BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers (may) have the option to postpone Fleetwood game

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 01/09/2017 at 07:50, Manchester Blue said:

Game re-arranged for 31st of October, seemed a strange one to be so late, at first I thought it was due to half term and the option of getting more through the door with the kids off, but think it;s a week later.

Out of interest I was checking the next one as was planning to go Blackpool A when the next internationals are on, doesn't appear that Canada have a friendly that block.  Obviously might just mean it's not published.  However if they don't I presume we'd have to play this game without Mulgrew & Evans?

Great. Right in the middle of half term so we'll miss it. Thanks Rovers. Bloody Jayson Leutwiler.

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Tell you what, if we don't win this re-arranged game, we really are going to look like prize pricks aren't we?

No getting around that one, anything but 3points and what some see as a clever move will be seen in reverse. Personally wish we had played the fixture. We are starting to get a bit of momentum in the league, hopefully this international break hasn't got in the way too much.

On August 25, 2017 at 01:15, Dreams of 1995 said:

He's hardly a proven international - he's had a few appearances for a country that he didn't even play with at youth level. A country, I may add, that also plays SIMEON JACKSON because they are that short of quality.

I don't know if this is ignorant or disingenuous, but Simeon Jackson has made one substitute appearance in a competitive match in the last five years for Canada. And that was four years ago. He started against Scotland recently when Canada had an interim manager, were missing three (or four) preferred forwards and Marcus Haber was injured in training and ruled out. And Haber isn't anywhere near the squad right now either.

Leutwiler kept a clean sheet Saturday and still hasn't allowed a goal in three caps. I still want to see more of him before I form an firm opinion, but he looks like he could be second or third choice for Canada moving forward. 

Canada does play in the next window (on Oct. 8). I don't know if it has been formally announced, but the friendly is scheduled to be played in Houston which may be why the official announcement was delayed. Not sure if Leutwiler would be called in for the match, of course, a handful of players were left in Europe instead of coming in for the Jamaica match. 

10 hours ago, hobbes said:

I don't know if this is ignorant or disingenuous, but Simeon Jackson has made one substitute appearance in a competitive match in the last five years for Canada. And that was four years ago. He started against Scotland recently when Canada had an interim manager, were missing three (or four) preferred forwards and Marcus Haber was injured in training and ruled out. And Haber isn't anywhere near the squad right now either.

Leutwiler kept a clean sheet Saturday and still hasn't allowed a goal in three caps. I still want to see more of him before I form an firm opinion, but he looks like he could be second or third choice for Canada moving forward.

Canada does play in the next window (on Oct. 8). I don't know if it has been formally announced, but the friendly is scheduled to be played in Houston which may be why the official announcement was delayed. Not sure if Leutwiler would be called in for the match, of course, a handful of players were left in Europe instead of coming in for the Jamaica match. 

Does this make him a proven international?

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Does this make him a proven international?

No it does not. Not yet. But he hasn't done much wrong in the early stages of his senior career. He's played a half against South Korea and Scotland and a full match against Jamaica and has yet to allow a goal. And he has eight youth caps for Switzerland, who aren't a bad side most of the time. He hasn't proven anything at an international level, but at this stage of his career, he also hasn't done anything to indicate he couldn't be international caliber if he continues to get opportunities. And, of course, stylistically a lot of international football is vastly different than League One.

31 minutes ago, hobbes said:

No it does not. Not yet. But he hasn't done much wrong in the early stages of his senior career. He's played a half against South Korea and Scotland and a full match against Jamaica and has yet to allow a goal. And he has eight youth caps for Switzerland, who aren't a bad side most of the time. He hasn't proven anything at an international level, but at this stage of his career, he also hasn't done anything to indicate he couldn't be international caliber if he continues to get opportunities. And, of course, stylistically a lot of international football is vastly different than League One.

Fair points. If he does become a proven international, and does show to have the potential to be a quality keeper for us for years to come, I'll happily apologise.

However, up until then, my original point stands. You can't call him a proven international from 1 full game and 2 halves.

Archived