BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

West Brom Preview

Had Rovers on the laptop and WBA on the tv tonight. 

They score for fun. Sheff United only scored 20 goals last year and none so far this year.

In a way WBA play to our strengths, we are suited to an end to end open goal fest. Still expecting nothing from the game, anything draw and above would be a great result.

The key is to not get dicked.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

West Brom will be favourites but in a home game in the Championship off the back of 7 points from 3 games, merely avoiding a thrashing is not the attitude to have. We should be confident of getting something, as hard as it will be.

Agreed, that’s what players should be thinking! I’m talking as a fan

• Backroom

A point would be a good result but I think we can beat them, they have some cracking individual players but the way Ayala has started the season I think we can contain them.

Sat here delighted at the start to the season but I’m greedy and want us to keep pushing and not be content with merely putting a shift in because it’s against one of the favourites

• Like 2

I wonder what the team will be. I am not really a fan of changing systems to match opponents but West Brom play a 343 and are very direct. I wonder if we will go to a back 3, I suppose that will depend on Nyambe's fitness as throwing in Pike for such a hard game might be a baptism of fire.

There is also the potential to stodge up the midfield a bit and perhaps bring in Davenport or Clarkson for Buckley. And I would definitely bring in Chapman for Dolan with Gallagher moving into a central position.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the preview, so thanks Mike. This fixture, always brings to mind that our club legend Simon Garner had a spell with them and of course scored at Turf Moor.

Its probably one of our toughest games this season and after our start, if we can remain unbeaten, I will be highly delighted.

• Like 1

WBA arrive full of confidence having battered Sheff Utd. They have a style of play where they try to overrun the midfield and defence and then bombard the back 4 with long stokelike throw ins which have reaped rewards for them.

The two central defenders are peripheral to a positive result in my view.

How do you combat the throw ins? Sheff U capitulated big time and all 4 goals were avoidable but just like last year they showed they have little fight. Rovers will be a different prospect in that we have two defenders who can actually win headers, step forward Ayala, this is the game for you to shine and this is the game to show you havhe the strength and stamina to play 3 games in a week.

I dont expect to win indeed I predict a loss (like the 3 previous games). 2-0 WBA and as I will miss the game due to other longstanding commitments, I will be watching from afar having sunk quite a few sherberts down in Eccleshall.

Enjoy the game and lets see just how much fight this Rovers squad have in them. 

If we get stuck in like we have been then there's nothing to fear they are a championship side like us not Barcelona. Anybody can beat anybody, no doubt our gaffer will be talking them up into one of the games biggest but as long as we can keep our momentum going we'll be fine.

Such a pity that berk in a suit has ruined a possible good gate just to squeeze loyal Rovers fans and travelling west midlands hordes.

Rovers  1     WBA   1

Diaz from the spot after Frank Skinner gives baggies an early lead.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

A perfect game for Tesco to reduce the gate fee to £20 and £10, bit of momentum,  teams doing OK    early season get a bit of excitement in .......£32 what a cock.

They use the same model as all clubs. Maximise revenue for a single game rather than increasing the fan base, and increase the seasons revenue. It’s no way to get lost supporters back through the gates.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cesus said:

Having just seen the West Brom goals from last night I think we need to be practicing defending long throws into the box. Sheff Utd certainly hadn't!

Yeah, we’ll need Ayala for this one. Regarding Mike’s preview - Bryan Douglas scored the best goal I’ve ever seen at Ewood against them back in the day.

• Like 3

Almost certain to be a step above anything we've faced so far. I'm just glad we're going into the game with 7 points from 9, rather 1 or 2 and already with the pressure cranked up.

It's not often I'd take a draw before the start of any Championship game at Ewood, but I would for this one.

• Like 2

Kaminski 

Nymabe/Pike Carter Ayala Lenihan Pickering

Buckley Travis Rothwell 

Diaz Gally

Wear Brom play at 100mph and rely on a high intensity press to force errors and create chances. We can best counter that by going direct and bypassing their press, and with Gally and Diaz up top we have the physicality and power to not only hold up the ball but also to hit Brom on the counter. 

There is no doubt that for long parts of this game we are going to have our backs up against the wall, but we have the defensive unit to stand up to that, especially with 5 at the back. Having said that we could really do with Nymabe being fit.

If we can stay in this game then we can throw Dolan and Chapman on for the final 20/30, who will hopefully take advantage of tired legs. 

This is a free hit for us considering our recent form and West Brom’s rightly so favourites tag, so am looking forward to it without much pressure. As always though am optimistic that we can get at least a point, maybe even 3. 

• Like 4

Going to be a tough afternoon. If we can  Nick one or keep it tight and get a clean sheet it’s would set us up nice for the next few games. The main thing for me is we don’t get thumped, young lads lose confidence and we start a death spiral. We need to learn to pick ourselves up after defeats and go again 

Edited by Oldgregg86

Great preview, Mike E!

Having watched the first three matches on TV, I will miss out on this one. Don't think their team looks too intimidating. Hopefully Ayala, Rothwell and Nyambe will be fit for this one, but I fear at least one of them will miss out. Clarkson from off the bench to score a screamer in the 85th to win it?