BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fred Else

RIP Fred.

Great service for Rovers. Not the tallest of goalies - think he was only about 5'9" ! Never seen a goalie kick the ball so high from out of his hands !

Very sad to hear this.

Fred was from another age in football, he was small for a goalkeeper, only 5ft 8in or so, and his kicks barely reached the halfway line - and he often wore a flat cap !

But he was a fine goalkeeper for Rovers in the excellent side of the early to mid-1960s - one the best Rovers sides I have seen.

RIP and condolensces to the family. His son was at my school and I remember Fred attending PTE meetings - a great thrill for us as Rovers-besotted kids.

Another of the good guys gone. Very sad to hear this, my heartfelt condolences to his family.

When I was 11 years old I was hospitalized in Preston Royal Infimry for about six weeks during the big freeze of '63. During that time, someone my Dad knew wrote to the Rovers to tell them of my predicament. One day I looked down the ward to see Fred, John Bray and Bryan Douglas walking towards me, they stayed about half an hour and signed my Charles' Buchan's annual (The one with Bray on the front cover). Fred was a great keeper and real gentleman. May he rest in peace.

Another of the good guys gone. Very sad to hear this, my heartfelt condolences to his family.

When I was 11 years old I was hospitalized in Preston Royal Infimry for about six weeks during the big freeze of '63. During that time, someone my Dad knew wrote to the Rovers to tell them of my predicament. One day I looked down the ward to see Fred, John Bray and Bryan Douglas walking towards me, they stayed about half an hour and signed my Charles' Buchan's annual (The one with Bray on the front cover). Fred was a great keeper and real gentleman. May he rest in peace.

What a great memory!

Archived