BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 14th May: 20 years on. Champions of England

It is the 20th Anniversary year of the best club ever to win the Premier League

And today is VE day and the best atmosphere I have felt ever at the new ewood. Surpassing the derby play off 1st leg at the old Ewood

As not everyone could be at Anfield for the final push where were you when we won it?

I was just 19 and having failed to get a ticket I spent a fraught afternoon at friends in Cherry Tree with one eye each on two matches. Then it was off to Ewood to join the street party.

It felt like the start of a glorious Dynasty :(

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol you are right. i saw a headline and got mixed up whilst working. cant multitask.

It was of course the day the blackburn end collectively blew the ball away from the net against newcastle

It is the 20th Anniversary year of the best club ever to win the Premier League

And today is VE day and the best atmosphere I have felt ever at the new ewood. Surpassing the derby play off 1st leg at the old Ewood

As not everyone could be at Anfield for the final push where were you when we won it?

I was just 19 and having failed to get a ticket I spent a fraught afternoon at friends in Cherry Tree with one eye each on two matches. Then it was off to Ewood to join the street party.

It felt like the start of a glorious Dynasty :(

I was in the Jack Walker Stand, One of the few times the place rocked! Had a perfect view of THAT save from Flowers at the Darwen End. Can see it just as clearly now!

The image of Shearer rising to meet that cross with his head is frozen in my mind..it was almost as if in slow motion on he night!

I remember the Geordies exchanging scarves with the Riversiders at game end.

Also shouting Champions at the Rovers supporters in the Riverside towards the end. A fantastic night all round, will still laugh if they get relegated though :)

• Backroom

Thank God things didn't go worse on that final day, getting so close and never winning it would have been heartbreaking

Couldn't get a ticket for anfield and coming from Blackburn but having lived in Accy for years I decided to go " home" for this game, watched it in the jubilee. ( the meeting place for many away games in the 70s). What a day, never thought I'd see Rovers in the premier/ 1st division, but to be champions,thank you thank you Jack walker.

I was lucky enough to be brought up watching Rovers during the 90's era.

Can remember this of course, aged only 10 - What a night!

Can rarely bring myself to watch it back these days... just brings home what has happened to us over the last 3 years or so.

• Moderation Lead

My 11th birthday that day, one of the best matches I've ever seen Rovers involved in. I just remember us getting hammered but putting in a defensive masterclass.

VE Night was the finest moment of my Rovers Supporting lifetime.

SKY coverage(watched later and then again,again,again) captured the atmosphere and sheer delight/relief we all felt as the team held on. The Liverpool match,by comparison, was a complete damp squib because my crew were all shattered by the drama.

It was only when we got back to the M6 turn-off to Samlesbury and the Rovers flags welcoming us back that the feeling of elation returned.

Always Remembered. RTID.

• Moderation Lead

So much passion back then, if only I could muster that same kind of passion under this mob

Much easier when we're vying for the league title ;)

• Backroom

I do think it's slightly insane that the team that won it are getting back together at Ewood and only a handful of fans will get a chance to be there.

Sounds like the event on Monday was a cracker though at least

• Backroom

Insane was the wrong word but feel a match with that team against a team made up of others would have drawn a good number of fans down to join in

Archived