BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 14th May: 20 years on. Champions of England

Brings a lump to the throat doesn't it. can't remember enjoying the game at Anfield much to be honest. probably too nervous and too much ale before the game. I agree with Kenny, until 10 minutes from the end I thought we were going to do it and then suddenly there was a terrible feeling that we had blown it.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bloody good do tonight. Motty who isn't my favourite commentator played a blinder. Some big money made from the raffles etc and a good number from 75 and a great presence from '95. The rich and famous were in attendance with notable guests including Mr & Mrs Tris, Gordon Taylor and of course BRFC's biggest fan of all time Jack Straw all in attendance

95 ......Excellent interviews with Motty and in pairs Flowers and Gale, Shearer and Sutton and Kenny and Tim Sherwood with Le Saux, Hendry, Warhurst, Newell, Atko, Gally, Wilcox and Pearce all in attendance on the night and all very willing for the never ending photographs and autograph signings.

'75 Equally entertaining for those that rem. interviews with Motson and Hawkins and Lee (the latter now resembling Lurch from the Adams Family) plus Fazackerley and Beamish. Players from that era included Oates, Burgin, Kenyon and stuart metcalfe the 70's duggy.

Also in attendance and the most talented footballer in the room Bryan Douglas who donated a cap v Austria to the auction and gave a few words at the end.

Not much of a presence from todays set up other than the recently retired Dunny to his credit. I do think GB at the very least should have been there tbh.

All in all I left with a very warm feeling with nostalgia coursing through my veins and arteries. :closedeyes:

So now back to the real world........ :!::(

Bloody good do tonight. Motty who isn't my favourite commentator played a blinder. Some big money made from the raffles etc and a good number from 75 and a great presence from '95. The rich and famous were in attendance with notable guests including Mr & Mrs Tris, Gordon Taylor and of course BRFC's biggest fan of all time Jack Straw all in attendance

95 ......Excellent interviews with Motty and in pairs Flowers and Gale, Shearer and Sutton and Kenny and Tim Sherwood with Le Saux, Hendry, Warhurst, Newell, Atko, Gally, Wilcox and Pearce all in attendance on the night and all very willing for the never ending photographs and autograph signings.

'75 Equally entertaining for those that rem interviews with Motson and Hawkins and Lee (the latter now resembling Lurch from the Adams Family) plus Fazackerley and Beamish.

Also in attendance and the most talented footballer in the room Bryan Douglas who donated a cap v Austria to the auction and gave a few words at the end.

Not much of a presence from todays set up other than the recently retired Dunny to his credit. I do think GB at the very least should have been there tbh.

All in all I left with a very warm feeling with nostalgia coursing through my veins and arteries. :closedeyes:

Could not have put it better, a truly inspirational evening , which will live in my memory for years to come

I was also at the evening last night and it was fantastic. Some really good interviews. I was lucky enough that the bosses at my work had a table and invited me.

I can understand Tom's view that it's a shame there wasn't a wider celebration of it. But equally I'm not sure what else could have been organised.

_83007967_alanshearer.jpg

Back Row: Tony Parkes, Stuart Ripley, Jason Wilcox, Colin Hendry, Bobby Mimms, Paul Warhurst, Tony Gale, Ian Pearce, Mike Newell

Front row: Kevin Gallacher, Jeff Kenna, Tim Flowers, Alan Shearer, Tim Sherwood, King Kenny, Chris Sutton, Mark 'super atko' Atkins, Graeme Le Saux, Alan Wright.

They've changed so much I wouldn't have recognised Ripley or Atkins if they passed me in the street. Flowers hasn't aged well either.

Great photo though - thanks.

They've changed so much I wouldn't have recognised Ripley or Atkins if they passed me in the street. Flowers hasn't aged well either.

Great photo though - thanks.

Those two like the pies for sure. Rest of them haven't changed much at all except big Col seems to have shrunk a bit !

A mate of mine never told me he had a ticket until I got the boasting watsapp photos from him the git. Green with envy all night

I know similar who kept it quiet. Won't be forgotten.

It was a works freebie too Stuart. At least he was a Rovers nut BK (before kids) and not some hanger on.

