BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Would you try two up front?

10 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

My logic (if it can be called that!) is if there’s two of them ‘up there’ it’s more likely one of them will score.

I guess it all depends on what, if anything, you’re taking away from elsewhere in the team.

Well, until the last couple of games I would have said our wide players were a good asset but with Sigurdsson going off the boil and Brittain struggling against Swansea I can see the sense in changing to a diamond with 2 up top 

With the ball I can see it working by having two strikers to trouble the centrebacks. The issue is more without the ball as having no wide mids will mean it is very easy to overload the full backs.

If we were to go 2 up top we would need imo to be more of a 442 but not sure we have the right players to make that work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

duff and gillespie flying down the wing💗

Duff was obviously the better player of the two - but I used to love watching Gillespie when he was on it. Very few players get you on the edge of your seat these days like him on his day.

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

Duff was obviously the better player of the two - but I used to love watching Gillespie when he was on it. Very few players get you on the edge of your seat these days like him on his day.

I remember going to watch a Rochdale v Man Utd pre season friendly. Utd sent what was basically the youth/reserve team. Beckham, Scholes, Butt, one of the Neville’s etc. All their kids at the time. Gillespie was playing on the right wing. He was head and shoulders above everybody else on the pitch. He must have been about 17 or 18 and he was ready for the first team then. He was playing against Jimmy Graham, a tough old pro left back, and Jimmy couldn’t get near him. I said to my son” Bloody hell, they’ve got another George Best on their hands here “.

If ever a lad wasted his career .

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember going to watch a Rochdale v Man Utd pre season friendly. Utd sent what was basically the youth/reserve team. Beckham, Scholes, Butt, one of the Neville’s etc. All their kids at the time. Gillespie was playing on the right wing. He was head and shoulders above everybody else on the pitch. He must have been about 17 or 18 and he was ready for the first team then. He was playing against Jimmy Graham, a tough old pro left back, and Jimmy couldn’t get near him. I said to my son” Bloody hell, they’ve got another George Best on their hands here “.

If ever a lad wasted his career .

i don`t think ferguson helped him by offloading him in the andy cole deal,he never did like players who liked a drink and a bet,he soon got shut of the  atkinson era players when he first took over at utd,they were renowned for enjoying themselves off the pitch

18 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Well, until the last couple of games I would have said our wide players were a good asset but with Sigurdsson going off the boil and Brittain struggling against Swansea I can see the sense in changing to a diamond with 2 up top 

With the ball I can see it working by having two strikers to trouble the centrebacks. The issue is more without the ball as having no wide mids will mean it is very easy to overload the full backs.

If we were to go 2 up top we would need imo to be more of a 442 but not sure we have the right players to make that work.

The full-backs are already being overloaded.

• Like 1

I would definitely go with 2 forwards.

It's been fashionable to play with the lone striker for a long, long time now - but I'd always prefer two who can play off each other up top.

I've always liked the Heskey/Owen mould, rather than two similar guys. Maybe Telalovic and Ennis/Dolan?

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dropping our top scorer to stick on a 4th German tier forward would certainly be an interesting move.

I think the only similarities to the Owen and Heskey partnership and a potential Telalovic and Ennis/Dolan one would be that one is taller than the other.

Its a start, or would you just plough on regardless ?

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I would definitely go with 2 forwards.

It's been fashionable to play with the lone striker for a long, long time now - but I'd always prefer two who can play off each other up top.

I've always liked the Heskey/Owen mould, rather than two similar guys. Maybe Telalovic and Ennis/Dolan?

So if you were going to play up front how would step the rest of the team up? 

I think 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 is our best formation and best suits our squad. 

Very few managers/head coaches play with 2 up front nowadays? 

It's fine margins in this league though - whose heads would have dropped had JRC bundled the Brittain chance in early doors against Swansea, for example? I'm pretty sure Rovers would have kicked on and won that game comfortably, had they gone ahead...but alas, we shall never know 😞 😞

As a tactic, or more likely as a tactical change during a game, I think it would certainly be worth a shout, going two up top. We can't carry on doing the things we keep doing and expecting different results...definition of madness, I believe.

It is hard being a Rovers fan at the moment. But then again, we haven't spent £110 MILLION to be rooted to the arse end of the top division, have we?

28 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

It's fine margins in this league though - whose heads would have dropped had JRC bundled the Brittain chance in early doors against Swansea, for example? I'm pretty sure Rovers would have kicked on and won that game comfortably, had they gone ahead...but alas, we shall never know 😞 😞

As a tactic, or more likely as a tactical change during a game, I think it would certainly be worth a shout, going two up top. We can't carry on doing the things we keep doing and expecting different results...definition of madness, I believe.

It is hard being a Rovers fan at the moment. But then again, we haven't spent £110 MILLION to be rooted to the arse end of the top division, have we?

No we haven't.

In fact any time we've ever come close to the top division those in power have sabotaged any chance of it happening.

• Like 1

On 01/11/2023 at 18:04, wilsdenrover said:

To someone who doesn’t attend it does sound like JDT likes committing a lot of men forward.

It seems to happen when JRC plays central. He seems to like playing further forward than his position. When at full back he goes into midfield. When in midfield he drifts upfront. Thats fine if we are playing two other midfielders as when Dunn had Flitcroft and Tugay protecting. Today though we've already got Sammie playing high it leaves us wanting in the midfield especially with Tronsdtat playing so deep.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Dropping our only goal threat to accomdate Telalovic isnt a start of anything id like to see.

You could use your argument to anything. If someone suggested Wahlstedt up top and Leonard in net, its a start too.

Now you are being silly.

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

So if you were going to play up front how would step the rest of the team up? 

I think 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 is our best formation and best suits our squad. 

Very few managers/head coaches play with 2 up front nowadays? 

Two teams who played 2 up front last season were Luton and Sheffield United.

It's tough.  I think naturally our most threatening attack is something of a 4321 with Brittain and JRC at full back.  Wharton Tronstad and Travis as a 3 (with Tronstad and Travis doing the graft, either covering full backs or packing the midfield - little licence to go forward as sick of chances falling to Travis) and then 2 centralish players (choice of Dolan, sigurdson, markanday + super Szmod) playing off a striker (has to be Leonard of recent efforts, although want to see Telalovic come good) 

Markanday is better centrally.  He's technically strong but lacks pace.  Dolan seems to have some bite back and again lacks long distance pace to play out wide for me.  

2 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

Two teams who played 2 up front last season were Luton and Sheffield United.

I know Im being thick but whats the difference between having two playing up front and having one up front and a midfielder who rarely drops back behind the half way line, which is how we play at present?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

I know Im being thick but whats the difference between having two playing up front and having one up front and a midfielder who rarely drops back behind the half way line, which is how we play at present?

You’ll have to ask someone more intelligent than me to explain that as I don’t know either. 

9 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

You’ll have to ask someone more intelligent than me to explain that as I don’t know either. 

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

If you play with two forwards, they usually play as a pair, close to each other, and right up on the central defenders. This usually pulls an extra player out of position to cover the marking defenders. If you play one forward and an attacking midfielder, the defenders are usually in their preferred positions. Playing two up front does leave you short in other areas, but if you have good enough players in those areas, they will cope. 

• Like 1