BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Academy Miss Out On Cat 1 Status

So they got audited several months ago and got feedback and yet failed the real audit? Every single item you submit gets checked, people are on hand to tell you whether it's good enough or not and what needs to be changed. Either the feedback was crap or we weren't up to the job? Given other clubs who have had the same support have gained Cat 1, you have to favour the later.

I get the impression that a 'trial audit' was promised but not delivered. They just turned up with the real thing and threw us in at the deep-end. Now all the other clubs who have yet to be audited and also didn't get the trial run are calling up our offices and asking for advice on what the audit wants.

I get the impression that a 'trial audit' was promised but not delivered. They just turned up with the real thing and threw us in at the deep-end. Now all the other clubs who have yet to be audited and also didn't get the trial run are calling up our offices and asking for advice on what the audit wants.

not for one second do I believe Rovers didn't get a trial run.

Did we not also try to trick the auditors into thinking the senior training centre was the academy (which it used to be)? I think this is a bigger blow to Venkys plans as its much easier to get work permits for foreign players if you are category 1.

Good point.

Not to be contrary but I don't think we can pin this one on Venkys. If anything, via Kean, they have relied too much on our youth system for players.

I'm not in a great position to comment but could be argued that the academy facilities have been somewhat neglected at the expense of survival each season, and possibly through a belief that they were still better than fit for purpose. So maybe Cat 2 sounds about right.

I seem to recall Mark Hughes not really investing in our youth system, preferring (with much success) to scour the talents of other clubs across Europe. Ironic that he should continue this policy by picking up Hoilett through a system he didn't appear to be keen on when he was here. Although I stand to be corrected on that.

It was Hughes who brought Hoillet to Ewood after he was spotted playing for Canada at a youth tournament in Wales. Martin Olsson was also brought to Ewood at a young age by Hughes. Same with P Jones i believe. The players graduating into the 1st team from the youth system now are also the products of Hughes' time at the club.

sorry mate there are no maximums on time coaching just minimums. Arsenal and United are supposedly going cat 2, so why on earth would they do that if it was detrimental?

Thanks for the info Maj. Can you explain what the difference between cat 1 and cat 2 actually is? I was led to believe that for grading purposes that Brockhall was being treated as one site - senior and Academy complexes combined - do you know if that is still true as that could make a major difference with regard to grading?

All I will say on the matter. I am very disappointed to not acquire cat 1 status.

I have read a report on the matter & although I can't go into more extensive detail on the matter I believe every effort was made to get the status and to get the owners funding to make this a reality & fair play to them.

I do believe the owners are willing to get the cat 1 status. However the fault of the owners was not getting the right staff in place to word it correctly (if thats true) to make this a reality.

I hope now with Shebby on board I'm hoping he ruffles a few feathers like I believe he has with the clown and ensures someone answers for this cock up, and ensures next time we get everything in place so that we finally get the cat 1 status.

not for one second do I believe Rovers didn't get a trial run.

Fair enough. I just pick up on bits and pieces of info... Could be wrong.

Thanks for the info Maj. Can you explain what the difference between cat 1 and cat 2 actually is? I was led to believe that for grading purposes that Brockhall was being treated as one site - senior and Academy complexes combined - do you know if that is still true as that could make a major difference with regard to grading?

Grading is done on several criteria, coaching, science, medicine, education, facilities, staffing, monetary investment. It's all about building a structured and progressive learning process from 8-18, recorded and in line with the club itself IE first team. As they want cohesion between youth and first team I would hazard a guess that youth and 1st's being together could be seen as a good thing by the Auditors.

MG, the people doing the audit are meticulous and so I cannot believe they would have missed an academy out. I've also been told by several people that they had one.

Again, many thanks for the info. Reading the paper this morning it seems to suggest that one difference between cat 1 and 2 is the amount of money received from the Premier League. At the end of the day I suppose it's about having the right people in place in every department of the Academy if it is to work properly no matter what grade we are given.

It was Hughes who brought Hoillet to Ewood after he was spotted playing for Canada at a youth tournament in Wales. Martin Olsson was also brought to Ewood at a young age by Hughes. Same with P Jones i believe. The players graduating into the 1st team from the youth system now are also the products of Hughes' time at the club.

I can't believe anyone would seek advice from Venkys :wacko:

Again, many thanks for the info. Reading the paper this morning it seems to suggest that one difference between cat 1 and 2 is the amount of money received from the Premier League. At the end of the day I suppose it's about having the right people in place in every department of the Academy if it is to work properly no matter what grade we are given.

It's a completely new way of doing things over here, but a good idea. Rovers have paid for the facilities (All weather 4G pitches etc, not cheap) to be made to Cat 1 standard and given that basically means having a school on site, that's no small amount of cash. So for now we should wait as it's never easy changing everything from top to toe, if we miss out at the next grading then I'd be worried.

Archived