

I agree with your initial theory though and have wondered the same - Why do Germans often produce rear wheel drive cars that are totally pathetic/deadly in snow and ice??

BMW and Mercedes produce rear wheel drive cars for the same reason that Jaguar do - they are expected to by their market as front wheel drive = cheap shopping cart.

Audi go with four wheel drive and badge everything 'quattro' to cash in on their old rallying heritage.

Winter performance would be significantly improved by winter tyres. Mandatory in Germany, not bothered with here.

Archived