BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lactose intolerance

Been having a few issues of late with stomach pains and after a little research it seems I may be lactose intollerant.

Does anyone suffer this and have any advice?

I've not had any problems all my life apart from the last 3 months.

Been having a few issues of late with stomach pains and after a little research it seems I may be lactose intollerant.

Only about 10m Chinese! Lactose intolerance appears to be very 'popular' over there. According to this article you may be in the majority SAS.

http://www.china.org.cn/health/2008-05/14/content_15219088.htm

Only about 10m Chinese! Lactose intolerance appears to be very 'popular' over there. According to this article you may be in the majority SAS.

http://www.china.org.cn/health/2008-05/14/content_15219088.htm

It isn't "popular" the very high levels are a result of natural selection. Populations with a historical reliance on dairy products are less likely to be unable to digest lactose with the opposite being true for populations in non-dairy cultures. Hence the huge disparity between northern Europe and China.

The drive towards Westernisation is the cause in China.

I've not had any problems all my life apart from the last 3 months.

SAS in all seriousness self-diagnosis is a very dangerous thing. See a doctor.

It isn't "popular" the very high levels are a result of natural selection. Populations with a historical reliance on dairy products are less likely to be unable to digest lactose with the opposite being true for populations in non-dairy cultures. Hence the huge disparity between northern Europe and China.

W

Well done Paul. :rolleyes: I see you've read and "digested" the link that I posted before "regurgitating" it. Does that mean you are link intolerant?

• 3 weeks later...

It's more common than you might think, a lot of people have some degree of sensitivity and simply don’t realise it. The test that a doctor would set you anyway would be a trial exclusion diet (ie. don't eat dairy for a week or two and see if you feel better, then slowly re-introduce it and see if/at what point your symptoms return), only after having done this will the docs weigh in with anything, so there is no harm in trying it out.

It is possible that you are Lactose sensitive, in which case a reduction in the amount of dairy products would be sufficient, you could also be lactose intolerant in which case you may need to cut it out altogether.

However if you try an exclusion diet and your symptoms return when you start eating dairy again then you should go to a doctor.

The good news is that recently a company called Lactofree has gone about using an enzyme to remove lactose from dairy products, so you can now buy lactose free milk, butter, cream, a slightly suspect cheese and a decent vanilla ice cream from most supermarkets, so even if you are lactose intolerant you won't need to start having soya milk in your tea.

My missus is intolerant to lactose, gluten, fructose and a few other 'ose's so I'm pretty clued up when it comes to living with these things, send me a message if you need any advice.

Archived