BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] holiday books

The only time i read a book is away on holiday , anyway last year i bought myself a kindle for this years trip has anyone got any sports related books doesnt have to be football ,i enjoy a biography (although it doesnt have to be )espicially if its somebody with a bit of character, ive read Dalglish's Brian Clough's and of course Simon Garners .

Get Simon Jordan's book AKW, a cracking read and a real eye opener about his time at Palace.

I'd always thought of him as a flash southern tosser, which he probably is but his book is cracking and I've more respect for the guy after reading it.

I'm also not much of a reader AJW but i recently started reading some of the shorter classics, books you think youknow but have never actually read. Things like 1984, the Great Gatsby, Candide and The Heart of Darkness. Most of them are available for free online and are easy to finish in a week, even for a non-reader like me.

Animal Farm is a little cracker too. Give me a crime novel (usually James Patterson, Lee Child, or Karen Rose) or sports biog any day :)

Crime all the way mike. From probably the most honest and law abiding person ever. You can't beat those you've mentioned. Also like Karen slaughter, peter james, peter Robinson, James Rollins (more action quest novels bit like da Vinci code) or whatever takes my eye in the library

• Moderation Lead

If you're after a biography, Gary Neville's was fairly decent, as was Ricky Hatton's I felt.

Good to see a nod to James Patterson above!

thanks everyone , i like Gav's suggestion (even if he did get my name wrong ;) ) of Simon Jordan , i've heard him a couple of times on radio and while he's not everyone's cup of tea , will probably give a different insight into a football club from that of a player or manager

thanks everyone , i like Gav's suggestion (even if he did get my name wrong ;) ) of Simon Jordan , i've heard him a couple of times on radio and while he's not everyone's cup of tea , will probably give a different insight into a football club from that of a player or manager

Bloody iPhone..... AJW

Apologies

Maxim Gorkys 'my childhood', good short read and Cormack McCarthys 'the road' prob one of my top 5 fave books, Ian Flemings bond books are also great short reads(and they're much better than the cruddy badly dated films)

Reading Alan sheared diary of a season as a young teen, covering the prem winning season was enough to put me off sports biographys of any of kind.

• Backroom

no probs .... btw has anyone read any of the secret footballer books ?

I read the first one and found it a good read. Easy reading for sure, nothing taxing. Bit of an eye-opener to some shenanigans!

I'd love to know who it is.

no probs .... btw has anyone read any of the secret footballer books ?

I've read them both and echo what Mike says really, nothing too taxing and you'll finish them pretty quickly I would imagine. First one is better than the second.

How I Escaped My Certain Fate by Stewart Lee is a good read but he's a bit like marmite isn't he.

Seeing as you said you like biographies, I read an Oliver Reed biography called 'Evil Spirits' which was thoroughly entertaining. Michael Caine's 'What's it All About?' I read last time I was on holiday and would recommend.

I've just borrowed Samuel Pepys' Diary from my Dad and really looking forward to reading that.

Archived