BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Local Elections

Without growth the economy is a basket case. This Tory-led government has cut jobs and services too fast and too deep and the result is there is no engine for growth. We have a double dip recession and narrowly escaped a third. Anyone who thinks the economy is doing well is deluded or a farmer or possibly both.

I'm loving watching the Tories tear themselves in two trying to appease the right-wing "swivel-eyed loons" on its backbenches. As it stands the right vote is split between them and the UK Isolationist Party which is the perfect scenario for a return of a Labour government.

The Westminster elite get hot and bothered about Europe but the man on the Accrington omnibus couldn't care less quite frankly.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without growth the economy is a basket case. This Tory-led government has cut jobs and services too fast and too deep and the result is there is no engine for growth. We have a double dip recession and narrowly escaped a third. Anyone who thinks the economy is doing well is deluded or a farmer or possibly both.

I'm loving watching the Tories tear themselves in two trying to appease the right-wing "swivel-eyed loons" on its backbenches. As it stands the right vote is split between them and the UK Isolationist Party which is the perfect scenario for a return of a Labour government.

The Westminster elite get hot and bothered about Europe but the man on the Accrington omnibus couldn't care less quite frankly.

Ditto gay marriage. Who cares ? Apart from the swivel eyed loons that is.

Off topic a touch but why does no one use the correct term 'homosexual' anymore? The BBC reporter this morning referred to marriages and distinguished them as between 'straight or gay' couples. Now that just doesn't make any sort of sense, surely that should be either 'straight or bent' or 'sombre or gay' shouldn't it?

Personally I'm amazed how the correct term homosexual has been so widely replaced by the vague and very misleading term gay. By implication homosexuals have some sort of monopoly on being happy whilst I suppose that as a heterosexual I can never be considered joyful in the slightest and must be condemned to a dour unhappy existence just cos whether considering 'giving' or a 'taking' I really don't find anal sex with men appealing.

As far as I can see there is no valid reasoning behind this at all other than the usual bowing and scraping to minority groups.

Not religious myself but 'swivel eyed loons' / 'Colonel Blimps' etc is a tad harsh for someone who believes or feels the need to believe in an invisible friend isn't it? Roman Catholics believe that marriage is for procreation and nothing else and that is the basis of the who hah. Mind sound incredible coming from that lot given recent revelations but there you go.

Live and let live I say; funny watching the Colonel Blimps in the shires and the Alf Garnett types getting themselves in a lather over basic human rights.

You have obviously no objections and I can't really be arsed either way but have you ever asked why same sex couples want to marry anyway? It makes no real difference to their lives does it? It's prob just an attempt to 'normalise' themselves ..... bit like all these veggies naming their food after animal product dishes. Veggie burgers / herb sausages / nut cutlets / soya milk / veggie steak pies etc..... whats that all about?

Haha. What happened to you to make you so bitter theno? I mean honestly...you expend some of your energy getting annoyed at terms like "nut cutlet" and "soya milk"? Really?

" It makes no real difference to their lives does it? "

Would it make any difference to your life if nut cutlets and soya milk were renamed?

You're hugely entertaining on here and I wouldn't want you any other way, but it sounds like hard work being you.

That is an understatement. ^_^

Hey up! El Tombro ...... The man who insisted that the Indian sub-continent is chock full of great football managers! :P Can I assume that you now accept that my opinion was bang on as usual? :tu:

Haha. What happened to you to make you so bitter theno? I mean honestly...you expend some of your energy getting annoyed at terms like "nut cutlet" and "soya milk"? Really?

" It makes no real difference to their lives does it? "

Would it make any difference to your life if nut cutlets and soya milk were renamed?

You're hugely entertaining on here and I wouldn't want you any other way, but it sounds like hard work being you.

Where did you get the idea that it annoys me? I simply find it ridiculous, faintly humerous and worthy of comment. Had you never thought of that?

Given that you've lumped it in with your grievances about gay marriage etc then no, I didn't think of that.

Personally though, I am finding this running theme of gays, sausages and nuts very amusing. Keep it up. The humour I mean, don't get any ideas.

Thenodrog as years go by language evolves. In my lifetime homosexual has always had a slightly derogatory undertone which has increased over the years. Clearly homosexual is a perfectly correct term but its' day to day use and emphasis has changed.

In response to the derogatory undertones homosexual people, men in particular, began to use "gay." That's a word which has now also evolved and come to mean something very different to when we were both children.

It's just a natural progress. Just like "desktop" has a new meaning and use. There are hundreds if examples.

