BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] America

I am looking at going to America for two weeks roughly for a holiday at the start of December for two weeks.

Now I have no idea at how far places are or where to go in fact. Places such as San Diego, Fransico etc. What in reality is acheiveable to do in two weeks and cost wise etc?

Any help would be much appreicated,

Thanks.

I went to Chicago in September and it was ace! I spent approx $900 in 9 days inc 2 baseball tickets n 1 nfl ticket (altogether $240). I would say in terms of food/drink it is comparable to here, but moreso than here with food you get what you pay for.$10 will get u a cheap n cheerful meal, but it wont be great by any stretch. I was lucky to go to a top class reataurant in dowtown, which had I paid (long story!) Wudve been $140 each!

I would say if you are going for 2 weeks then Id do a 2city trip. In the bigger cities theres always plenty to do, but i always reckon 1 week is about a good time to explore a place. Id check statravel for multi-city tripa, they usually do good prices.

I was in San Francisco a few years ago. It was a brilliant city. It had a really laid back atmosphere, it was visually a nice city, with lots to do and see, with the famous street cars, China Town, the piers, Alcatraz, the Golden Gate Bridge and much more. It wasn't overly hot either which was great, with a lovely breeze from off the bay keeping the city cool. I loved it and want to go back and maybe take in Portland, Oregon as well which is supposed to be great. San Francisco is expensive though. Not in blindingly obvious way, where you are taken aback by the cost of stuff, but your money can run out very quickly there.

I’ve done the west coast to death and can tell you any trip to anywhere would be worth the effort, it’s a wonderful place.

First ever trip took in La (3 days) Vegas (2 days) drive through Yosemite (1 night) then to Santra Cruz on the coast (1 night) san fran (3 nights) then back down the coast taking Monterrey and Carmel and last night in LA before coming home.

Its a good deal of driving, but thats part of the fun. If you're under 25 you get hammered on insurance for the car but all in all its a great trip.

I used to go to the San Francisco area a lot for work and it is a superb city with lots to see. Travel around on the cable cars which are great fun and cheap transport. If you want to go a bit further take the BART (Bay area rapid transport) or a car into the Napa Valley to see the vinyards and sample the product. I never got to LA but my son says it is brilliant.

My favourite though is San Diego. Have a beer at the Top of the Hyatt, brilliant views. Go to the world famous zoo. Have a meal in the gaslight district. Play golf at Torre Pines and take a short drive to Tijuana (don't forget your passport).It's a magic place with a perfect horseshoe bay. I'm getting itchy feet just writing about it. Need to go there again.

I’ve done the west coast to death and can tell you any trip to anywhere would be worth the effort, it’s a wonderful place.

First ever trip took in La (3 days) Vegas (2 days) drive through Yosemite (1 night) then to Santra Cruz on the coast (1 night) san fran (3 nights) then back down the coast taking Monterrey and Carmel and last night in LA before coming home.

Its a good deal of driving, but thats part of the fun. If you're under 25 you get hammered on insurance for the car but all in all its a great trip.

Done something similar twice now. First time LA - San Diego - Palm Springs - Phoenix - Grand Canyon Village - Page - Monument Valley - Bryce Canyon - Las Vegas - Death Valley - Yosemite - Sacramento - San Francisco - Monterey - Ventura - LA. That took about 3 weeks.

Also did Vegas - Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Vegas - Mono Lake - Yosemite - San Francisco which took about two weeks, although we were in Vegas for 5 days total.

Absolutely loved it both times - ultimate holiday for me. Like Gav says, the driving is all part of the experience particularly through places like Death Valley.

Many thanks.

Gav, that sounds good to me. How much was all of that if you don't mind me asking?

Did that back in 92 on £2500.

I'd say about 4k these days:

£1000 for flights

£1400 for hotels

£300 for car

Rest for eating, petrol and sight seeing

Just been to Vegas and Utah for 10 days in total and did 5k, so you cut your cloth I guess roversWASmylife.

• Moderation Lead

Whatever you do, I'd advise hiring a car. Public transport there is not really that great IMO!

