BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Myers/cheston Dual Role

Why does this feel like the manager situation all over again? Manager gets sacked, next person is nice, and Venkys says okay you try now. I hope this is just temporary until the end of the season, but I've seen something like this before

To me, its like Lambert will control footballing matters and Myers/Cheston the admin side of the club. Plus dont forget that Mrs D will have the final say anyway. And dont forget this Venkys advisor who is at the club and was here all through January according to the LT.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't understand people getting upset about a potential saving of £150-200,000 per annum. Remember this bloke cost us millions whilst working one day a week. The club need not have to a professional joke puppet so Shaw does not need replacing.

I think there is a now structure in place but with the top people in India rather than Blighty. In today's modern world with communications I can't see much of a problem to be honest.

The one concern is the health of Myers after lengthy absence due to ill health previously.

To run things successfully at Ewood you need a capable admin team behind the football team, including a functioning Board.

The manager and the team can't exist independently of the admin team. Venkys have tried to run things this way since they took over, on the cheap, no real decisions made without their say-so, yet they remain distant and uninvolved preferring to intervene sporadically without having a clue.

It hasn't worked!

Certainly the money spent on Shaw was a waste but it should be saved for someone better not withdrawn as part of a continuing rebuilding process designed to make us a normal club again.

Good offer that 3 for...

However, the club did it last year and the take up was pitiful, so here's hoping more do so this time.

And as for the wailing from a few ST holders, do me a favour! More offers the better, we've 18000 empty seats every week!

My ST in the BBEnd cost me £280, if if i'd bought my seat match by match it would have been over £500!

Plus I get priority for away games and cup ties. At some clubs STs are just guaranteeing you entry, not a method of getting a 50% discount on the RRP.

If having Myers in an influential position ensures more is done to fill those seats, all power to him!

Can't see much wrong with this , it is unusual to not have a Managing director but it happens.

I get the feeling, based on the statement released, the plan is to get PL involved in wider decision making as well. I have worked as a Development Manager for numerous years in web development companies, frequently my role got pushed into a wider decision making/contractual role, given it is Lamberts role to choose the team, the signings, the sales etc within set budgets.

Let us not forget, Shaw seemingly did less than nothing, if anything his every action was detrimental to the club, worked one day a week, didn't have a clue we had signed PL, apparently didn't read contracts, ended up suspended by the club for stupid decisions and could not get a thing resolved.. it took an outside party who did not even work in Football to start pushing us in the right direction again (Embargo lifted, PL in, Shaw out.. etc etc).

Whatever happens we know Pasha was there during the transfer window.. whatever he saw (or in the case of absence, didn't see) during this time was most likely key, it certainly did not take us long to distribute Shaws 'workload' so we did not just keep him to sign new players and god only knows if Shaw cost us signings before the window closed for perm transfers.

Having a new streamlined team can only be a good thing, the football manager, commercial and communications director and the finance director are all key in the decisions made anyway.

Its not being twisted into a negative meerly pointed out that a positive has now become a neutral situation, hell it can even be argued that its now a status quo after this amateurish and reckless decision. One clown replaced with another wage thief in Myers and the club will continue to lurch towards the abyss.I wonder if hes any nearer to answering the question "what do you do?"

This club will never learn under the current owners and is fkd whilst they remain

What would it matter though if players get signed, wages get paid and the fax machine doesn't break down. In my opinion, the situation, like many others, certainly is being twisted into a negative, as does any event at Ewood.

Some examples:

Venky's need to shut up / Venky's need to talk.

Venky's need to stay away from Ewood / Where are Venky's? They obviously don't care for the club.

We need stability! / Lambert needs to go (8 games and 6 weeks in)

We need a proper manager who has promotion on his CV / We're not happy with this proper manager with promotion on his CV.

Rhodes is useless, if he doesn't score it's like playing with 10 men / I can't believe they have sold Rhodes!

We need to keep our powder dry until summer and not pay a premium in the inflated January market / Panic! We need that guy, he's a world beater - although he's signed for one of Brentford/Bristol/Sheffield

Shaw is an idiot who is stealing a living! He only works part time, can't operate a fax machine and has lied in court. A monkey can do what he does and he's a PNE fan. Let's create some similar threads about him so Abbey can dust off the CAPS lock. We need someone who knows the club / I can't believe that two men from within the club have taken over his role.

I could go on all day and I'm sure others have their own examples.

What would it matter though if players get signed, wages get paid and the fax machine doesn't break down. In my opinion, the situation, like many others, certainly is being twisted into a negative, as does any event at Ewood.

