BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Corry Evans not playing rest of the season

14 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Of course you wouldn't pay him the 2 years worth of wages he is due, which is better for our club's finances (if no one else will take him).

How exactly ?   Might as well pay every useless passenger off then.

Just now, tomphil said:

If he is to stay on the books then get him fit and use him failing that loan him out but pay him off ?   What cobblers.

The problem is he's never fit... if you know how to get someone like Evans fit, go down to Brockhall and offer your services! If it is a choice between paying him up (obviously for less than his contract is worth) and keeping him on the books for the next 2 years, I would pay him up. If we can get another club to take him off us, or better yet pay a fee then obviously we should do that. Extremely average when he plays anyway in my opinion.

Mowbray sounds like he actually knows what to do in regards to Evans and that's get him to knuckle down from now until next season and get as fit as possible and prove himself. That's the way to go about it but as we know what the manager says and what those above or the player himself might think are very different at Rovers.

Paying him off though achieves nothing because we can't afford to do it obviously, where does this money come from and just how does it benefit the club to keep paying him for x years when he isn't here ?  They can't afford a replacement wage as his is still tied up, yes if they could give him one years salary and say ta ta but that would still be the best part of a million quid or more and there is no one to sell to pay him off so what do they do take another daft loan to pay him off ?

What about Stokes and numerous other pointless wage drains including ex managers and coaches still on the payroll but long gone. This kind of approach has made a huge contribution to the mess in the first place so it needs a line drawing under it. Squeeze every last drop out of what you've got now or find the best way of minimising the losses can be the only approach from now on.

Surely if a player continually proves not fit to play because of recurring injuries a club has insurance they might be able to claim on ?  I suppose the player would have to retire for that to kick in though so not much chance of that happening.

• Backroom
Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's amazing, if you'd have asked me I'd have said less than 10 starts.

Grella genuinely enraged me during that period, have to admit 38 apps surprised me too. But then that does include sub appearances. Apparently he only made 9 appearances in his last two seasons.

Evans does have a poor injury record, but Grella puts it into a bit of perspective.

Never quite understood the stick Evans gets from some. I think he's our best midfielder and had a nice partnership with Guthrie for a brief moment this season. Just a shame about the injuries.

Kinda funny how much opinions can range about midfielders.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Stokes paid off soon. He's got some talent but that always struck me as the weirdest deal of the offseason (or maybe Wes Brown). Paying off Evans would be pointless unless we somehow negotiated quite a discount in the payoff...

Archived