BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] what a crass waste of money

TBTF

Goodwillie, Slew & Bruno were here before the summer.

Slew has gone, Goodwillie was shipped out on loan & Bruno has gone home.

Sandomerski (sp) is a loan, and looks a talent - but has had an injury.

Nunes & Rosado also have big potential, and have shown glimpses.... Jorge & Henrique we cant comment on yet.

As for our youth team - 1 has made the step up this season (Henley), a couple have gone out for lower league experience....not many others are ready to step up yet....thats normal, so why the big beef with the academy and bringing in players?

Didn't Slew only go out on loan and then returned very quickly through to injury, as others have said Goodwillie has been back with us for months but cant play as he cant be registered until january, 1st ive heard of Bruno going home(but wouldn't be surprised).

As far as Rhodes is concerned although it was a big risk initially, i do think he as done enough already to highly interest Prem league clubs(if he became available) and easily get our money back(at very least). He's already into double figures whilst playing in a mostly struggling club with a lot of off field distractions and playing in an unfamiliar lone role that nobody thought he could do(other than the he who shall not be named).

Nothing wrong with importing an influx of young foreign talent. It's a fairly inexpensive gamble. If you manage to find some wheat among the chaff it will more than cover the outlay. It's signings like Ribiero, Anderson that stink to high heaven. As for Goodwillie, I don't think he was necessarily a bad signing at the time. £2m for a squad striker who was highly rated north of the border was hardly daylight robbery.

Speaking to some chaps from Dundee Utd, they believe we paid far too much for Goodwillie, at least £750k more than would have got him.

There is also a feeling that we paid more than necessary for Rhodes too.

Hardly surprising when you have amateurs in charge.

Speaking to some chaps from Dundee Utd, they believe we paid far too much for Goodwillie, at least £750k more than would have got him.

There is also a feeling that we paid more than necessary for Rhodes too.

Hardly surprising when you have amateurs in charge.

Whilst I agree, let's not forget that Uncle Jack liked to overpay both in fees and wages. Just ask Georgious "Poker Face" Donis.

Whilst I agree, let's not forget that Uncle Jack liked to overpay both in fees and wages. Just ask Georgious "Poker Face" Donis.

Agree - my view is that if you think they are the right player sometimes you have to pay over the odds.

I think the deals I mentioned could have been handled better - overall the transfer dealing, under Venkys, has been woeful - letting all the leaders leave the club was just stupid. Kean used to cream himself over the apparent value of the squad, can't see many clubs banging our door down for any of our current lot (with 1-2 exceptions of course).

But most had at least a glimmer of making it in the 1st team even if they didnt fulfill.This lot , bought in bulk, won't get near.

I just find it bizarre that there isn't a bigger issue raised about the general expenditure on tat since Venky's have been here. I've never known Rovers to waste what little we can afford.

Here are the signings that carried a transfer fee since Venky's came to Rovers:

• Mauro Formica - £3.5m
  • Ruben Rochina - £1.5m
  • David Goodwillie - £2.5m
  • Radosav Petrovic - £3m
  • Simon Vukcevic - £2m
  • Scott Dann - £6m
  • Jordan Slew - £1m
  • Yakubu - £1.5m
  • Marcus Olsson - £1m
  • Bradley Orr - £1.5m
  • Leon Best - £3m
  • Jordan Rhodes - £8mbeen spent wisely. Not a great statistic, even when I consider how much the likes of Liverpool spunk up the wall.

Out of that list of players, Yakubu has been worth the money we have spent on him. Goodwillie wasn't given much of a chance and when he was, he didn't look up to it. Bradley Orr was a terrible signing, though I doubt we paid that for him. I always thought that Petrovic looked like he could be a good player, but in a struggling team with a clueless manager, it was always going to be difficult for him. Formica has had some good games for us, but he should do more and overall hasn't been worth the investment. Rochina is a show poney, who is still learning the game, but is infruiating with his inconsistency, which is broken from time to time by the odd flash of brilliance. Vukcevic has shown glimpses of his ability and it's a mystery as to why this guy doesn't get more game time. Scott Dann for the most part has been a disaster and Jordan Slew is a nobody that £1.5 million should never have been wasted on. Leon Best looked like a good bit of business until his injury and we paid too much for Jordan Rhodes. It won't be his fault if we don't get back into the Premier League as he is the only player who can score consistently, but if we don't get promoted, it will be a huge amount of money that will be hard to fill.

If Venky's released the same amount of funds as they have done over the last couple of years and left the footballing decisions to footballing people then we'd probably have been pushing the top eight in the Premier League by now.

but venkys havent spent anything at all.

they have just sold our best assets and invested some of those proceeds in players.

they havent spent a penny of their own money

but venkys havent spent anything at all.

they have just sold our best assets and invested some of those proceeds in players.

they havent spent a penny of their own money

Exactly. Irritates me when people give Venkys any credit on the money front. All that can be said about them is they aren't operating on as big a negative transfer spend as the Walker Trust did in their very last year of owning the club. Its still unacceptable.

• Moderation Lead

Idiots spent the money.

What did anybody expect?

Oh and there could be two agent scandals associated with this summer's dealings.

You just can't wait for the sky to fall can you? F***king daft trolling c**t.

• Moderation Lead

Idiots spent the money.

What did anybody expect?

Oh and there could be two agent scandals associated with this summer's dealings.

The club's crashing and burning and you're enjoying every minute of it, just because you're being proven right.

Absolutely sickening.

• Moderation Lead

I think the Rochina agents fees were the tip of the iceberg. Absolutely no way JA had such an involvement with the purchase of the club, and the subsequent January transfer window without 'skimming off the top'.

Archived