I've done LA extensively, San Diego, Grand Canyon and had a night in Vegas- great times!

• 2 weeks later...

I used to go to the San Francisco area a lot for work and it is a superb city with lots to see. Travel around on the cable cars which are great fun and cheap transport. If you want to go a bit further take the BART (Bay area rapid transport) or a car into the Napa Valley to see the vinyards and sample the product. I never got to LA but my son says it is brilliant.

My favourite though is San Diego. Have a beer at the Top of the Hyatt, brilliant views. Go to the world famous zoo. Have a meal in the gaslight district. Play golf at Torre Pines and take a short drive to Tijuana (don't forget your passport).It's a magic place with a perfect horseshoe bay. I'm getting itchy feet just writing about it. Need to go there again.

+1

Done something similar twice now. First time LA - San Diego - Palm Springs - Phoenix - Grand Canyon Village - Page - Monument Valley - Bryce Canyon - Las Vegas - Death Valley - Yosemite - Sacramento - San Francisco - Monterey - Ventura - LA. That took about 3 weeks.

Also did Vegas - Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Vegas - Mono Lake - Yosemite - San Francisco which took about two weeks, although we were in Vegas for 5 days total.

Absolutely loved it both times - ultimate holiday for me. Like Gav says, the driving is all part of the experience particularly through places like Death Valley.

+1

Both of the above posts hit it on the head.

San Diego is a great place. You can spend an entire two weeks there alone and have a great trip. Make sure to check out the Gas Light District, the Zoo, Sea World, and La Jolla and Pacific Beach.

If you want to include the outdoors, I'd recommend a few days in San Diego, then drive to Phoenix for a few days, Pinetop/Lakeside, Grand Canyon, Vegas, then San Diego again. San Diego and Phoenix will have tons to do, including athletic events, Pinetop takes you into the real mountain and forest, Grand Canyon is a natural wonder (take the mule trip to the bottom and consider the day rafting trip), Vegas is self explanatory (best to limit yourself to one night) and finish up again in San Diego.

If you travels take you through Laughlin, Nevada, drop a note. I have no problem buying a fellow traveling Rovers fan a beer. :)

+1

+1

Both of the above posts hit it on the head.

San Diego is a great place. You can spend an entire two weeks there alone and have a great trip. Make sure to check out the Gas Light District, the Zoo, Sea World, and La Jolla and Pacific Beach.

If you want to include the outdoors, I'd recommend a few days in San Diego, then drive to Phoenix for a few days, Pinetop/Lakeside, Grand Canyon, Vegas, then San Diego again. San Diego and Phoenix will have tons to do, including athletic events, Pinetop takes you into the real mountain and forest, Grand Canyon is a natural wonder (take the mule trip to the bottom and consider the day rafting trip), Vegas is self explanatory (best to limit yourself to one night) and finish up again in San Diego.

If you travels take you through Laughlin, Nevada, drop a note. I have no problem buying a fellow traveling Rovers fan a beer. :)

My family and I took the trip in 2009

Flew from Manchester to Heathrow

Heathrow to LA

3 Days in LA - Went to Santa Monica pier/beach, Hollywood, (to see my other team) Dodgers at Dodger Stadium

Then travelled to the Grand Canyon via 2 days in Laughlin, where Steve lives, a charming little Vegas-esque town

2 days at the Grand Canyon - Unbelievable, the best place I've ever been to!

Grand Canyon to Vegas, 3 days in Vegas - Went round the hotels, had a little gamble.

Vegas to Yosemite, 2 days in Yosemite - Again, stunningly beautiful and plenty to do.

Yosemite to San Francisco, 3 days in San Fran - Stayed just off Union square, went to Fisherman's Wharf, saw Golden Gate and Alcatraz (although we didn't book before so make sure you PRE BOOK!) also went to the SF Giants baseball stadium.

San Francisco back to LA via the Pacific Coast Highway

LA to Heathrow

Heathrow to Manchester

Easily the best trip I have ever been on!

Archived