BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Animal-Related Cruelty. (Topic Changed)

I totally understand where your at, I think a lot of people that do 'go to the dogs' just do it because it's a day or evening out with the lads, not because they have any real interest in greyhound racing(or even betting in general in many cases)

I've never even been to watch horses or dogs and have absolutely zero interest in doing so. With the internet now there wouldn't be any need and I wasn't legally old enough to gamble before getting it. Not even placed many bets on horses/dogs either though prefer horses because there seem to be more tips. I usually bet on football but might branch out a bit more if my new strategy works.

I understand people care about what effects them. That's why people would start cancer charities for instance if they have been effected whether its themselves or a relative/friend. I'm sure you're telling the truth about awful practices in greyhound racing but where do you draw the line? Virtually everything we do probably has some kind of morality argument against it. I'm sorry but animals just aren't at the top of my list. Barring something like becoming a missionary or a monk what can you do?

By the way this wasn't supposed to be an "enjoyment" thread but a serious thread. My motivation is strictly financial both for myself and the benefit of others. Only bets I place that aren't serious are tiny stakes (like 5p) on huge accumulators.

Just found out recently the Tesco store (on Hill Street) used to be the site of Blackburn greyhound stadium. The Tesco store was built in the 80's. I don't know where the nearest greyhound track is now.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The greyhound racing industry is pretty much completely self regulated and is run by The betting industry itself, which means they can literally get away with murder at every race.(and the flapping tracks aren't even required to have a vet anywhere on site)

the majority of trainers/owners mutilate, torture, abandon and/or murder their dogs once they're financially no good to them.

I used to own a greyhound and he was very well looked after by his trainer. When it came to the end of his racing career the trainer asked what I wanted to 'do' with him and was delighted that I said I'd take him to a rehoming centre in Stoke.

He didn't say it and I didn't ask but it was obvious he would've 'disposed' of the dog should I have specifically requested it.

There are (as in all walks of life) some very unscrupulous people involved in the business but I met a lot of good people who loved their dogs as well.

Sadly ld, in the greyhound world it's the unscrupulous people that are the majority, like you say, there are some owners that will try there best to work with greyhound and dog rescues and rehabilitate the dogs to home life as pets and get them adopted(I myself have an ex-racer) but most owners trainers can't be bothered to go to these lengths so they just mutilitate(cut the dogs ears off because they have traceable tattoos markings on them)abandon, and/or murder them or they get the vet to euthanaise them(but that costs money!)

Sadly ld, in the greyhound world it's the unscrupulous people that are the majority, like you say, there are some owners that will try there best to work with greyhound and dog rescues and rehabilitate the dogs to home life as pets and get them adopted(I myself have an ex-racer) but most owners trainers can't be bothered to go to these lengths so they just mutilitate(cut the dogs ears off because they have traceable tattoos markings on them)abandon, and/or murder them or they get the vet to euthanaise them(but that costs money!)

My sister had a large dog (was kept in back yard whenever I went to her house because I refused to go near it) but sold it a while ago. Don't know how much she got for it might have practically given it away. Can remember her expressing concern over who it went to so presumably she chose a new owner very carefully. Don't think any dog shelters would take it due to breed/size. Not saying it was a banned breed but it wasn't as easy as selling a small dog. It wasn't a greyhound but she was aware large dogs can be purchased by people involved in illegal dog fighting.

Dog fighting is Illegal! and i think its fair to say that only absolute vile scum bags are involved in it.

I shouldn't really have to say any more than that.(i could get back on my high horse and criticise your sister, but I wont :D )

EXCUSE ME but she was concerned and carefully chose its new owner to ensure it wasn't sold to people involved in dog fighting. Can't you read?

I wouldn't expect anything different from scouser and its as predictable as hell that he's decided to post that, abbey i'm a little surprised as you've said in the past you're a dog lover so ill just put it down to you being uniformed maybe next time you visit belle vue you you take note of the protesters that are there most weeks, belle vue in particular has one of the worst reputations in the country and is likely the number one reason why manchester tops the rspca's national dog cruelty tables.

• Backroom

wouldn't expect anything different from scouser and its as predictable as hell that he's decided to post that, abbey i'm a little surprised as you've said in the past you're a dog lover so ill just put it down to you being uniformed maybe next time you visit belle vue you you take note of the protesters that are there most weeks, belle vue in particular has one of the worst reputations in the country and is likely the number one reason why manchester tops the rspca's national dog cruelty tables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUFhVL_uXpY

Tbh the RSPCA should top that list. Half the time they recommend you put a perfectly healthy pet down.

They actually advised us 'not to choose' the cat we rescued as 'she'll be put down next week'. 2 years later, she's doing brilliantly and I'm not a cat person.

I totally agree the rspca do have a lot of major faults

Seriously abbey! i'm "swerving"? flippin heck, i'm just sticking to one issue, if you want to fill us all in on the facts surrounding the issue you've mentioned then please do.

no need you just pick n choose which animals to be cruel to

Seriously, do you really not get it or are you just being obtuse to try and score points(the exact thing you was whinging at somebody else for doing very recently)

Also, when you say "no need" I'm guessing that what you really mean is that you have no real knowledge of the issues you mentioned

Of course as expected those videos are shocking, but if you really think that those same things or worst don't happen in regular abattoirs and processing plants you're dreaming, thankfully it seems like action was taken against some of those workers and companies in the videos.

Archived