BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gun Law Debate: Please keep posts civil and conversational

I think the point's being missed. You're homicide rate pre-gun ban is the same as the post-gun ban. There are still roughly the same number of murders.

If the gun ban made you safer, you'd have fewer actual murders. You don't.

Your point would be more valid if there were fewer murders, with the difference being unsuccessful attempted murders.

So the criminals are just as effective at killing as they've always been, guns or no guns. Both before and after you tend to hover around 1.0 to 1.5 per 100,000, depending on the year, over the last several decades.

Here's a humorous take on it: http://mygunculture.com/2011/01/12/uk-gun-ban-creates-more-interesting-graphs/

Here's a comparison of Australia and USA data: http://www.captainsjournal.com/2012/07/23/do-gun-bans-reduce-violent-crime-ask-the-aussies-and-brits/

I addressed this gross misconception you have a page or two ago. You conveniently ignored it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SkyNewsBreak: Reports: Two people have been shot at a middle school in Atlanta, Georgia

You don't understand; it's their constitutional right to shoot each other and they are proud that their government does not infer in their right to do so.

Same idiotic argument that more people owning guns would reduce robberies.

Just because it didn't change us, doesn't mean it won't change you.

I realise it's a case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', but mass-shootings ought at least bring an attempt to TRY and change things, surely?

Didn't change us though did it?

Now people are sporting knives, screwdrivers and other similar tools to help the commit crimes.

Truth be told you can ban anything that could be used to kill, problem is that people who intend to kill will just find another tool to do the job.

• Backroom

Didn't change us though did it?

Now people are sporting knives, screwdrivers and other similar tools to help the commit crimes.

Truth be told you can ban anything that could be used to kill, problem is that people who intend to kill will just find another tool to do the job.

But it's pretty rare you get multiple killings in one go with a screwdriver or even a knife.

My main point is that I don't have much issue with anyone who owns and airgun or securely kept shotgun. But being allowed to keep a military grade weapon (purely designed to kill people and pierce armour) is stupid.

and another ..facebook 2 mins ago.....

Cop shot in Wilmington , Delaware. What the hell is wrong with these people?

The US has always been a gun-nut country, so why are these incidents being reported with such regularity now, hmmmm? :rock:

High Noon is a movie. :)

The right to bear arms resulted in the James-Younger and Dalton gangs being massacred by their supposed victims. That's history.

As to the seeming increase in mass murders, I don't think that's true but is more a matter of perception. The murder rate is actually falling.

• Backroom

High Noon is a movie. :)

The right to bear arms resulted in the James-Younger and Dalton gangs being massacred by their supposed victims. That's history.

As to the seeming increase in mass murders, I don't think that's true but is more a matter of perception. The murder rate is actually falling.

While I'm too lazy to research, could THAT not be a case of perception? Eg: It could be 5 fewer victims but 10 fewer murderers? So it's fewer criminals for the cops to catch so it looks like fewer victims, but it's more mass-murdering?

This is baseless, btw. Just wondering if it's a possibility.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/to_serve_but_not_protect_Qr3ume5gEhMhtg8LvHgzAI?utm_campaign=OutbrainA&utm_source=OutbrainArticlepages&obref=obinsource

And this is the rule nationwide= law enforcement has no duty to protect individual citizens, even if they're standing next to the madman who is stabbing you.

Which makes efforts to disarm the law abiding even more despicable, in my opinion.

Guest Norbert

The NRA line that good people need all those guns to stop the bad people may have been blown out of the water by that loon in LA. Wasn't he an ex-policeman and/or army, and therefore seen by US society as a 'good guy'?

I guess I'll never understand the American obsession with owning large amounts of firearms and the almost sexual buzz some get from it. Why would you need some sort of AK-47 type of thing unless you're planning to go mental in a public place or rob a bank?

I support the man (Pope Benedict) who re-wrote church policy to require priests and diocese to conform to the law of the jurisdiction in which they reside, when it comes to reporting child abuse or allegations of child abuse.

You really are weak minded. Or intentionally provocative (what's the matter? Don't get enough attention at home?). Take your pick.

So it looks like Oscar Pistorius has fatally wounded his girlfriend using a gun, mistaking her for a burglar.

Guns are great.

Bit odd that one. Apparently he lives in something of a high security compound and yet his first instinct was an intruder and not his gf swinging by? :rock:

Bit odd that one. Apparently he lives in something of a high security compound and yet his first instinct was an intruder and not his gf swinging by? :rock:

Wasn't it at about 4 or 5 in the morning though? Who swings by at that hour?

Seems like it might be more complicated now though....

Archived