BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What Is Souness Doing With The Midfield?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually completely forgot Gordon Strachan was available.

He should go to the top of the list. He doesn't need the hip operation (at least as long as he doesn't play football and does the correct exercises he won't)

Don't think Mark Hughes would touch us with tongs and George Graham definitely ISN'T what we need. We've had an opinionated OBJECTIONABLE Scot, we don't need another. (Strachan isn't objectionable- he's really nice)

I'm interested in what some of these people's reaction would of been if he had won.

We were 2-1 up! a bit tighter defending until the end and we would of been laughing! (Barr bad refereeing decisions). Who says we can't build on this.

Edited by roversactive

I certainly don't like this tactic, but play either

Ferguson 
De Pedro           Thompson
         Matteo

Or:
        Tugay
De Pedro         Thompson
       Ferguson

and it should work OK. I haven't seen much of De Pedro, but I think he could work pretty well there. Thommo would fit in there too. But it shouldn't be completely narrow ofcourse, some width is needed. Basicly play it quite narrow off the ball, a bit wider while attacking.

That being said, I would prefer a flat 4-4-2.

Roveractive

Possibly some of the more fickle would have given him the benefit of the doubt until the next time he put out a rubbish formation in the first half and changed it at half time (ie the next match we play)

The facts are- blame whoever external you will, this has been going on for months and we should get rid.

• Backroom
I certainly don't like this tactic, but play either

Ferguson 
De Pedro           Thompson
         Matteo

Or:
        Tugay
De Pedro         Thompson
       Ferguson

and it should work OK. I haven't seen much of De Pedro, but I think he could work pretty well there. Thommo would fit in there too. But it shouldn't be completely narrow ofcourse, some width is needed. Basicly play it quite narrow off the ball, a bit wider while attacking.

That being said, I would prefer a flat 4-4-2.

Who's this Or: player in midfield ?? When did we sign him? and how much did he cost ? tongue.gif

We've had an opinionated OBJECTIONABLE Scot, we don't need another. (Strachan isn't objectionable- he's really nice)

You've used this argument before about why you don't like him and I still don't understand it. What does it matter how nice he is? Ferguson is the most succesful manager of our time and how nice was he. Cloughie wasn't all that nice at all and I wonder what you would make of him.

I think the difference between them and our "manager" is just that they could also put the arm around people when necessary for the good of both player and club. Once Souness has a hissy fit with someone, they're out, even if that is to the detriment of the club.

He used a formation for the first half that worked well away from home at the end of last season. We got down at the half, so he changed tactics because we were now playing catch up.

Funny how no one was criticizing playing 4 central midfielders after the Fulham match last season.

Someone said about us once having Gillespie and Duff racing down the flanks and giving us good width and balance. Well I suppose everyone thought Gillespie was well and truly out of our minds when they saw Brett Emerton against Wolves...

However some of Souness's midfield tactics have been baffling. Fingers crossed De Pedro can get his fitness up, then tie up a deal for Gamst-Pedersen who apparantly only wants to join an 'ambitious' club going places.

Thompson Tugay Ferguson De Pedro/Gamst-Pedersen anyone?

Jan, do you hold a personal vendetta against Souness? Are you sure that it's his management of th eclub that bothers you.

What do I hate about Souness??

I despise his ploy of selling off the family jewels from the club and buying rubbish to replace them;

I despise his attitude towards patently talented players who don't bow to his every wish. Most bosses in any walk of life strive to create harmony within their teams, not disharmony. He seems to enjoy making people hate him

I despise the fact that in spite of his having bought all of the playersin the squad and having lots of preseason games to try them out in he still has not the slightest clue about who should/can play where.

I used to joke that Ray Harford just stuck all the players name in a bag and played them in the positions he drew them out in. I now think that compared to this joker, Harford was actually quite positionally astute!

That's not to mention the tactics. Do we have any? No evidence so far this season or for large chunks of last season.

I also despise his manner in interviews "lady luck" "officials" - get a grip- if he put out the right team trained correctly and using the right tactics, we'd win.

Jan, do you hold a personal vendetta against Souness? Are you sure that it's his management of th eclub that bothers you.

What do I hate about Souness??

I despise his ploy of selling off the family jewels from the club and buying rubbish to replace them;

I despise his attitude towards patently talented players who don't bow to his every wish. Most bosses in any walk of life strive to create harmony within their teams, not disharmony. He seems to enjoy making people hate him

I despise the fact that in spite of his having bought all of the playersin the squad and having lots of preseason games to try them out in he still has not the slightest clue about who should/can play where.

I used to joke that Ray Harford just stuck all the players name in a bag and played them in the positions he drew them out in. I now think that compared to this joker, Harford was actually quite positionally astute!

That's not to mention the tactics. Do we have any? No evidence so far this season or for large chunks of last season.

I also despise his manner in interviews "lady luck" "officials" - get a grip- if he put out the right team trained correctly and using the right tactics, we'd win.

You dont rate him then ?

Come on Jan.

You have ommited to mention that the one thing you despise most about Souness are his Rangers connections.

I know this is difficult for some incredibly stupid people to understand, but it's this club I care about when thinking about Souness. And if you want to know the background for my despising him- it's his days at Liverpool (and for Scotland). Some on here may be too thick to understand that, but hey, I can't help that.

So I complain about your silly rants which inevitably centre on a comparison with Dalglish and that means I think he's doing a fine job does it? Alternatively you've got no sensible argument to make so you just make stuff up instead. Fair enough whatever makes you happy.

Edited by Manchester Blue

Judging by the first two performances this season there's only two players I'd pick in the midfield, Tugay and Ferguson. We have to believe Emerton will come good. There were hints today at Southampton. That leaves the leftside. Again, I think we must try and stick with Pedro. We need a settled side for a few matches, injuries and 'sendings off' permitting. Flitcroft, Matteo, Gresko are not good enough. I'd rather raid the reserves side and risk the future.

Great post American,

When we win with 4 central midfielders,no one complains and Souness is a genius for lining up four of the same to close down opposition.But today in a match where we were the better team for quite long periods,but lost over the most blatant of mistakes from the referee and two other poor defensive mistakes,it was bad.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.