BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

West Brom Preview

On 22/08/2021 at 15:36, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

It’s amazing how cheap Samba and Nzonzi both were…a product of good European scouting and the confidence to sign such relative unknowns. We must have the shortest squad in the division…the subs all warm up directly in front of me and it was like watching a bunch of Olympic skateboarders 

Makes you wonder where Tony'd play a big lump when you have a 6'4" hugging-the-touchline Sam Gallagher on the wing while the likes of Chapman and Dolan can't get on the pitch. 

• Like 1

On 22/08/2021 at 16:33, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

I’m reading Pat Nevin’s autobiography at the moment and that approach was almost ingrained on young Scots growing up in that era. The wingers were often more jinky than physical (although John Robertson could do both). What stood out yesterday was, with the width they had, when they countered they had an abundance of options. The cross field ball was utilised well which really splices open a team of our current limitations. Power, pace and width. The gulf between us and them 

The gulf is there because the manager's tactics take us there.

We have two 6 foot lads on the wing and who exactly to aim for? Either Tyrhys Dolan or a false nine back on the halfway line! Back in Sam's day, Kalinic was hardly exactly Andre the Giant but he was big enough to make a nuisance of himself and allow our wingers someone to aim for. Danny Graham was nobody's idea of a battering ram but at least he was big enough to represent a target and willing enough to make his presence felt. What is he...is even over six foot? Regardless, he was big enough to put himself about. On Saturday, I swear I saw their two centre halves checking flights on the internet and organising their holidays. They definitely shared a bag of chips at one stage and belted out a few yawns. It was that much of a comfortable day at the office for them. 

Get Gally off the wing. Give him a run up front to prove himself or not. If he fails...at least we can't say our big £5 million target man hasn't been given enough chances. 

Edited by TheRoversReturn
  • Like 2

On 22/08/2021 at 20:38, Sparks Rover said:

Just watched this again.  If he had a left foot he could have played a more simple ball for Brereton,  I admit for using his right foot he's found a nice area to land the ball, you make your own luck I suppose.  Not bad on reflection 

We don't have many positives to take from yesterday so let's at least take that one!

But yeah, their keeper was pants there...

• Like 1

• Mike E unpinned this topic