BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Just passing through ...

Hi Rovers, Hudds fan here.

Was just wondering what you think of our (sorry your) Jordan. Your best signing since Shearer, or a complete waste of money? Thoughts?

We seem to be doing ok without him (much to my surprise, considering he scored almost all of our goals last season).

Better outside the box than I thought he woud be - but not an £8m player yet. However - as a goal scorer - give him a chance and he will invariably score. Don't think our form has helped him so far - and he is still scoring goals !

Rovers are nowhere near well enough organised to give him a chance to show how good he is other than in occasional flashes.

We will let you know when Berg has got the place sorted out but at the moment no opinion except we are already 6 points up on where we would have been had we not signed him.

Looking at him, it's obvious that Huddersfield didn't do much to develop his all round game. He's getting used to not having the luxury of a plodder to do the donkey work up front - something he has to do if he wants a career at Premier League/International level.

I think he's got the attributes for it - good touch to retain the ball, decent in the air, good awareness. However he's obviously not used to it and it will take him time to get used to being away from the luxuries of League One football (in terms of being able to get away with being a goalscorer and nothing else).

I think he'll turn out to be a good 'un in the same way that Bobby Zamora did, but it took him a few years to adjust to leading the line as well. I think we could (and should) have spent the £8 million far more wisely though. He'll be much better when we get wingers that can stretch defences and provide decent crosses.

To be honest we've had a LOT of good strikers since Shearer. Rhodes ranks below Sutton, Gallacher, Jansen, Cole, Bellamy, McCarthy, Santa Cruz and Yakubu for me. He's a good player for this level, but if his current 1 in 2 ratio continues then I think he'll find it hard to make the step up to the Premiership. Think we got had a bit with the £8m, god knows what Austin is worth if Rhodes is worth that much.

To be honest we've had a LOT of good strikers since Shearer. Rhodes ranks below Sutton, Gallacher, Jansen, Cole, Bellamy, McCarthy, Santa Cruz and Yakubu for me. He's a good player for this level, but if his current 1 in 2 ratio continues then I think he'll find it hard to make the step up to the Premiership. Think we got had a bit with the £8m, god knows what Austin is worth if Rhodes is worth that much.

Agreed but 1 in 2 is hardly failure!

Quite decent all round ability he has as well as the goal scoring knack which suprised me. Seems comfortable at this level and works his nuts off every game. I thought 8 million was a bit steep but if he carries on the way he started then it's not. Far from the finished article but its been difficult for him so far in our team as he's just feeding off scraps and up to now and we don't create enough for him but i think Berg will change that. Best signing since Shearer ? No way there is a massive list in front of him on that one.

Not another one. :rolleyes:

Sorry mate, don't have the time to plough my way through your message board. You always have the option of ignoring me if you like ;)

Quite decent all round ability he has as well as the goal scoring knack which suprised me. Seems comfortable at this level and works his nuts off every game. I thought 8 million was a bit steep but if he carries on the way he started then it's not. Far from the finished article but its been difficult for him so far in our team as he's just feeding off scraps and up to now and we don't create enough for him but i think Berg will change that.

Not sure we'll ever see £8 million because there are all sorts of clauses that need to be satisfied before we get the cash. Hope he does well for you though, he's a smashing lad and it was a good move for him at this stage of his career.

Sorry mate, don't have the time to plough my way through your message board. You always have the option of ignoring me if you like ;)

Not sure we'll ever see £8 million because there are all sorts of clauses that need to be satisfied before we get the cash. Hope he does well for you though, he's a smashing lad and it was a good move for him at this stage of his career.

I thought we actually had to stump up a straight 8 million for him in one go that's why the transfer rumbled on a bit ? Your right about him being a sound level headed lad he's Shearer like in that respect considering he's so young. He's on massive wages for this level but he seems to appreciate it and try's to justify it with his effort.

Huddersfield fan, you are welcome on thois board, ignore the muppet or the sarcasm from the very minority.

I think J Rhodes will go on to score a bucketfull of goals if he can be given the required service. He has shown he can sniff out a chance, can finish instinctively and is prepared to run and do the hard work up front.

whatever happens he will go onto play for a bigger team.

Nowhere near as good as Shearer, he was an exceptional talent and we at Rovers saw the very very best of him, a unique finishing talent. Sutton was a legend, Cole was good in blue and white, we never got to see the very best of Matt Jansen and he for me could easily have been an England legend.

Huddersfield fan, you are welcome on thois board, ignore the muppet or the sarcasm from the very minority.

Muppet? Ok then, maybe this is THE Hudds fan that isn't on the wind up but it didn't sound like it from the OP...

I think Rhodes and Rochinas partnership and link up play(with rochina playing behind as he's been doing) will become better and better once they get to know each others game more(ie..once Rochina reads Rhodes runs better more of those deadly through balls will pay off).

i think its hard to realistically be able to tell exactly how good Rhodes is until he's played in the prem league, but if his goals in this league get us up that alone will have been worth every penny.

Lacks pace and strength. Looks to have good movement and can finish but I can't remember the last striker to succeed in the top flight without at least one of the first two attributes.

Even at this level it looks like he needs a big man to play off, which doesn't really suit us right now with the type of midfield players we have.

Lacks pace and strength. Looks to have good movement and can finish but I can't remember the last striker to succeed in the top flight without at least one of the first two attributes.

I think he can develop his strength. He's 6'1 and has really good balance, so if he can build his upper body strength I reckon he be strong enough to hold off defenders and retain possession.

Bobby Zamora and Steven Fletcher are probably decent role models. Both have similar physical abilities but have adapted their game to be effective PL strikers. Zamora in particular worked a lot on his strength, he was nowhere near as strong as he is now when he was in his early twenties banging them in for Brighton.

Fair point. Let's hope so, the boy can certainly finish.

Definitely. I'm very encouraged by how well he finishes. He barely had a sniff on Saturday but still had a goal-bound header cleared off the line and cracked a vicious shot into the side netting from a tight angle. He seems to be able to create and finish half chances from nothing as well, he doesn't totaly rely on people feeding him.

I think with the right coaching he'll do it, I can see him playing for a mid-table PL club in the near future. I'd say he's a class above the likes of Grant Holt, Danny Graham and Ricky Lambert, and they all seem to be able to cope with the PL.

I like Jordan a lot; he's a natural goalscorer and if he plays 40 games, he's going to score you at least 20-25 goals.

In the Premiership, I think he'll still score goals, providing the service is there.

Archived