BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

West Brom Preview

1 hour ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

Proud of the lads today. Against a clearly superior outfit in all departments we clung on in there and made it a game in the second half. Yes, the Baggies should have been out of sight at one point but I don’t think we’ll face much better than that at Ewood all season. Still pleased with 7 points from 4 games. 

Agree. They reminded me of Sheffield Utd a couple of seasons ago, early doors when it was obvious they were odds on for promotion. Billy Sharp couple if my memory serves me right.

• Like 2

For me, we lost the game in central midfield.  

Lenihan aside, I thought the defence did well, and Diaz put in a decent shift.

However, we were out-muscled in central areas, exposing the lack of nouse and experience.

That said the players fought like hell to get a result and I'm less worried about relegation than I was.

More broadly, the club feels like a shadow of itself, with no sense of any light at the end of the tunnel.

And who was that Wally with the brolly on the Riverside?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He was right about the goal thought, the lad was stood on his own in the “D “, that shouldn’t happen at any level of football.

I haven't seen the goal back yet on TV. I will watch it on Quest tonight. But yes i would expect 2 players on the D

15 minutes ago, den9112 said:

I also noticed this ,but it did happen on one occasion when Dolan came on and i am sure it was one of the players who told him to go up and low and behold he took two West Brom players him ..

If it's the one I'm thinking of Dolan actually dropped into our penalty area and Brereton stayed up. Mowbray told them to swap positions. At that stage of the game both or even a third player should have stayed up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

My lad has £10 on him to score 20 goals this season, at 1000 to 1.

17 to go.

Apart from the occasional Lucky dip on the National Lottery, I don't gamble; but I reckon that the confidence Brereton Días obviously got from playing for Chile makes that a wager worth considering.🤔

1 hour ago, Cherry Blue said:

Fact everyone knows is squad is too small but get the right additions and we can stay in this division.

Is that the height of our ambitions!?

Feck me, think Mowbray has done some job on our fans.

• Like 3

Beaten by the better team, cannot fault the effort of the players.

There's no shame in losing to them, though I'd like teams to have to do more to score against us than they have today.

What there is shame in is shrugging shoulders and not learning from it or doing anything about it. I don't want pats on the back all round because we've give it a good go and lost, I want lessons to be learned and progress to be made. I want a manager who is raging inside at losing at home to a nasty team and determined to make up for it next week.

Looks like another season of conceding with regularity doesn't it? 7 now conceded and no clean sheets yet this season, and to be honest how many of those came from great quality or pressure?

Edited by JHRover

57 minutes ago, Stonesrick said:

Agree. They reminded me of Sheffield Utd a couple of seasons ago, early doors when it was obvious they were odds on for promotion. Billy Sharp couple if my memory serves me right.

That’s right, very few teams coped with their flying wing backs approach. The thing that struck me today was West Brom’s combination of pace and physicality. It’s a potent weapon in this division. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mercer said:

As Owen Coyles chief cheerleader you’ve more front than Blackpool.

• Like 5

Not too disheartened tonight, they were better than I expected if I'm honest. I think they're only just getting started too and as the season goes on and the manager has had chance to further stamp his mark on them they'll absolutely walk promotion.

Will be interesting to see if the lads pick themselves up after this defeat. 3 points at Boro would mark a very good August apart from the cup defeat (which I'm not arsed about but still, should be beating Morecombe). Barnsley may be tricky in September but apart from that it's on paper a fairly easy month, October ain't too bad either. Hopefully rack some points up and quash any relegation worries early doors.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Looking at the squad Mowbray has assembled and his tactics, yes surviving is the height of our ambition.

A good manager would get us out of this league with a summer to sort out his own squad.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Looking at the squad Mowbray has assembled and his tactics, yes surviving is the height of our ambition.

A good manager would get us out of this league with a summer to sort out his own squad.

i think it would take longer but agree basically,a decent manager would have sorted the contract issues,stopped f*****g about with tactics and played players where they are supposed to play,on a negative stance,i don`t think a decent manager would work with maggot

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I’m sorry Exiled but I’m astonished by that remark. 

What makes you think, that after 10yrs of neglect, downgrading and general mismanagement, this club, with a new manager, could make that leap to the Premiership?

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Didn't mention ambitions! Don't misunderstand me up Mercer, I've been there home and away for decades and can see the bigger picture. The season has started so I'm right behind the team regardless of who the manager is.

Like I said Mowbray should have been potted a long time ago and with a new manager in post we could have been looking towards the top end of the division. But lets see it as it is, Mowbray's been given the green light to stay and have another go this season having failed in previous seasons - understatement

We've lost a top goal scorer along with other senior players to start a season with 20 players, plus two long-term injuries, who aren't all Championship ready and will add a further 6 untested players. I'm being realistic when I say we can avoid relegation this season.

• Like 2