BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Myers/cheston Dual Role

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember reading on here that Beamish called it "outrageous" when more fans than expected turned up for a players shirt signing. While checking my memory was indeed accurate I found this interesting post from Thenodrog. Quite damning if its accurate...note this was quite some time before Venkys bought the club.

Just a point to note but I was speaking with a prominant local businessman on Sunday (whose company has strong links to large international companies who are big sponsors / advertisers in most sports) who lambasted the marketing dept in no uncertain terms at BRFC as an 'absolute joke'* and that prospective advertisers and sponsors were turning away from the club as there was no way they were getting any sort of a return on their investment. Something I suggest to be a very necessary requirement for any business.
He was scathing in particular of Ken Beamish (not really any suprise there then) and the fact that most of the staff were in an ex-Granada comfort zone. Nick Hall who did have some business acumen has left and the marketing dept is now bereft of any dynamism whatsoever.

Evaluating the efficiency of the marketing dept (and especially in a higher profile season than normal) might be a primary and worthwhile target for BRISA to get their teeth into. Especially as the club is already finding so much difficulty in attracting income through the turnstiles.

I'm presuming they are just a mailshot to all email addresses on file?

If non ST holders are getting emails re STs/half STs or matchday offers, then great, but I doubt they are.

Speaking of the mailing list the club should send out letters (or emails if they login to online ticketing regularly) apologising to every single fan for the last few years. Of course not all of them will be Rovers fans (neutrals, infiltrators from certain clubs, etc) but there's no way of knowing that. Ask why they left and what might make them decide to come back. Provide a SAE or ask them to send the club an email.

It might not achieve anything (nobody trusts anything Venkys say after all) but at least it will be an attempt. Statements of apology via the official site/Telegraph won't really have any impact.

Has it been disclosed exactly how many people are on the database? Also how far does it go back? The club updated the ticketing system not too long ago and it required account activation. How far does the order history go back for the majority of fans? I'm guessing it was cleared when the new ticketing system was implemented? I got an email about the new system of course but what other trace was left?

I personally would like these guys to do something visable down at Ewood to sprouse up the surroundings. I like what Bournemouth have done with the large pictures of the players displayed on the inside of the stands, something like that would be nice. We have so many achievements and memories that it would be nice to see them celebrated in the ground. Perhaps even some banners celebrating former players where empty seats are, making good and creative use of the space, perhaps even some banners at the Blackburn End saying stuff like "95 Champions" "Tugay - Legend" "all you need is Duff"... Just thinking out loud here but my point is simply i'd like to see these guys making a visible difference to the matchday experience.

It's worth noting Nick Hall left Rovers in 2009, Beamish in 2012. One would assume the reference to Beamish above is at least 6 years old. How good or bad he was at his job is debatable but it's always worth putting quotes in perspective.

I personally would like these guys to do something visable down at Ewood to sprouse up the surroundings. I like what Bournemouth have done with the large pictures of the players displayed on the inside of the stands, something like that would be nice. We have so many achievements and memories that it would be nice to see them celebrated in the ground. Perhaps even some banners celebrating former players where empty seats are, making good and creative use of the space, perhaps even some banners at the Blackburn End saying stuff like "95 Champions" "Tugay - Legend" "all you need is Duff"... Just thinking out loud here but my point is simply i'd like to see these guys making a visible difference to the matchday experience.

Think it was at Tynecastle they used to do (might still do) something similar. From memory they did collages in the stands and in between two stands were large posters of players. Looked really good.

Some of the banners stuff etc is down to fans though. When I go to lorient in France, a very unfashionable club, the fans groups provide huge banners that cover the stand at the start of every match. They have people organised to get them out and down again very quickly. We used to have flags and so on all over at ewood, we used to bring 3 ourselves to every match. Nowadays it just doesn't happen. It's all well and good blaming the admin people and I'm not in any way defending their record, but we, as fans, have lost the enthusiasm too. I'm not blaming us either - we have alot of reasons for our loss of enthusiasm - but at other clubs it's fans nd club working together that make things happen

Well I clearly said it was before Venkys bought the club. Don't want to "nitpick" but it was 2006 when Hall left. People can always look up the exact dates and I only mentioned Beamish when reminded (indirectly) by Philipl referring to him.

Anorak

I think you're right Neal, they don't do enough to inspire fans or promote our achievements and history.

When young supporters or potential supporters first visit Rovers they should be made to feel inspired and in awe of our history and achievements. The whole match day experience should be a celebration and make you feel proud. It could also help improve the atmosphere and unite the fans.

It's more or less propaganda but in an honest way.

Some of the banners stuff etc is down to fans though. When I go to lorient in France, a very unfashionable club, the fans groups provide huge banners that cover the stand at the start of every match. They have people organised to get them out and down again very quickly. We used to have flags and so on all over at ewood, we used to bring 3 ourselves to every match. Nowadays it just doesn't happen. It's all well and good blaming the admin people and I'm not in any way defending their record, but we, as fans, have lost the enthusiasm too. I'm not blaming us either - we have alot of reasons for our loss of enthusiasm - but at other clubs it's fans nd club working together that make things happen

Go to places like Accy, Oxford, Bristol Rovers etc and they have lots of banners on poles before AND during the game (Ewood elf and safety would not allow that). It is down to the fans and the Club. It would be nice of the Club to go out via the media, and social media media, to encourage this. However as Gumboots says the fans must play a part in rebuilding that atmosphere again.

