Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Under 21's Match Report: Blackburn Rovers 3 - 0 Brighton

Kamy100

Parsonblue's match report from the recent under 21's match:

Monday 28th September 2015 – Barclays Under-21 Premier League Division Two

Blackburn Rovers Under-21 3 v 0 Brighton & Hove Albion Under-21

Blackburn Rovers Under-21 (1) 3

Taylor 12, Petshi 59, Forrester 71

David Raya; Ryan Nyambe, Sam Lavelle, Scott Wharton, Jack Doyle; Connor Mahoney, Sacha Petshi (Mark Edgar 83), Chris Taylor (Connor Thomson 75), Modou Cham; Devarn Green (Hyuga Tanner 75), Anton Forrester.

Subs not used: Ryan Crump (gk), Lewis Mansell.

Manager: Damien Johnson

Brighton & Hove Albion (0) 0

Joshua Smith; Robert Hunt, Ben White, Tom Dallison, Dylan Barnett; Joe Ward (James Tilley 64), Ben Barclay, Jesse Starkey (Connor Tighe 82), Jeffrey Monakana; Charlie Harris; Daniel Akindayini (Luke Chike Kandi 72).

Subs not used: Bailey Vose (gk), Tom Cadman.

Manager: Simon Rusk

Referee: Mr. S. Oldham

Bookings: Blackburn Rovers Under-21 – None

Brighton & Hove Albion Under-21 – None

Attendance: 238

Ewood Park is certainly proving a happy hunting ground for the Under-21 team as they followed up their victory over West Ham United with a convincing 3-0 win over Brighton. However, it was the manner of the performance which really caught the eye with not a weak link to be seen in a Rovers team that knocked the ball around with confidence and created chances whilst still remaining tight at the back.

The Rovers included Chris Taylor in their line-up as he continued his recovery after his long term injury problems whilst David Raya was given a runout between the posts.

The Rovers made a superb start to the game with Ryan Nyambe showing is paces down the right before whipping in a cross was only cleared as far as Taylor. The former Millwall man struck a powerful shot which Joshua Smith did well to get down to his left to make a save.

However, on twelve minutes the Albion ‘keeper was powerless to prevent Taylor from giving the Rovers the lead. A lovely move on the part of the Rovers ended with Devarn Green pulling the ball back for Taylor to hit a shot from outside of the area which arrowed into the bottom corner of the net.

Sam Lavelle then had to head clear from a free-kick before a Scott Wharton error gave the visitors an excellent opportunity to equalise. The young defender mis-judged the flight of the ball which went over him and allowed Daniel Akindavini a clear run on goal. However, when he fired off his shot, Raya produced an outstanding piece of goalkeeping when he pushed the ball over the bar with one hand.

Excellent work from Sacha Petshi put Green clear on the right and from his cross the Brighton defence managed to scramble the ball away for a corner.

Taylor then had another long range effort blocked before Green and Anton Forrester combined to almost open up the Brighton defence. Forrester then got on the end of a Nyambe cross which Smith saved before Modou Cham fired over from outside of the area.

The visitors came back with a dangerous cross from the right which Raya had to be alert to come out and throw himself full length to grab the ball before it reached the feet of Akindayini.

Petshi, who was having an outstanding game in midfield, found Green who, in turn, played the ball out to Connor Mahoney. Mahoney’s cross was blocked for a corner from which Forrester sent in a header that Smith caught under his crossbar.

Brighton then had a very good opportunity just before the interval when a cross from the right was whipped over to Charlie Harris who met it first time but could only direct the ball straight at Raya who stopped it on the line.

The Rovers started the second period brightly when Forrester played the ball into Cham in the area and he crossed the ball to the far post but, sadly, the centre was just too high for Green to reach.

Mahoney then robbed a defender and outran the defence before cutting inside to fire off a shot which Smith saved at his near post. Mahoney then put in a centre which Forrester reached but headed just wide.

On 59 minutes the Rovers got the second goal which their play deserved and it was a goal with epitomised the effort which the team put into closing down the opposition. Under pressure from Petshi, Smith rushed his clearance and only succeeded in kicking the ball straight to Green on the right of the Brighton goal. He took it back into the area before squaring the ball across goal for Petshi to sweep home from close range.

The Rovers almost added a third when Mahoney took a free-kick from a central position and lofted the ball into the area and Lavelle rose to head narrowly over.

Mahoney, who seemed to come alive after the interval, then embarked on another run down the right before sending in an inch perfect cross which Forrester threw himself at and scored with a superb diving header in 71 minutes.

Brighton looked a thoroughly dispirited outfit by this point having been blown away by some wonderful, free-flowing football. The Rovers created more chances with Forrester just off target with one effort while Connor Thomson’s pass to Cham just skidded away from him off the surface as the young winger looked to be through on goal. Forrester then met another Mahoney cross but his header deflected off a defender for another corner.

This was a hugely impressive performance with a number of excellent performances but above all it was a real team effort and augurs well for the future. There is no doubt that the emphasis which Gary Bowyer and Eric Kinder have put on developing the younger end of the club is finally beginning to show results in terms of improved performances. The next step, of course, will be to oversee the development of at least one or two of these players into genuine first team prospects. On the evidence of this display there is certainly the potential to be developed.

Good to see Chris Taylor back in action. I don't think anyone is going to say he's a world beater but he looked useful when I saw him, a solid pro with a good attitude and the sort of player every club should have. Hope he's match fit soon.

Brilliant report Parson. Whats your view on Petshi? Ready to step up to first XI?

Very much like Koita in being raw but Petshi looks to have the potential to be a more than useful player. Big, strong, very powerful, full of energy but with lots of skill on the ball. There are one or two parts of his game that he needs to work on - sometimes plays really over ambitious passes that can put you into trouble if they go wrong. However, on what I've seen so far I don't think he's that far away from the first team.

Good to see Chris Taylor back in action. I don't think anyone is going to say he's a world beater but he looked useful when I saw him, a solid pro with a good attitude and the sort of player every club should have. Hope he's match fit soon.

Yes Marshall should be looking over his shoulder...

Very much like Koita in being raw but Petshi looks to have the potential to be a more than useful player. Big, strong, very powerful, full of energy but with lots of skill on the ball. There are one or two parts of his game that he needs to work on - sometimes plays really over ambitious passes that can put you into trouble if they go wrong. However, on what I've seen so far I don't think he's that far away from the first team.

Great to hear. If Guthrie is out for a while along with Lowe I'm sure he will get a chance.

Whats happened to Tomlinson?

That's 3 goals and 1 assist in 5 U21 games for Forrester this season. He's looking a good prospect, but at 21 years old I fear it's happening a bit too late for him.

He's still got time. Kane, Vardy and Austin were in their early 20s when they came to prominence.

• Backroom

Green sounds like he was involved a lot and I would be tempted to stick forrester on the bench this weekend given the absolute lack of bodies we have up front

Green sounds like he was involved a lot and I would be tempted to stick forrester on the bench this weekend given the absolute lack of bodies we have up front

Agreed with Koita out our only attacking alternative is Delfy who tries but does not penetrate or look likely to score

We may as well have a kid to throw on.

Archived