I knew a few non-rovers fans who went to the celebration night at ewood just to see the trophy and a few ST holders who didn't get in because of them.

We should have had a town civic reception instead

I was told about this event by a Judge round about Christmas time who'd acquired a ticket through a private member's Club the District Club at the bottom of East Park Rd. I assumed the tickets for it had been accounted for before they'd even been issued so I didn't bother making a discreet enquiry with anyone at the Club. Wish I had now on the off chance.

Hope everyone present had a great time. We as fans had unsurpassable memories, and a lot of people prospered and became very wealthy on the back of one man Uncle Jack. He'll surely remain in the hearts of every Rovers fan forever.

Shame his family treated the Club and Jack's legacy with such disdain and indifference after he was gone but nothing can take away what he achieved whilst he was here and the period of success we achieved after his passing thanks to the infra structure and financial support he'd already put in place.

Did Big Col drive home?

'75 Equally entertaining for those that rem. interviews with Motson and Hawkins and Lee (the latter now resembling Lurch from the Adams Family) plus Fazackerley and Beamish. Players from that era included Oates, Burgin, Kenyon and stuart metcalfe the 70's duggy.

Sounds brilliant.

I would have bid up to £2K for BD's cap v Austria. How much did it go for Gordon?

Quote from the LET today:

(Robbie) Slater was unused substitute on the final day of the season at Anfield.

He told Fox Sports Australia: “I should have got on but Kenny says he forgot! It didn’t matter.

“Afterwards we got on the bus at Anfield and didn’t go home. Kenny had organised a restaurant in Preston.

“We got word very quickly, ‘don't come home to Blackburn, it’s mayhem’.

“We stayed there all night, got home at 8am in time to change to parade the trophy at Ewood Park, and kept going.

“We went for a pub crawl. A 58-hour session - if I tried that now I’d die.

“The last image I have of the celebration was on the second night at 2am and Colin Hendry was standing there holding a pint, naked.

“I looked at him and thought, ‘it’s time to go home!’”

Now there's an image to conjure with.

Did Big Col drive home?

Sounds brilliant.

I would have bid up to £2K for BD's cap v Austria. How much did it go for Gordon?

I am sure it went for about 4 grand. The pfa table were in the bidding war but their final bid of 3k was surpassed.

Monaco trip for 2 for a few nights, Grand Prix, meet dignitaries etc went for 8.5k!

Great memories...interesting the Robbie Slater warning about 'mayhem' in Blackburn after the title victory. On our return from Anfield, Preston New Road was briefly restricted to single lane incoming traffic outside the Woodlands and I remember witnessing jubilant and celebratory sex and debauchery on the streets! The good times did roll - very happy day indeed!

I was told about this event by a Judge round about Christmas time who'd acquired a ticket through a private member's Club the District Club at the bottom of East Park Rd. I assumed the tickets for it had been accounted for before they'd even been issued so I didn't bother making a discreet enquiry with anyone at the Club. Wish I had now on the off chance.

Ah, proper old school cronyism. Keep out the riffraff.

Quote from the LET today:

(Robbie) Slater was unused substitute on the final day of the season at Anfield.

He told Fox Sports Australia: “I should have got on but Kenny says he forgot! It didn’t matter.

“Afterwards we got on the bus at Anfield and didn’t go home. Kenny had organised a restaurant in Preston.

“We got word very quickly, ‘don't come home to Blackburn, it’s mayhem’.

“We stayed there all night, got home at 8am in time to change to parade the trophy at Ewood Park, and kept going.

“We went for a pub crawl. A 58-hour session - if I tried that now I’d die.

“The last image I have of the celebration was on the second night at 2am and Colin Hendry was standing there holding a pint, naked.

“I looked at him and thought, ‘it’s time to go home!’”

Now there's an image to conjure with.

I was Rovers mascot a year or two after we won the league, and got to meet the players in the dressing room. I'll never forget that Big Col came to shake my hand, completely naked, meat and two veg swinging. I get the impression there wasn't a player from that squad that hadn't seen every bit of Col's anatomy so many times that they probably had nightmares about it.

Archived