BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers v Sunderland (H) - Man of the Match

MOTM - Rovers v Sunderland (H)  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your MOTM?

So hard to choose. Eventually I narrowed it down to Pedersen, Hanley, Formica and Yakubu. The only three I ruled out completely were Robinson, Dann and Marcus, but they didn't have bad games.

Nobody really stood out for me, it was just a good, hard-working team performance. I went for Peds in the end, his work rate was immense and his positional play was very responsible - he covered the Olsson's well when both ventured forward. His set pieces offered a constant threat though, which eventually pipped it for me. The long throws always looked dangerous, he teed up Hanley perfectly from a free kick and was whiskers away from scoring himself.

Like I said though, hardly anything in it. If Hanley maintains this form he'll be the best centre half at the club, Formica puts in twice the shift that anyone else can on the right wing, and Yakubu is just quality...I had no idea his link play was so polished before we bought him.

i voted formica aswell, as above worked his bloody chops off.

everytime I saw a sunderland defender or midfielder with the ball he was either hassling to get the ball back or on his way over to get stuck in. hes a tough little lad this one and hard to get the ball off when he goes into the corners. one of my favourite players at the moment.

hanley a very close second, playing with confidence and has started to read the game very well. some of his perfomances last season were diabolical particularly one of the aston villa away cup games but he has come on leaps and bounds since then. proper hardnut.

Went for N'zonzi, could also have been Hanley or Pedersen on the night for me.

I often argue with people over Pedersen last night he was good on the ball, covered brilliantly for Martin Olsson whenever he looked to get forward from left back, and his corners/throw-ins were excellent. He isn't a world beater, but he is a solid, comfortable, PL player with a lot of experience, we don't have many of them left!

N'zonzi however is my favourite player by a mile. He's just the heartbeat of the team. So calm and composed on the ball. Wouldn't mind seeing his pass completion stats last night, can't really remember him giving the ball away. He'll fit in nicely at Arsenal when Wenger comes knocking.

I wanted to vote Campbell. Couldn't believe O'Neil didn't bench him at half time.

(Hoilett got my vote in the end)

Thought Sunderlands' Bardsley played very well for them.

N'zonzi however is my favourite player by a mile. He's just the heartbeat of the team. So calm and composed on the ball. Wouldn't mind seeing his pass completion stats last night, can't really remember him giving the ball away. He'll fit in nicely at Arsenal when Wenger comes knocking.

Agreed. The guy is as strong as an ox, don't think I've ever seen someone knock him off the ball. Most under-rated player we have.

Glad to see Hanley getting some credit, thought he played well last night, particularly his tackle when Campbell got goal side of him and a real Hendry-esque tackle in front of the Riverside to stop a Sunderland breakaway.

Credit to everyone though, good team performance.

I went for Peds in the end,

That's a shock .... :P

He did well enough last night to not stand out, and is definitely vastly better in the centre than out wide but his work rate wasn't all that, certainly nothing like Formica who ran himself into the ground. Would still prefer Orr at RB and Lowe in the centre but, we won, so happy days.

N'Zonzi was MOTM for me though - dominated midfield, pass completion was excellent and seems to have been told to know his limitations and keep it simple - far more effective as a result.

Marcus looks raw, but offers pace which in his position is the key attribute - scared their full back to death, particularly when overlapping with Martin.

Hanley is beginning to look now like the player we were told was better than Phil Jones as a youngster, and is arguably (on form at least) our best central defender.

Still don't think that Kean is the answer, but there's no doubt that the players are behind him and team morale seems excellent at the moment.

It's taken me some time to pick a MOTM which suggests it was a great team performance.

Definitely not getting it are Robbo who had very little to do, Lowe who got run a little ragged, Pederson whose first half performance was atrocious and Marcus O who should buy a pair of football boots and not play in slippy goloshers.

I toyed with Formica who is a "lovely" footballer and worked his socks off again, Junior and Yak for scoring the goals, Mr B Orr whom I would rather see 90 minutes of (what a great cross!) and the two CBs who were faultless.

I've gone for Dann because of his apparent organisation of the defence and his timely tackles (OK, I know there were the same from Martin O and Hanley)

Nzonzi is an enigma. He is great on the ball but often doesn't know what to do with it. It's as if his brain can't keep up with his feet.

Edit

I've just seen the other votes and read previous comments. Isn't it strange how people see things differently. It all helps the world go round. It's what being a football fan is all about too.

Also agree with M G Road about Bardsley having a great game for them.

First time I've voted for MGP.

He did have a couple of loose passes though.

I appreciate his work rate. And then having to take every throw. But he is also a good leader on the pitch.

Notable mentions to Hanley, yak (legend), hoillet (keep it up lad), El Gato (how their keeper saved that I do not know) and the Fonz (lovely balance for a longbody). Mind you, olsson's last ditch tackle was superb. Have I missed anyone :-)

Guest Wen Y Hu

The poll is now closed. Thanks to all for voting.

The result will be announced on the front page in due course.

Archived