BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] what a crass waste of money

TBTF

This Summer the following players were brought to Rovers.For what combined transfer /agents fees i have no idea.But what weekly cash are we throwing down the drain by having them here and what Academy players are being blocked from developing from our £2million a year to run facility?

Paulo Jorge, Edinho, Henrique, Rosado, Fabio Nunes, Sondomierski-even Nuno Gomes lately. Then theres , Bruno, Goodwillie, Slew.

Lets be kind and say thats £130k per week in wages plus NI and whatever add ons you get bringing foreigners in.Thats over £6.5million a year on players we barely see or expect to see.

It beggars belief that the Club are trying offers to get fans in to the ground and seeking sponsors here and there when we are chucking money of that ilk down the toilet.

Who makes these decisions and is it not time people were being held to account at a time when we are all rightly concerned about the financial state of our Club??

I am sure there are loads more examples of ridiculous management which at some point is going to hurt us.

And thats before we factor in the very negative effect on our Academy players.

Scandalous!!

and its sure as hell not coming out of venkys pocket. We'll be mortgaged to the hilt...big gamble. When this lot took over, sacked Bs I posted similarities to pompey...obviously shouted down by others on here.

At least pompey got a cup win from the over spending....we're sinking like a stone...We're probably better off being owned by bank of India .

Goodwillie, Slew & Bruno were here before the summer.

Slew has gone, Goodwillie was shipped out on loan & Bruno has gone home.

Sandomerski (sp) is a loan, and looks a talent - but has had an injury.

Nunes & Rosado also have big potential, and have shown glimpses.... Jorge & Henrique we cant comment on yet.

As for our youth team - 1 has made the step up this season (Henley), a couple have gone out for lower league experience....not many others are ready to step up yet....thats normal, so why the big beef with the academy and bringing in players?

Goodwillie, Bruno and Slew are amongst the many poor signings we made pre this season.

Edinho, Jorge and Henrique were totally pointless, we needed players that could make an instant impact.

Nunes has shown potential, Rosado has only played that 15 minutes at Huddersfield IIRC, and in that he beat a man and fell over, and made a stupid pass that led to a goal. Not much in the way of glimpses there.

There is no need to have so many players, it is inefficient, people have often complained in the past that we have had deadwood and now we have much more than ever.

Proof that the grass usually isn't greener when you've got a small transfer budget and no top class manager in charge of it. Our fans have a habit of getting bored of players once they've been here a while and start hounding them out with this barmy assumption that a talented youngster is going to plucked out of thin air to replace them. What I'd give for to have the option of Roberts playing alongside Rhodes and Andrews alongside Murphy this season. But those "crap" old fogies have been replaced for the massively over-rated quality of youth, in much the same way as the current clamour over Pedersen.

After reading the topic title, i thought the first post was just going to be a picture of Myles Anderson.

That's not fair on Myles. His cone-placing abilitIes were invaluable last season and don't forget THAT TACKLE!

Nunes & Rosado also have big potential, and have shown glimpses.... Jorge & Henrique we cant comment on yet.

As for our youth team - 1 has made the step up this season (Henley), a couple have gone out for lower league experience....not many others are ready to step up yet....thats normal, so why the big beef with the academy and bringing in players?

And so you think thats money well spent do you?? I was making the point that with money wasted on Goodwillie, Slew and Bruno why did we feel the need to go and blow our brains on the new crop in Summer??

Goodwillie was sent back to us by Palace, and so cant even play for anyone now until Jan,where is Slew (£1m transfer fee) and who said Bruno had gone home,;hadnt heard that.?

Why did we feel the need to bring in another goalkeeper who is reported to be on over £10k per week when the cahnces are he will never be seen, less so if the Friedel reports are correct.

All i am saying is money is being splashed around willy nilly on hopeless no marks who by playing in the Reserves or U 21s must by definition be blocking progress of youngsters.No wonder we have not many that are ready and we have to send them out to far flung outposts purely to get them a game!!