Signing players is the least of our worries. The clubs commercial arm needs totally rebuilding and the club needs to re-engage with the Blackburn public once more. Imbeciles like Shaw and Meyers are as far from the answer as Pluto.

Now IF the statement had read that the current fudge was until the summer and then the club would look to employ a dynamic executive who's sole aim was to put the heart and soul back in Blackburn Rovers then it would be ok. But we all know that won't happen under the cntz from Pune.

Maybe they are just finally getting a grip of things after now having capable people they trust advising them and running the show.

Only reason I brought it up is it has lots of similarities to when the trust were preparing for sale. Seemingly happily sleepwalking into the embargo gave the right scenario to really start cost cutting and flogging players. Yes some wanted to go but as likely they'd have been flogged anyway. Then we have the hiring of a experienced manager and staff who should be capable of keeping the team competitive and bringing players in to do so whilst on a negative budget. Shades of Big Sam & co.

That might seem expensive but it's not really when 20 mill of players have recently been sold to get the books in order or claw some cash back. Then we have the streamlining of the board and advisors from outside brought in, same again as before. Next maybe a push on trying to get the crowd ave up a bit with cheap deals.

Not saying it's going to happen and if it did it won't be next week more likely in the summer and it was always suspected they'd leave after the parachutes finish. Perhaps they are going to go for it in the summer but I'm very sceptical on that, if you were going to prepare for a sale this is exactly the way you'd go about it and you have to seriously ask after years of neglect and basically ignoring it all of a sudden out of the blue it gets all this attention. Why?

No conspiracy before the believers get upset it's just a feeling I have looking at the bigger picture.

I don't want to spend too much time talking about the subject of takeovers ( :glare: ) but lets say your theory is correct. The problem is they can't exactly just leave plus they certainly wouldn't do a "Hayward" (though he did have other funding stipulations which Venky's certainly wouldn't) and let it go for virtually nothing. They would almost certainly be looking for an 8 figure deal probably in the region between 10-20 million at least. If a smaller club like Bolton Wanderers is looking to sell for 15 million (reportedly) in their precarious position then Venkys are hardly likely to go lower. Wouldn't it be expected that the first people they might turn too would be Seneca? If its about business would they let previous disagreements prevent any dialogue between the 2 parties? Even if it meant looking elsewhere and in all likelihood a much longer wait? I'm not sure what Seneca's financial position is but the impression they gave before was that a deal could be struck.

Its hardly likely to be easy. I certainly don't think "nobody will ever buy Rovers" as many used to say to me but you would expect it to be much harder as a Championship club. That's how I've always felt and potential relegation was a major reason for my pro takeover stance knowing it would be harder to sell. The 2 likeliest owners in football are profit makers (in England that would apply to only a few Premier League clubs and would anyone looking at profit from the new Tv deal gamble on winning promotion first?) or benefactors. Of course their is always the chance of getting total clowns such as Venkys as well. I believe relegation was inevitable under the previous neglectful ownership but it almost certainly wouldn't have been in 2011/2012.

Then there is the matter of the cretins at UEFA and scumbag clubs like United that want to prevent cases like Chelsea, City and of course Rovers. in Chelsea's case they were already a Champions League club so it took only half the time to turn them into champions. As for City I'm not sure that level of backing and truly unlimited funding will ever be topped. The benefactor model would be less likely now thanks to FUP (if you insist on calling it FFP then at least make it stand for f*** f****** Platini!) unless its completely scrapped at some point. That probably won't be this year. If the Qataris had taken over a few years ago (or Ali Syed had he been the real deal and not a conman) then their impact would have been most likely diluted. It still would have been FAR FAR superior to Venkys in all likelihood and in the best case scenario (albeit unlikely) similar to what Leicester have achieved. Leicester might still be looking at a fine for the 2013/2014 season thanks to the disgusting FUP sanctions.

I believe Venkys will still be here for the 2016/2017 season and probably beyond. If they succeed in gaining promotion that's probably the time to start asking takeover questions. If indeed that is the case I'll probably leave it to other people for the most part lol.

To me it just looks like they are getting the finances in shape, good business practice.

Don't think they are planning to leave any time soon if at all

Signing players is the least of our worries. The clubs commercial arm needs totally rebuilding and the club needs to re-engage with the Blackburn public once more. Imbeciles like Shaw and Meyers are as far from the answer as Pluto.

Now IF the statement had read that the current fudge was until the summer and then the club would look to employ a dynamic executive who's sole aim was to put the heart and soul back in Blackburn Rovers then it would be ok. But we all know that won't happen under the cntz from Pune.