I thought of this thread earlier on when I was watching an old episode of the Sweeney and Regan talks about arresting the "village poof" in the recreation ground toilets.

And just to clarify, it was a graphic illustration of how language changes and how certain terms can become unacceptable.

You have obviously no objections and I can't really be arsed either way but have you ever asked why same sex couples want to marry anyway? It makes no real difference to their lives does it? It's prob just an attempt to 'normalise' themselves .....

Just the same as any other couple really, marriage in law, conveys certain rights & responsibilities and legal entitlements. It also shows a commitment to the partner.

A man & a woman living together without being married do not have that legal protection.

Could you explain what you mean by an attempt to "normalise' themselves"

BTW, Just to save you the effort, no need to chuck in your usual personal insult. I'll take it for granted.

Just the same as any other couple really, marriage in law, conveys certain rights & responsibilities and legal entitlements. It also shows a commitment to the partner.

+1. This sums up my personal belief.

On the other hand (playing devil's advocate for a moment) a homosexual person has the exact same rights as a heterosexual person under existing law. Each has the right to marry an unmarried consenting adult of the opposite sex. That this would not be appealing to some doesn't change the identical nature of the right.

Devil's advocate hat off for a moment, my biggest concern regarding gay marriage is that it would be used to force those of certain religious views to perform a marriage ceremony which is forbidden under the tenents of their religion. There is a tendency amongst some to use their legal status as a sword against others with opposing views as opposed to the shield it was meant to be. If the state did not require a pastor or other man of faith to perform a gay marriage, I would have no opposition.

Steve, the suggested UK law accounts for the faith issue. From the BBC:

"Under the bill, the Church of England and the Church in Wales would be banned from offering same-sex marriages because of their strongly stated opposition, unless they changed canon law.

Other religious organisations would be able to "opt in" to holding ceremonies. There are currently no plans for similar legislation in Northern Ireland, but there are already plans for a bill to allow same-sex marriage in Scotland."

I guess the Catholic Church will stay out and one has to wonder if any major religious organisation will opt in? It makes you wonder if it will be possible for the majority of gay marriages to take place in church.

However the proposal to allow civil registrars (this is a person licenced to perform a non-religious marriage ceremony) to opt out as a matter of conscience / faith was defeated in a parliamentary vote. Effectively government is here stating an organised religious body can legally act on a matter of religious teaching or faith BUT a member of said organisation employed as a civil registrar will be required by law to perform a gay marriage ceremony to which he/she may object to as a matter of faith.

Daft or what?

This whole charade is indicative of Cameron's efforts to deflect attention from his party's prime objectives while appearing to be a modernising progressive leader. That the Tory blue-rinse brigade is in full "shocked of Tunbridge Wells" mode underlines the point.

If we consider gay people to be equal with others all that is required is to allow them to marry and enjoy the same legal rights as the rest of us while making a public statement of their commitment to each other. It's not difficult but the Tory party have turned the whole thing into a real drama.

Personally I wish they would show the same level of interest in resolving the country's economic problems.

I thought of this thread earlier on when I was watching an old episode of the Sweeney and Regan talks about arresting the "village poof" in the recreation ground toilets.

And just to clarify, it was a graphic illustration of how language changes and how certain terms can become unacceptable.

Only on telly Bryan. I am quite certain that police will still use the self same terms. In fact just about everybody else will for that matter. Stands to reason that telly is changing doesn't it cos most actors and stage crew are poofs aren't they? ^_^

However the proposal to allow civil registrars (this is a person licenced to perform a non-religious marriage ceremony) to opt out as a matter of conscience / faith was defeated in a parliamentary vote. Effectively government is here stating an organised religious body can legally act on a matter of religious teaching or faith BUT a member of said organisation employed as a civil registrar will be required by law to perform a gay marriage ceremony to which he/she may object to as a matter of faith. Daft or what?

I think individuals should also have the right to opt out (or in). If it is a matter of faith, their religious concience should not be trampled in an effort to vidicate the "rights" of others. They also have rights which should be respected. Besides there are plenty whom I'm sure would be willing to perform the ceremony. If there aren't, it would be a clear indication that gay mariage does not have broad public support as of yet.

Cameron........." We won't give in to terror."

we will, however, keep on giving the terrorists accommodation and benefits and let radical preachers continue to peddle their jihad @#/?

They're all a complete waste of oxygen and I'd rather have Anarchy. Politics great idea, corrupted by people and greed.

To quote a man I know very well (no not like that Theno) 'politics isn't what it's meant to be it's all about what benefits the politician and not the people' from an Ex Labour MP.

Archived