BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Climate Change

At the time there had been an accident near Lancaster I believe and the only option was getting my wife to come up and no chance I wanted her to go out in this just to get me

Got wifi here so can get some work done in the morning if it's still a mess

Looks like it will be, just been watching the plate glass windows at the front of the restaurant bend with the wind!

Virgin trains recommended that all train passengers should not travel earlier.

Some trees down near us as well

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the time there had been an accident near Lancaster I believe and the only option was getting my wife to come up and no chance I wanted her to go out in this just to get me

Thats BT code people for ... Get some beer down me neck

My boss was on the exact same train. He's stuck overnight too. No fun mate.

Guest Norbert

I wonder if people on the coast have taped up their windows. I remember my parents having to do that when a typhoon had been heading my way once. Luckily it changed it's mind, but there was enough to cancel a concert my sisters were going to (I think it was either Jason Donovan, or Janet Jackson if you're interested).

Makes me laugh that Somerset can be under water for a month but as soon as the Thames is affected politicians kean their pants..

Also how many foreign countries are collecting for the flood victims in the Uk ..?

That is what folk down here are saying. It wasn't till the Thames was about to burst its banks did the MP's start to do something, such as calling the army in.

Same with everything mate. Only the SE matters.

Really!!!!! I live in the SE. It was only when London was threatened - that government acted. Areas in the south, below London, seems to get forgotten by government.

These floods will eventually affect the whole country. Food prices especially.

Farmers cannot farm due to the land full of water. But even when the water goes - the fields are contaminated with carcasses of wild animal, badgers, foxes etc.

Most sea defense's throughout the country are a joke.

Really!!!!! I live in the SE. It was only when London was threatened - that government acted. Areas in the south, below London, seems to get forgotten by government.

Farmers cannot farm due to the land full of water. But even when the water goes - the fields are contaminated with carcasses of wild animal, badgers, foxes etc.

I doubt many foxes and badgers will have perished tbh. Far too mobile and wary. Sheep cannot cope with floodwater for obvious reasons and especially when they are confined in fields which flood, there will be significant numbers of them that have perished. Worms and moles appear to be among the worst equipped to survive such conditions.

That is what folk down here are saying. It wasn't till the Thames was about to burst its banks did the MP's start to do something, such as calling the army in.

Always the same though. London & the Thames areas are a different country than where everyone else lives.

Sorry PAFELL I must admit that I tend to think of the South East as being the London Area and tar it all with the same brush. Probably wrongly. However the SE is far more privileged than the North whether you accept it or not.

I don't believe that the dead animals will be the biggest problem for the farmers but the contamination from salt water probably will be. We are going to have to import a lot more produce and unfortunately a lot of farmers are really going to struggle. As you say there will certainly be an adverse effect on food prices.

The floods will have very little effect on food production or prices. The Somerset levels and what agricultural land there is in the Thames Valley is by and large pasture for animals, most of which will have been rescued. The main areas for vegetable and cereal production are not where the floods currently are. There might be a bit affected in the Severn Valley.

I don't believe that the dead animals will be the biggest problem for the farmers but the contamination from salt water probably will be. We are going to have to import a lot more produce and unfortunately a lot of farmers are really going to struggle. As you say there will certainly be an adverse effect on food prices.

Not much salt water spoilage involved is there? Sure there have been high tides causing rivers to back up but most I see reported on the telly is the result of rivers bursting their banks and flloding low lying land that shouldn't have been built on.

"And today on Weight Fighters, we welcome Mandy from Staines, who has lost an incredible 3 stone in one week, how have you managed it Mandy?"
"I've stopped going to McDonalds, KFC and Burger King and the local Kebab shop" she said.
"That must have taken some will power Mandy?"
"Not really", she said, "I can't swim!"

The floods will have very little effect on food production or prices. The Somerset levels and what agricultural land there is in the Thames Valley is by and large pasture for animals, most of which will have been rescued. The main areas for vegetable and cereal production are not where the floods currently are. There might be a bit affected in the Severn Valley.

Talking to some farmers recently - they were saying the land may be pasture - but would be awhile before it was able to be used as pasture. I mentioned, wild animals. They were concerned about human sewage as well.

Sorry PAFELL I must admit that I tend to think of the South East as being the London Area and tar it all with the same brush. Probably wrongly. However the SE is far more privileged than the North whether you accept it or not.

Many folk stop at London when they think of the SE. Whereas for those folk, anything north of watford, is northern.

Sadly many of the coastal areas in the SE have been neglected for years.

I think this hits the nail on the head, when it comes to England's flooding and other similar issues: http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2014/02/23/rainbow-slick/

:The floods were apparently not only inevitable, but foreseeable. The chief problem to preventing them lay in a policy which maintained that active flood control was bad. Nature treats humans as part of the natural world but environmentalists treat nature as part of the political world. Many a misunderstanding arises therefrom. Alas the rains and the seasons refuse to read Labor Party and Green Left manifestos and the results are often inconvenient. And so the floods came."

I think this hits the nail on the head, when it comes to England's flooding and other similar issues: http://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/2014/02/23/rainbow-slick/

:The floods were apparently not only inevitable, but foreseeable. The chief problem to preventing them lay in a policy which maintained that active flood control was bad. Nature treats humans as part of the natural world but environmentalists treat nature as part of the political world. Many a misunderstanding arises therefrom. Alas the rains and the seasons refuse to read Labor Party and Green Left manifestos and the results are often inconvenient. And so the floods came."

My view is that you are a major reason for global warming and making the floods worse.

Archived