BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 10 Green bottles......

• Moderation Lead

Could have been Edinburgh United but for equal doses of backward thinking and stupid religious intransigence.

They were both doing alright independently until that Lithuanian lad pulled the plug...

Could have been Edinburgh United but for equal doses of backward thinking and stupid religious intransigence.

Religious? Not in this town my friend. This was nothing at all to do with any religion but was 1 club trying to take over the other. Didn't go down well I can tell you. Annoying when people assume sectarian divides in Edinburgh which don't exist.

• Backroom

Point taken McClarky. Apologies if I am wrong but I always thought Hibs was a catholic club and Hearts a proddi one, and that whilst not at the Glasgow level that sectarianism did exist.

I think they had similar origins as the Glasgow clubs but perhaps the lack of spotlight or lesser fandoms may have dissipated the religious aspect somewhat.

You never see Hibs fans attacking anything to do with the CofE as Celtic often do, anyway.

Point taken McClarky. Apologies if I am wrong but I always thought Hibs was a catholic club and Hearts a proddi one, and that whilst not at the Glasgow level that sectarianism did exist.

hibs fans come from Leith and the east while Hearts come from the west mainly. My proddie in laws are from Leith and support Hibs while the Catholic side of the family are Hearts fans from the west of the city. You get the odd lazy bigot going to Hearts because they can't be bothered going to Glasgow but very few and far between.

hibs fans come from Leith and the east while Hearts come from the west mainly.

I knew that from speaking to a Hibs fan when we played em donkeys years ago. He corrected me by saying 'Abbs' were from Leith. However I was part relying on the fact that the very name Hibernian is the name of Ireland from the days of the Romans.

I knew that from speaking to a Hibs fan when we played em donkeys years ago. He corrected me by saying 'Abbs' were from Leith. However I was part relying on the fact that the very name Hibernian is the name of Ireland from the days of the Romans.

Yeah Hibs were set up similarly to Celtic and, as their fans always say, were the first to wear the green. That was 130 years ago though. I was at that game, it was just before I moved up here. Shearer's debut wasn't it

Yeah Hibs were set up similarly to Celtic and, as their fans always say, were the first to wear the green. That was 130 years ago though. I was at that game, it was just before I moved up here. Shearer's debut wasn't it

When Glasgow Celtic formed they nearly called themselves Glasgow Hibernian because of the popularity back then of HIbs and their catholic connection in the end though they plumped for Celtic or so im told.

Annoying when people assume sectarian divides in Edinburgh which don't exist.

My Scottish team are hearts. I try to go up and watch them once a season. The last time I went to an Edinburgh derby was 3 seasons ago at Tynecastle. There were a few union flags in the home end, and likewise a few irish flags in the away end.

I accept it's nowhere near the scale of Rangers and Celtic, but like thenodrog says, I've always been led to believe hearts are traditionally Edinburgh's Protestant British club, and hibs catholic.

Sad to see what is happening to the jambo's. Great club.

Archived