BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Would you try two up front?

14 hours ago, rigger said:

If you play with two forwards, they usually play as a pair, close to each other, and right up on the central defenders. This usually pulls an extra player out of position to cover the marking defenders. If you play one forward and an attacking midfielder, the defenders are usually in their preferred positions. Playing two up front does leave you short in other areas, but if you have good enough players in those areas, they will cope. 

But how does playing a midfielder who doesnt track back very often not leave you short. Then like the first half last Saturday playing two midfielders who didn't track back leave you short. I understand that the forward midfielder arriving from deep creates space but an intelligent 2nd forward will drop off to create space. 

Playing two up top literally is just cancelled out by centre halves unless they can move and draw out and create space. 

2 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

But how does playing a midfielder who doesnt track back very often not leave you short. Then like the first half last Saturday playing two midfielders who didn't track back leave you short. I understand that the forward midfielder arriving from deep creates space but an intelligent 2nd forward will drop off to create space. 

Playing two up top literally is just cancelled out by centre halves unless they can move and draw out and create space. 

Not many teams like to play one on one at the back, 9 times out of ten another player will be called in to cover. If this system is not practiced, the defenders will make mistakes or play people on-side.

On 01/11/2023 at 19:39, Upside Down said:

Two up front with two proper wingers.

How long before we see this again and the guy who does it hailed as a tactical genius?

Didn't Leicester win the Prem mostly playing 4-4-2? Whatever the formation, I do feel that someone like Gallagher or Leonard, who might be rough at the edges, would really benefit from playing closer to another player, be it an attacking midfielder or a striker.

Without being nostalgic and idealising the past, two forwards meant those two players had to work more closely in a partnership, I feel. So, I think, you would see more inventiveness and coordination. And, you might see two very different style of player working together and bringing the best out of each other.

There's no reason why it shouldn't also happen in a three, albeit, they are spatially further apart, usually, but I haven't see it, I don't think.

Edited by riverholmes

On 02/11/2023 at 23:23, roversfan99 said:

Dropping our only goal threat to accomdate Telalovic isnt a start of anything id like to see.

You could use your argument to anything. If someone suggested Wahlstedt up top and Leonard in net, its a start too.

I think on the basis of the Chelsea game I would be happy to try this.

Leonard can't be any worse in goal and Leo has a good chance of being a better finisher.

• Like 1

Ennis and Telalovic - something must be very wrong behind the scenes. Unless it is ongoing injuries they aren't informing us about, and no matter how much below the required form/ability JDT thinks they are....idk, it makes no sense how a manager desperate for a forward is refusing to use them while we play week in and week out without a single striker. There is literally nothing to lose upfront. 

I trust JDT's judgment but am just not able to muster a guess what is causing this freeze out of the team for these two.

Edited by BlueXIII
  • Like 1