So is it acceptable that we ''can't comment'' on Jorge and Henrique or for that matter Edinho?? And there must be doubts about Rosado who isn't even on the bench any more.And is Nuno Gomes value for money on whatever astronomical money we are paying him each week?

This stuff needs looking at, surely it does??

I guess this sort of thing happens at most clubs, we are not an exeption

Totally agree with the original post, its ridiculous how much deadwood there is in the squad. The foreign players brought in are keeping the academy players from progressing. We're not going to get the next Henley, Hanley, Lowe, Jones, Hoilet coming through if they keep buying loads of foreign youngsters who don't seem up to playing in England.

Nothing wrong with importing an influx of young foreign talent. It's a fairly inexpensive gamble. If you manage to find some wheat among the chaff it will more than cover the outlay. It's signings like Ribiero, Anderson that stink to high heaven. As for Goodwillie, I don't think he was necessarily a bad signing at the time. £2m for a squad striker who was highly rated north of the border was hardly daylight robbery.

I just find it bizarre that there isn't a bigger issue raised about the general expenditure on tat since Venky's have been here. I've never known Rovers to waste what little we can afford.

Here are the signings that carried a transfer fee since Venky's came to Rovers:

• Mauro Formica - £3.5m
  • Ruben Rochina - £1.5m
  • David Goodwillie - £2.5m
  • Radosav Petrovic - £3m
  • Simon Vukcevic - £2m
  • Scott Dann - £6m
  • Jordan Slew - £1m
  • Yakubu - £1.5m
  • Marcus Olsson - £1m
  • Bradley Orr - £1.5m
  • Leon Best - £3m
  • Jordan Rhodes - £8m

That list does not include Myles Anderson, Dickson Etuhu and all the unknown Portuguese quantities, who we did pay transfer fees for but I've no idea what they were.

The total comes to £34.5m. That's £17.25m for each year they've been here. Far more than most seasons over the last decade.

Looking at the transfers you'd have to say that £9.5m was well spent (Rhodes and Yakubu). So you could also argue that a quarter of our money has been spent wisely. Not a great statistic, even when I consider how much the likes of Liverpool spunk up the wall.

You could also say that we've made two good signings out of about twenty, or 1 in 10 have been good signings. It reeks of vested interests and enlarges the original point made.

There's 2 things in response to that though:

1) We didn't actually spend as much as was reported in the press on a lot of those transfers. For example, Rhodes was closer to £3/4m and Dann £2/3m, with the additional fees relate to us being successful.

2) The value of player sales will be at least in the same region, if not exceeding it. Shedding players such as Kalinic, Nzonzi, Samba and Jones alone would have brought in huge income.

2) The value of player sales will be at least in the same region, if not exceeding it. Shedding players such as Kalinic, Nzonzi, Samba and Jones alone would have brought in huge income.

So we've sold most of the decent players and spent the proceeds onw hat is mostly tat.

Great. Real sharp operating.

There's 2 things in response to that though:

1) We didn't actually spend as much as was reported in the press on a lot of those transfers. For example, Rhodes was closer to £3/4m and Dann £2/3m, with the additional fees relate to us being successful.

But having got rid of the crown jewels is it good tactics /managemnt to then go and buy a load of no hopers with bugger all resale values but whose combined weekly payroll costs is the same if not higher than your good stuff.Its a sort of massive downsizing without any of the benefits and an increased numberof negatives.

Sorry Bryan -just seen your reply

Totally agree with the original post, its ridiculous how much deadwood there is in the squad. The foreign players brought in are keeping the academy players from progressing. We're not going to get the next Henley, Hanley, Lowe, Jones, Hoilet coming through if they keep buying loads of foreign youngsters who don't seem up to playing in England.

Exactly OJ-who makes these ridiculous decisions ?? If you made these bad judgements so often in any other walk of life you would be bust or banged up..Yet nobody appears to be accountable either individually or even collectively.

• Backroom

I just find it bizarre that there isn't a bigger issue raised about the general expenditure on tat since Venky's have been here. I've never known Rovers to waste what little we can afford.

