BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Climate Change

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's an interesting article about volcanos impact on climate:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/09/indonesias-samalas-volcano-may-have-kickstarted-the-little-ice-age/

Short summary: A massive volcano erupted in 1257, the largest in 7,000 years, triggering a 600 year Little Ice Age. This Little Ice Age ended around 1850.

My thoughts: If a Little Ice Age ended around 1850, wouldn't it be normal to have steadily increasing warming after that date?

Here's another article about the 1883 eruption of Krakatoa. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1883_eruption_of_Krakatoa. Though much smaller than the Samalas volcano's eruption, Krakatoa was still catastrophic and caused temperatures to drop 2.2F.

Ah yes, there is no climate change due to human activity.

Just the same as there is no connection to lung cancer & smoking. Fingers in ears & "nnnnnn" noise with eyes closed. "Oh look, a bit of snow in Brownhill: that proves that there is no global climate change.

You are fooling no one but yourselves with your silly denial of all the science.. Was the world formed in Sunday 23rd October 4004 BC as according to Bishop James Ussher, Bishop of Armagh in 1654?

Climate change is here and it is real. The measurements are taken globally, not just in Norwich or in Antarctica or Tierra Del Fuego. So just because you have to put a hat on in Blackburn doesn't mean that global climate change doesn't exist.

Colin-

Very nice speech which completely misses the point.

Is there climate change? Yes. Throughout the history of the world there's been climate change. At times the poles have been very suitable for every day living.

Is there man made climate change? That's debatable.

Is it global warming or global cooling that need concern us? Until the scientific community, whose modeling is seriously flawed, can get its act together on the point, I don't think I can take anything they say seriously.

All in all, the IPCC and other hacks at the UN sponsored organizations seem far more motivated by political agendas than they do "science". I personally equate them with medieval priests; they have titles, speak an arcane jargon, allegedly know more than us mere mortals and ask the peasants to take them on faith. I decline.

A US study reveals that the climate change denial countermovement is being bankrolled almost exclusively by right wing think tanks, conservative advocacy groups, trade associations and foundations, with strong links to sympathetic conservative media outlets and right wing politicians.

All posts by climate change deniers in this thread should be viewed in this context.

You are fooling no one but yourselves with your silly denial of all the science.. Was the world formed in Sunday 23rd October 4004 BC as according to Bishop James Ussher, Bishop of Armagh in 1654?

Claptrap. A gratuitous pop at Christian religion.

Do we live by the same science that the greatest minds understood in 1654?

Science is arrogant to the point of belligerence - until someone else comes along and proves them wrong.

A US study reveals that the climate change denial countermovement is being bankrolled almost exclusively by right wing think tanks, conservative advocacy groups, trade associations and foundations, with strong links to sympathetic conservative media outlets and right wing politicians.

All posts by climate change deniers in this thread should be viewed in this context.

You need to read more slowly, Steve has just stated that he accept that the climate is changing.

BTW who conducted that us study and can you provide links?

http://www.the-american-interest.com/blog/2014/01/04/gmo-fight-exposes-green-hypocrisy/

I agree with this statement:

What the planet and the people who live on it badly need is a pro-environment, pro-people movement that actually cares about scientific evidence. Unfortunately that’s not what we’ve got—and climate change activists again need to come to terms with the reality that cloudy green thinking and downright hypocrisy is a leading cause of climate skepticism.

They have to start calling it "climate change" because it's hard to see "global warming" it's been so cold.

It's been so cold, you bake a cake , set it out to cool, 10 minutes later it's already frosted.

It's been so cold, my car won't start running and my nose won't stop.

It's been so cold, 3 penguins stopped and asked me if this would be a nice place to come to for winter holidays.

• Backroom

No-one denies climate change (it is a fact of science, like Evolution or the Big Bang). What people deny is Global Warming. But even I wouldn't be stupid enough to claim that an isolated period of weather disproves it. What disproves it is the return of the ice caps and the worldwide DROP in temperature.

Repeat after me 10 times:

Weather is not the same as climate change.

Now get a globe or a map of the world and have a look at the teensy weensy bit of the globe that is a bit cool at the moment and compare it the globe or world map.

That's why it's called global climate change. Its got nothing to do with a bit of weather in a few relatively small places on the earth.

• Backroom

Repeat after me 10 times:

Weather is not the same as climate change.

Now get a globe or a map of the world and have a look at the teensy weensy bit of the globe that is a bit cool at the moment and compare it the globe or world map.

That's why it's called global climate change. Its got nothing to do with a bit of weather in a few relatively small places on the earth.

Exactly!

Repeat after me 10 times.

The polar ice caps are currently increasing.

Some scientists are saying we are going to have a period of global cooling.

The Earth goes through periods of global warming and global cooling.

It is natural and @#/? all to do with us.

• Backroom

Repeat after me 10 times.

The polar ice caps are currently increasing.

Some scientists are saying we are going to have a period of global cooling.

The Earth goes through periods of global warming and global cooling.

It is natural and Kean all to do with us.

Ay-men brudda!

I heard one commentator say that during a cooling era in the past, that's when the Bubonic Plague broke out. I don't know if that is even relevant but thought I'd repeat it. Maybe he said there were food shortages too. Yet, rats or flies I believe are what carried the bubonic (black) plague.

Thank you SouthAussieRover!

What I heard was commenting on "the last ice age", I looked up ice age and the last real ice age was 110,000 years ago however, Pleistocene however the article you quote has "little ice age", this must be what they actually meant.

Archived