BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] happy st george's day

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it not time to stop bothering with St. George's Day?

Venerated for his rejection of Roman paganism, even though the Catholic Church that made him a saint had incorporated most pagan traditions into their faith.

Celebrated in England despite having completely different values and never setting foot in the country. And if he had I'm sure certain members here would have complained about "another bloody immigrant".

Let's just scrap it and have an England Day. Or even better, an It's Ok To Be Xenophobic Day. Both those things are closer to what St. George's Day really means to England now.

Is it not time to stop bothering with St. George's Day?

Venerated for his rejection of Roman paganism, even though the Catholic Church that made him a saint had incorporated most pagan traditions into their faith.

Celebrated in England despite having completely different values and never setting foot in the country. And if he had I'm sure certain members here would have complained about "another bloody immigrant".

Let's just scrap it and have an England Day. Or even better, an It's Ok To Be Xenophobic Day. Both those things are closer to what St. George's Day really means to England now.

See you next tuesday

Still here for now, and I'm not really complaining, just pointing out the inherent stupidity of basing a celebration of national pride around the martyrdom of a man who had nothing to do with the country.

Instead of trying to find reasons why I'm not entitled to an opinion (very British of you), why don't you explain what the link between St. George and England is?

Maybe it's my ignorance, but I was under the impression that Richard I heard the story of St George while he was in the Middle East killing the local Muslims and Jews and brought back the idea of St. George as the patron of the English people.

Basically, the rationale for St. George's day here is actually "it was a good story".

Still here for now, and I'm not really complaining, just pointing out the inherent stupidity of basing a celebration of national pride around the martyrdom of a man who had nothing to do with the country.

Instead of trying to find reasons why I'm not entitled to an opinion (very British of you), why don't you explain what the link between St. George and England is?

Maybe it's my ignorance, but I was under the impression that Richard I heard the story of St George while he was in the Middle East killing the local Muslims and Jews and brought back the idea of St. George as the patron of the English people.

Basically, the rationale for St. George's day here is actually "it was a good story".

See you next tuesday

Because I want people to think about things rather than keeping a tradition that they don't actually understand?

I'm sorry if you would rather have people uneducated and simply accepting everything they're told to do.

Maybe it's my ignorance, .

You're right for once: you are ignorant.

The flag of St George has been happily fluttering in the front garden of chez jim all day. 23rd April is a double celebration in the family because it is also an offspring's birthday. William Shakespeare was born on the 23rd April too. A great day all round.

You're right for once: you are ignorant.

The flag of St George has been happily fluttering in the front garden of chez jim all day. 23rd April is a double celebration in the family because it is also an offspring's birthday. William Shakespeare was born on the 23rd April too. A great day all round.

Come on Jim, you can do better than that. Just because you've flown a flag and that's one of your offspring's & Shakespeare's birthdays doesn't denegrate Jenu's comment. Get in there with some historical facts & reasoning why we should bother about St George's day.

Shakespeare also died on April 23rd, so maybe a bit of a mixed day for him.

Yup, certainly left his mark during his short stay on this planet didn't he ?

Now, apart from slagging off your own country on a football messageboard please outline on your own contribution to the human race.

Anyway, what was the point of St. George's day again?

Patriotism dear boy, loyalty and love of country, of England and all things English- an alien concept to you of course.

Best wishes to the former British colony of Tanzania.

Once again, St. George was not English, never visited England and, in fact, England wasn't an independent country during his lifetime.

Bearing those things in mind, I still want someone to explain the link between English national pride and St. George, because it just makes no sense to me.

He isn't a part of English heritage, his story was just borrowed and then completely changed. I know taking things we like from the rest of the world is very English, but apart from that I can't fathom the connection for the life me.

Once more, what has St. George got to do with England?

He's our national saint...

But why?

I'm not Christian anyway, so saints mean nothing to me, but even following Christian logic I can't grasp this one. Why George?

The great thing about knowing your own ignorance is it keeps you looking for answers while those who feel themselves enlightened congratulate themselves on knowing everything. The problem comes when you ask those enlightened folks for answers and they apparently can't give a logical answer to a simple question.

3 people have replied to me and yet we still haven't established any good reason for St. George to be patron saint of England.

But why?

I'm not Christian anyway, so saints mean nothing to me, but even following Christian logic I can't grasp this one. Why George?

The great thing about knowing your own ignorance is it keeps you looking for answers while those who feel themselves enlightened congratulate themselves on knowing everything. The problem comes when you ask those enlightened folks for answers and they apparently can't give a logical answer to a simple question.

3 people have replied to me and yet we still haven't established any good reason for St. George to be patron saint of England.

Wow, honest.....would never have guesed!!! We all know what you are!!

The "why" is irrelevant. It's ancient history. The fact is he is, so our national day is on his saint's day. That's the long and the short of it.

The reason you're not getting a better response isn't because people aren't up to the challenge, it's because they can't be arsed with you or your petty gcse level debate. Wind your neck in and move on.

The "why" is irrelevant. It's ancient history. The fact is he is, so our national day is on his saint's day. That's the long and the short of it.

The reason you're not getting a better response isn't because people aren't up to the challenge, it's because they can't be arsed with you or your petty gcse level debate. Wind your neck in and move on.

I did get a response, and it didn't make sense. If it's so easy to explain then why doesn't someone just give me the answer and be done with it?

"Why" is never irrelevant. You really think people should give up looking for logic behind things?

Funny how I'm apparently the one who is so ignorant yet I haven't resorted to denigrating anyone else's intelligence, unlike some of those who disagree with me.

It doesn't make sense to you because you do not understand patriotism.

I understand the concept, I just don't think it's a value that should be highly prized. But still there is no semblance of a reasonable explanation why St. George has anything to do with England.

I give up, though. You're obviously not going to come up with an answer, you're just going to tell me that my understanding is limited by the fact that I like to think about things rather than just accepting them.

Archived