BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alex Marrow signs

• Backroom

The problem for Bowyer is that he has no track record to call on to back a strong stance. Until he's proven himself in a full season it'll be difficult to command respect like Hughes or Allardyce did (both came from the outside, also, which obviously helps). The next best thing is to retain the friendly atmosphere with the players and hope they have enough self-pride to work 100% regardless.

We'll see in the next few months whether that's true or not...

Although I agree with the overall point I'd say Hughes had a similar job to do in changing his nickname from Sparky/Hughes to boss/gaffer. He'd played with many of those at the club still I think.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Although I agree with the overall point I'd say Hughes had a similar job to do in changing his nickname from Sparky/Hughes to boss/gaffer. He'd played with many of those at the club still I think.

Aye, but he had his track record with Wales to point to as a marker for respect. All GB has is a brief caretaker stint at the moment.

I agree it's a bit of a concern, but I guess it's a difficult one to overcome because Bowyer's been promoted from within. He knows most of the players from the stance of a coach, rather than a manager. It'd be very difficult for him to suddenly say "right lads, you don't call me Gaz anymore, you call me 'gaffer' or 'Mr Bowyer'". It just wouldn't work.

It's part of the risk you take with this type of appointment.

Kean was promoted from within and I remember players calling him Steve or Stevie. I'm not saying that being pals with the players guarantees failure but I prefer to see a respect/fear sort of professionalism in that type of role.

From a Palace fan:

I really rate Marrow and I'll echoe what I said before. Prior to his long term injury he was one of our most consistent and influential players. Yes this was in an inferior Palace team but still, he has the making to be great footballer.

However, upon his return this term, under pressure in a potentially great Palace side, he has (through his brief appearances) looked a little off the pace and IMO KG has had a blinding season. Yes he's made the odd mistake the past few games but many others have too.

I reckon Ollie will encourage him forward now Jedi is back and a goal would certainly keep people off his back.

more views:

http://www.holmesdale.net/page.php?id=106&tid=131811

Kean was promoted from within and I remember players calling him Steve or Stevie. I'm not saying that being pals with the players guarantees failure but I prefer to see a respect/fear sort of professionalism in that type of role.

K@&n not a good example ha

I see he refers to Bowyer as "Gaz".

Always makes me wary when players and management are on first name terms. Bet Beckham never referred to Fergie as "Alex".

I call it the Steve McLaren Syndrome.

I prefer to believe that "Gaz" is short for "Gaffer"....Just seen Ronaldinho on Preston New Road

As it should be and any player calling him Gaz should be fined, he's the Gaffer now.

Trouble is can he switch it from a friendly role to an authorative one?

We'll find out.

I prefer to believe that "Gaz" is short for "Gaffer"....Just seen Ronaldinho on Preston New Road

Did you see Tim Schofield as well?

Archived