Go to places like Accy, Oxford, Bristol Rovers etc and they have lots of banners on poles before AND during the game (Ewood elf and safety would not allow that). It is down to the fans and the Club. It would be nice of the Club to go out via the media, and social media media, to encourage this. However as Gumboots says the fans must play a part in rebuilding that atmosphere again.

Like to see them try that at Anfield. By "elf and safety" you mean the local constabulary. Don't think the above clubs are great comparisons.

Like to see them try that at Anfield. By "elf and safety" you mean the local constabulary. Don't think the above clubs are great comparisons.

By "elf and safety" I meant Rovers security bods and the local authority who do the licensing.

The point I was making by listing those clubs (I could have included Exeter City and Hereford United) is that they are all relatively small compared to Rovers but the atmosphere is better and the fans are allowed to flag their flags and even have assistance from their respective clubs with signage.

You are allowed banners and flag poles at Ewood, granted certain restrictions apply (must be fire-resistant, type of pole etc) and prior notice must be given. This will also apply to the Liverpool's etc who regularly have things on display. IMO it is down to the fans to do things like this with original idea's, not some corporate signage that has no originality.

I used to regularly wave a large flag of Jack Walker in the Darwen End in the hope it would catch on... it did briefly, but sadly didn't last.

The club have always been open to fan-led idea's and I'm sure that it is still the case.

Speaking of corporate sections and hospitality (as discussed earlier in this thread) not sure if this offer was mentioned. Its for the 3 game series but for hospitality (wouldn't really consider Legends Lounge the "corporate crowd") in this case. £99 pounds standard and £69 for season ticket holders to upgrade.

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article/matchday-hospitality-3-game-series-2947672.aspx

You are allowed banners and flag poles at Ewood, granted certain restrictions apply (must be fire-resistant, type of pole etc) and prior notice must be given. This will also apply to the Liverpool's etc who regularly have things on display. IMO it is down to the fans to do things like this with original idea's, not some corporate signage that has no originality.

I used to regularly wave a large flag of Jack Walker in the Darwen End in the hope it would catch on... it did briefly, but sadly didn't last.

The club have always been open to fan-led idea's and I'm sure that it is still the case.

Your JW flag looked brilliant Ben.

Might just start a petition to persuade you to bring it back.

Alternatively what about a whip round on this MB to buy 4 or 5 novel flags (Garner on one perhaps?) for the fans in the DE to wave? Any takers?

For Wigan Warriors games a group of fans set up a 'flag fund' back in 2009. This raised quite a lot of money and bought plenty of flags. The fund was done with the blessing of the club and the stadium. The fans are given access before the game to set-up the flags. The flags also go to away games though some clubs try and stop it.

cats5.jpg

Your JW flag looked brilliant Ben.

Might just start a petition to persuade you to bring it back.

Alternatively what about a whip round on this MB to buy 4 or 5 novel flags (Garner on one perhaps?) for the fans in the DE to wave? Any takers?

More than happy for it to come back out... there used to be a few of us who would be on 'flag duty' so to speak and get them out pre-match. Slowly numbers dwindled and on your own it is practically impossible to get it from the store room, through the low ceiling concourse, up the steps into the stand!

Dafabet (mentioned earlier on this thread) are set to announce a sponsorship deal with Celtic. I'm assuming Myers, Cheston and Greg Coar had more to do with negotiating their sponsorship of Rovers than Shaw did.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-set-new-shirt-sponsor-7361039#eGFUJWUOmqRXKJea.97

Here's quite a funny story if people haven't seen it. Guess Dafabet can't be too thrilled with the Adam Johnson events either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3202525/Sunderland-sponsors-Dafabet-make-Dick-Advocaat-s-favourites-relegation.html

Took the opportunity to purchase the "3 match series" does anyone have any idea how sales have progressed thus far?

I queued up for the Fulham ticket first (some windows being for "tonight only" and others for "all games") and didn't get asked for my postcode sure they usually did in the past. Haven't bought at the office for ages (not referring to past few seasons preferred selecting seats online in 2011 with delivery or collection) not like there's points for tickets though I suppose. Did get asked postcode for the 3 tickets though and its a nice touch when the staff thank you by your first name. Did wonder if I was being a bit "cheap" for selecting the Riverside (£30 for the 3 matches there) but I sat there tonight and its really not too bad at all. Course I've sat there before but less than any other area.

Dafabet (mentioned earlier on this thread) are set to announce a sponsorship deal with Celtic. I'm assuming Myers, Cheston and Greg Coar had more to do with negotiating their sponsorship of Rovers than Shaw did.

Was it not the guy (name escapes me at the moment) who left for a job in the US not long after the deal was announced that secured the dafabet sponsorship? The former SkyEM sports presenter got the vacant job title added to Director of Comms in his ever growing rise up the Ewood food chain.

Just searched for his name, David Biggar , now head of live events business development at the World Wrestling Entertainment

https://www.linkedin.com/in/david-biggar-0b092053

I know all about them! From working with Derek Shaw to working with Vince McMahon talk about a contrast.

At least Biggar left for an extremely successful company albeit one with a stale product in recent times. Maybe he could persuade Vince to try and buy Rovers lol. Actually Vince was linked with Newcastle (few years ago) but I never believed it. Not really his type of deal at all though it was funny how someone at Newcastle scoffed at it as "ridiculous" as if Ashley is a better businessman than Vince.

Newcastle of course got linked with Bin Laden's family as well. Seriously if they had made a bid for Rovers back then I would have welcomed it. You can't judge people on their relatives!

Here's one joke about that I just found...

If the Bin Ladens take over, Newcastle's next boss will be Al-Anshira.

Archived