BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 14th May: 20 years on. Champions of England

They've changed so much I wouldn't have recognised Ripley or Atkins if they passed me in the street. Flowers hasn't aged well either.

Great photo though - thanks.

TP looks like he's lost a tenner and found 50p.

It was a works freebie too Stuart. At least he was a Rovers nut BK (before kids) and not some hanger on.

I knew a few non-rovers fans who went to the celebration night at ewood just to see the trophy and a few ST holders who didn't get in because of them.

We should have had a town civic reception instead

One of my mates was there.... and he's a Nobender! He'd filled in for somebody at the last minute. Must admit he did appear a trifle embarrassed all evening.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was told about this event by a Judge round about Christmas time who'd acquired a ticket through a private member's Club the District Club at the bottom of East Park Rd. I assumed the tickets for it had been accounted for before they'd even been issued so I didn't bother making a discreet enquiry with anyone at the Club. Wish I had now on the off chance.

Hope everyone present had a great time. We as fans had unsurpassable memories, and a lot of people prospered and became very wealthy on the back of one man Uncle Jack. He'll surely remain in the hearts of every Rovers fan forever.

Shame his family treated the Club and Jack's legacy with such disdain and indifference after he was gone but nothing can take away what he achieved whilst he was here and the period of success we achieved after his passing thanks to the infra structure and financial support he'd already put in place.

Most of them were there. Plus and this is a guess but the top auction prize (the weekend at the Monaco Grand Prix) could very well have been donated by them. It went for about 9k I think.

Also nobody has a crystal ball but they did sell the club after a 20 year stint to what are on paper were 'fit and proper' owners who it now turns out did have the necessary financial wherewithall. Once sold they can no longer interfere in the management of the club nor prevent the new owners from being the victim of an agent led sting based on nothing but base greed. Imagine if they'd off loaded to those septics, or even worse Shah and that other flaky Indian Ali Syed who nearly destroyed Racing Club Santander and ended up on Interpol's wanted list.

Did Big Col drive home?

Sounds brilliant.

I would have bid up to £2K for BD's cap v Austria. How much did it go for Gordon?

£3500 I believe....... to Birdy ffs! Dunno yet whether or not the cheque has cleared the bank but possession is 9/10ths the law as they say.

Rovers have made a mess of celebrations before. In '95 there was no open top bus tour like there was in '92. I thought the celebration night at Ewood in '95 was a bit of an anti-climax.

Any pictures of the '75 title winning squad?

Rovers have made a mess of celebrations before. In '95 there was no open top bus tour like there was in '92. I thought the celebration night at Ewood in '95 was a bit of an anti-climax.Any pictures of the '75 title winning squad?

Wasn't there supposed to be 50 thousand in Ewood and the immediate surrounds?

I was in Ossy the night we won it. It was still quite a lively little place then. There's never been a night like it before or since. It was pretty much the same in Accy I believe, a conga line on Blackburn Road being targeted by a lone, insane coin throwing Dingle!

I know a couple of lads that ended up hanging around Anfiield after the match. They scrounged a lift on the players coach. The players were great with them. They ended up having a drink with them in Preston. Think it was Bistro French.

So are BRFC actually going to do something for the fans in 2015 to celebrate 1995 or is all we get the pre-match video?

Has anyone got a photo of that steeplejack painting 'CHAMPIONS' on the chimney behind the Blackburn End?

Yep, I still have the newspaper with it in. And also the Blackburn Times from our 1975 3rd Division victory.

Archived