There is very little commercially attractive about Blackburn Rovers. The only way it can make money is from the handouts from the TV companies. Other than that, we will always struggle. We've always been tarred with the 'Unfashionable Lancashire club" tag - which is fair enough. We love Rovers but we aren't ever going to be a global brand, or even one with national impact. Neither will Leicester if they win the league.

What do you personally think the club can do to re-engage? (Personally, I don't feel disengaged but I've never cared one iota who the board are). To me, success on the pitch is the only thing to get people back in the ground.

Makes sense to get the finances in order then, yes,

The last thing the Venky's would want is for the club to go bust, they would lose all they have put in.

Don't think taking Shaw off the wage bill is suddenly going to transform our finances is it? More like the difference between losing 10m p.a. and 9.82m p.a.

There is very little commercially attractive about Blackburn Rovers. The only way it can make money is from the handouts from the TV companies. Other than that, we will always struggle. We've always been tarred with the 'Unfashionable Lancashire club" tag - which is fair enough. We love Rovers but we aren't ever going to be a global brand, or even one with national impact. Neither will Leicester if they win the league.

What do you personally think the club can do to re-engage? (Personally, I don't feel disengaged but I've never c;ared one iota who the board are). To me, success on the pitch is the only thing to get people back in the ground.

Sponsorship and corporate revenue would be a start. Only 1 thing would satisfy me and give the club back its identity and local feel and thats new local owners who care. Sadly this is a long way away with plenty of pain and sub 10k attendances to come before that. The club is like Mirkwood.

Don't think taking Shaw off the wage bill is suddenly going to transform our finances is it? More like the difference between losing 10m p.a. and 9.82m p.a.

How much did shelfy cost us over Berg ?

• Backroom

all aboard the Rovers gravy train

I thought we had turned a corner when appointing a proper manager, but the exec structure isn't fit for purpose

Purposefully choosing not to replace Shaw just shows how utterly pointless he was.

How many first team players are out of contract at the end of the season? I know next season, given new contracts aren't offered to those players, then the squad will be threadbare. Don't think that would be an attractive proposition to any potential buyers.

Sponsorship and corporate revenue would be a start. Only 1 thing would satisfy me and give the club back its identity and local feel and thats new local owners who care. Sadly this is a long way away with plenty of pain and sub 10k attendances to come before that. The club is like Mirkwood.

Sadly, I think there's a clear lack of commercial nous at Ewood and even when in the PL, I don't think we made the most of the commercial opportunities.

IMV, it just shows how dull and unimaginative we are when we still have a half time draw, many years old and way past sell by date, with a prize of a couple of hundred quid or so, or not much more. This is very tiny fry in the scheme of things but symptomatic, I think, of just how shallow we are.................

I actually think that two senior guys, of the right quality, ably supported by a competent Football Secretary and other driven and focused staff, are more than enough to run the club.

'Back of house', I do not think we have the right quality at the club and we have too many contributing too little in value. Trouble is, IMV, the £millions of TV money made a lot of clubs 'lazy' resulting in far too many cushy numbers. To employ the same number as we did as a PL club is I think just farcical.

Sadly, I think there's a clear lack of commercial nous at Ewood and even when in the PL, I don't think we made the most of the commercial opportunities.

IMV, it just shows how dull and unimaginative we are when we still have a half time draw, many years old and way past sell by date, with a prize of a couple of hundred quid or so, or not much more. This is very tiny fry in the scheme of things but symptomatic, I think, of just how shallow we are.................

I actually think that two senior guys, of the right quality, ably supported by a competent Football Secretary and other driven and focused staff, are more than enough to run the club.

'Back of house', I do not think we have the right quality at the club and we have too many contributing too little in value. Trouble is, IMV, the £millions of TV money made a lot of clubs 'lazy' resulting in far too many cushy numbers. To employ the same number as we did as a PL club is I think just farcical.

Exactly. I was far too critical of Williams in the past but in commercial terms he didn't deliver enough in my opinion. More aggressive marketing was needed in the PL and there were too many "nice guys" at Ewood. That's how parasites like Agnew were overlooked and rose to positions of power. I always warned of "sharks" under the radar and unfortunately it was a justified warning.

The BMW offer (no not a free car just one day usage) needs looking as at well not everyone can drive and I can't see any alternative prize. The commercial staff shouldn't be overlooking any minor details.

As for Venky's and their talk of global marketing we know they haven't got the slightest football nous. Of course its hard to globally market the club in the Championship but its their fault for relegating the club in the first place.

Archived