BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gun Law Debate: Please keep posts civil and conversational

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For USA, read South Africa. If he did not have a gun his girlfriend would still be alive and he would not be on a murder charge.

We have our problems here, not least an incompetent government, but I'm glad guns are not part of our culture.

• Backroom

Even if he did mistake her for an intruder it's straight up murder for me

Yes he may have feared for his life in the moment but you'd think he would shout first at which time he's realise it was her and not an intruder

Shoot first and ask later is no excuse

I never understand the 'if somebody is in my property stealing I should be allowed to shoot them' angle. No, you really aren't. If you were then it would be the death penalty for burglary. It is not, and if you feel it should be then you hold a very extreme view. Self defence is legal if you are being attacked and you fear for your safety. Not if you are being robbed. If somebody breaks into my house then I'd much rather the law pursue them afterwards and my insurance cover those things missing. Shooting a person is not an appropriate response. In fact, I'd rather get robbed and be defenceless ten times than get robbed once, catch the person in the act and shoot them and it never happens again. Structural changes in society can improve the likelihood that burglaries would decrease, but gun ownership is not something that can have a positive effect on the matter.

It's been exactly two months since the Newton shooting. 1,793 more have been killed by gun violence in the meantime.

America are not debating getting rid of guns. They are only debating gun control.

Why would anybody be against even trialling a little control?

• Backroom

When you get burgled and are in a panic with gun in hand, you'll probably shoot the bugger. Simple as that. I'm not an advocate of guns but I don't blame those who have them legally if they shoot a night-time intruder.

I only have a golf club to hand myself but I'll have a go at anyone intending to hurt my family in my home.

When you get burgled and are in a panic with gun in hand, you'll probably shoot the bugger. Simple as that. I'm not an advocate of guns but I don't blame those who have them legally if they shoot a night-time intruder.

I only have a golf club to hand myself but I'll have a go at anyone intending to hurt my family in my home.

And you could murder a family member and end up on a murder charge like Pistorius. Simple as that.

Just to clear up something, and this ia with regards to gun law in our country. There is talk that Oscar allegedly fired 4 shots. The law in SA says, that you are allowed 1 shot, any more and it will be investigated as 1st degree murder if the person is killed. Now, 1 shot can also kill somebody, but that 1st shot is a warning shot. Should the intruder attack, then you are allowed to act in self defence. My take on this is, that once oscar fired the 1st shot, his girlfriend would have screamed in agony or tried to indicate that she was not an intruder. Secondly, at no point should Oscar have taken action, without trying to get a clear view of what he was up against. Imo, it was shoot without thinking

• Backroom

And you could murder a family member and end up on a murder charge like Pistorius. Simple as that.

I would check that the family members were accounted for before heading to the noise. If the 'intruder' is a family member they'd surely go 'its only me' when I yell 'who's there?'

Don't compare me to an alleged wife-beater who has just allegedly muredered her.

• Backroom

I would check that the family members were accounted for before heading to the noise. If the 'intruder' is a family member they'd surely go 'its only me' when I yell 'who's there?'

Don't compare me to an alleged wife-beater who has just allegedly muredered her.

You was the one that all but advocated the action he took to be fair

• Backroom

I would advocate defending family within reason. I believe that someone who legally owns a gun may use it to do so. You'd use whatever you could get.

I do not advocate shooting my girlfriend. I don't condone gun use against people unless you feel they may harm your nearest and dearest after illegally entering your home.

Jim, stop being an ass. I agree with you in general about guns anyway. See my previous posts.

I don't intend to ever own a gun of any kind, just to be clear. But if it's the one thing you can grab that would help you defend your home it most likely means you've been deemed fit to use it.

I would advocate defending family within reason. I believe that someone who legally owns a gun may use it to do so. You'd use whatever you could get.

I do not advocate shooting my girlfriend. I don't condone gun use against people unless you feel they may harm your nearest and dearest after illegally entering your home.

Jim, stop being an ass. I agree with you in general about guns anyway. See my previous posts.

I don't intend to ever own a gun of any kind, just to be clear. But if it's the one thing you can grab that would help you defend your home it most likely means you've been deemed fit to use it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

You think that in all cases you have time to do the bloody register? What if you live in a family who don't all share the same bed?

I've never been but I do think you should spend some time living in South Africa before you make glib comments.

Might sound a bit unorthodox, but I'd probably put the light on. Improves your chances of identifying the intruder no end.

Not if he has a gun too.

Archived