BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Celtic fans' behaviour tonight

Paul Mellelieu

Guest grahamhowarth

Mr mc garry i am still confused?how old is your son then.What i was confused about was if he was born in eire??how come he supports a scottish team?instead of b'burn or did you inherit him.Have you spent the last week trying to explain to him about the bigotry and hatred for your fellow man that comes from supporting such team or have you just posted on this board for effect???I won't be able to reply to any post because the vultures are circlimg overhead and i have already got a yellow card for saying i was confused and commiserating with your sad confrontation; but i just had to know.

PS Floopsy,if you know of a load of dickheads who follow b'burn yet they don't go home or away,what kind of company are you keeping.(oh,oh)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham, this is how it happened:

1.  Paul leaves Blackburn aged 18 to go to University and never returns

2.  In Manchester Paul meets Jenny - born in Belfast - who already has young son.   Father is Celtic (and United) fan.

3.  Said boy follows Rovers until old enough to realise that all his friends back United and Irish family support Celtic.  

4.  Boy, now aged 13, is made clear about the sectarian support of the Scottish big two by mother.  Not unreasonably, living in Manchester, he thinks it's crap and can't really work out what religion has to do with football.

So there you have it - 13 year old has better insight into the issue than most of the Celtic fans who have posted here.

I think the main problem was the amount of time Celtic fans had to get bladdered before the game and the almost extraordinary lengths the "authorities" went to to make sure they had a good time in Blackburn.

I know some of you experienced problems or witnessed certain things but I found that in the majority of cases most Celtic fans were a reasonable bunch bearing in mind many had been drinking all day.

In England on Official Travel, coaches arrive at the away ground a relatively short time before kick off with booze banned for obvious reasons. What happened on Thursday? The official Celtic Supporters coaches dropped them off at the Boulevard to enable them to go on the lash with the apparent blessing of all concerned. And this wasn't Rovers versus Charlton or someone, it was a sodding invasion of around 13,000.

Trawling through the various topics in the last couple of days it seems Celtic fans were both loud and well oiled but there was no particular hooligan element intent on causing trouble. Contrast this with various reports of Rovers supporters :-

- O'Neills and Postal Order attacked to get at visiting fans.

- A mob of 100 attacking Celtic fans near the Aqueduct Pub.

- Celtic fans being thumped in Bburn End and Riverside.

Considering all the above and the fact that 800 genuine Celtic fans were locked out of the Darwen End I feel the Police would have been fairly pleased that a full scale riot didn't ensue. God only knows what would have happened if they had been playing Newcastle, West Ham or Chelsea to name but three.

Not allowed speak my language apparantly.

That's not what I'm saying.

I know. Just a general comment, don't want to go into it further or I will get warned for talking about politics.

The fact that the Celtic fans have Basque/Palestinian flags, so what? Okay I don't see why they would have one instead of a tricolour but I don't think anyone should be surprised that they support said sides in the disputes. Incidently I saw quite a few Scottish flags in the Darwen End.

Honest - I was just asking a question - getting other members booked ain't my style.

I was being heavily sarcastic though - couldn't resist it. I find it hard to understand why you find Paul's points so puzzling.

His lad was born in Ireland - so followed Celtic. Lots of Irish people follow Celtic, the club was formed by Irish monks who settled in Scotland as I remember it. There's nothing surprising in that.

Yeah well, there was a bit of a difference between the sentences wasn't there?

If it was down to me you wouldn't have got a card as you hadn't offended me. "Water off a duck's back" etc etc.

I wasn't trying to get you carded, just trying to make sure I  understand your motivation.

Guest grahamhowarth

(1)since i know that intelligence is not your style.

(2)since I know antagonism isn't your style.

Are you trying to tell me (2) is alright but (1) is not?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.