• Mauro Formica - £3.5m
  • Ruben Rochina - £1.5m
  • Radosav Petrovic - £3m
  • Simon Vukcevic - £2m
  • Scott Dann - £6m
  • Jordan Slew - £1m
  • Yakubu - £1.5m
  • Marcus Olsson - £1m
  • Bradley Orr - £1.5m
  • Leon Best - £3m
  • Jordan Rhodes - £8m

That list does not include Myles Anderson, Dickson Etuhu and all the unknown Portuguese quantities, who we did pay transfer fees for but I've no idea what they were.

The total comes to £34.5m. That's £17.25m for each year they've been here. Far more than most seasons over the last decade.

Looking at the transfers you'd have to say that £9.5m was well spent (Rhodes and Yakubu). So you could also argue that a quarter of our money has been spent wisely. Not a great statistic, even when I consider how much the likes of Liverpool spunk up the wall.

You could also say that we've made two good signings out of about twenty, or 1 in 10 have been good signings. It reeks of vested interests and enlarges the original point made.

From your list, I don't believe any of the following to have been a 'waste' of money in the slightest.

• Mauro Formica - £3.5m
  • Ruben Rochina - £1.5m
  • Simon Vukcevic - £2m
  • Scott Dann - £6m
  • Yakubu - £1.5m
  • Marcus Olsson - 1m
  • Leon Best - £3m
  • Jordan Rhodes - £8m

Perhaps the money paid for Dann should've been closer to 3m, but then you have Goodwillie. He has proven to be something of a waste thus far, but 2.5m at the time was seen as a good deal. Swings and roundabouts. And who knows? Berg may rate Goodwillie but simply is bound by rules not to play him.

And to argue the case for Marcus, he's generally seen as a squad player and will do a good job when called upon. You should be aiming your angst at some of the older 'stars' who aren't getting game time. The TRUE wastes of money in our team at the moment are Pedersen and Dunn. Much as I've loved what they've done for the club over the years, they are both past it and remain on around 80k per week as a pair.

• Mauro Formica - £3.5m
  • Ruben Rochina - £1.5m
  • Radosav Petrovic - £3m
  • Simon Vukcevic - £2m
  • Scott Dann - £6m
  • Jordan Slew - £1m
  • Yakubu - £1.5m
  • Marcus Olsson - £1m
  • Bradley Orr - £1.5m
  • Leon Best - £3m
  • Jordan Rhodes - £8m

You seem to have inflated a lot of transfers there though.

I sincerely doubt Orr was £1.5 million, wasn't he free? Marcus Olsson was a free transfer, Goodwillie £2 million + add-ons (doubt he's hit any of those), Dann was rumoured nearer £2 million (the £6 million included wages apparently so Birmingham could save face), Rhodes is spread out.

The fees received for Jones, Samba and Kalinic alone cover all those incomings.

• Mauro Formica - £3.5m
  • Ruben Rochina - £1.5m
  • Radosav Petrovic - £3m
  • Simon Vukcevic - £2m
  • Scott Dann - £6m
  • Jordan Slew - £1m
  • Yakubu - £1.5m
  • Marcus Olsson - £1m
  • Bradley Orr - £1.5m
  • Leon Best - £3m
  • Jordan Rhodes - £8m

On the other side under Venkys, Jones, Samba and Hoilett, would almost balance the 34.5 million spent, not to mention other players sold for small fees and high earners off the wage bill! Though I do agree, we have bought some real deadwood and players who will neve get near first team football, if I were the FA, I would be concerned about all the Portuguese signings as clearly something is not quite right there!

What bugs me is that Venkys got rid of the old guard because they wanted to cut the wage bill, and yet any new signings these days involve big agent fees, or huge ones when you're employing snakes like Anderson. So I seriously doubt we've saved any money when we could have just given rolling contracts on the same wage to the players we already had. And a squad with Salgado, Nelsen, Diouf, Andrews, Emerton and Roberts, along with our few credible purchases under Kean, would have been extremely strong in this league.

Archived