SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Manager is Mark Hughes

3rdpillar

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not knocking Mark Hughes and I obviously hope he does well when / if he comes in but can anyone explain why he is the overwhelming favourite for the job? He's very inexperienced in the role and despite having had a couple of good results for Wales these were some time ago and were followed by 18 months of bad ones - a run which still continues. (And before anyone blames it on the quality of the Welsh team are they really that much poorer than the players he'd have at Ewood?). It all seems vaguely reminiscent of the clamour for Kidd. Wasn't he the players / fans choice too?

Who would your choice be? Tell us that

I don't think it matters who my choice would be if it's simply a case of pulling a name out of the hat. There needs to be a set of criteria that leads to a suitable candidate - things like track record would surely figure highly on that list. I'm just interested to see if anyone has applied such criteria to the clamour for Hughes

Can someone tell me what Moyes has done that Strachan hasn't?

- Been lauded as being one of the brightest young managers in the game (whilst at Preston).

- Never been in charge of a relegated club.

- Left a club in a far better state than he found it in.

- Coped with ridiculous pressures when in charge of a Premiership club and thrived on it.

Neither manager has set the Premiership alight, but I do think Moyes would be a better choice.

I don't think it matters who my choice would be if it's simply a case of pulling a name out of the hat. There needs to be a set of criteria that leads to a suitable candidate - things like track record would surely figure highly on that list. I'm just interested to see if anyone has applied such criteria to the clamour for Hughes

I agree there has to be a criteria, however you also have to be realistic.

Its not like we can go to Man United and take Ferguson.

I think most fans want a young manager, with new ideas, that will do everything they can to improve the team.

They dont want some1 who will come in a waste what money we have available. They have to be good in the transfer market and goos at getting the best out of players . Yes i know we have no proof of that for Hughes, however who else fits that criterea that we could actually attract?

... however who else fits that criterea that we could actually attract?

Of the names that have been bandied around, sadly not many (which is why they are available of course).

Dowie has done well but over a statistically insignificant time-frame. Moyes has stuggled at Everton. Discounting the perennial under-achievers (Strachan, Hoddle, Houllier etc) leaves people like George Graham (who does at least have a record of success but who has clearly been out of the game too long)

Does make you wonder who were the realistic contenders among the 30-odd applications doesn't it? Levein? Newell?

On balance I'd probably go for Dowie but more in hope than anticipation.

Of the names that have been bandied around, sadly not many (which is why they are available of course).

Dowie has done well but over a statistically insignificant time-frame. Moyes has stuggled at Everton. Discounting the perennial under-achievers (Strachan, Hoddle, Houllier etc) leaves people like George Graham (who does at least have a record of success but who has clearly been out of the game too long)

Does make you wonder who were the realistic contenders among the 30-odd applications doesn't it? Levein? Newell?

We need a Sam Allardyce type of manager who can work his magic in the transfer market. What have Dowies transfers been like?

What about Megson? He has managed to sign the likes of Kanu and Earnshaw, when to be honest you would of thought they would of gone to bigger clubs.

We need a Sam Allardyce type of manager who can work his magic in the transfer market. What have Dowies transfers been like?

What about Megson? He has managed to sign the likes of Kanu and Earnshaw, when to be honest you would of thought they would of gone to bigger clubs.

I would rather get a manager in that would keep the squad of players we have, and doing the job with them, instead of diving into the transfer market and signing all the bargains possible.

With the right man in charge i think the current crop of players are as good as any outside the top five clubs.

The manager isnt coming to a club which needs alot of work we need a manager that can make our current squad perform to their best standards and give 100% each game.

Don't know about Dowie but transfer experience is, of course, another area where Hughes is unproven. On that point I think that Souness' major failure was in transfers - looking at the team now compared to when he came in the replacements are just not as good as the ones who've left.

Megson's a possible but, be honest, if they announced him today would it excite you for our prospects? It's the same with people like Curbishley or Strachan - they'll (hopefully) keep you in the premiership as a low- to mid-table team but without ever challenging for even a top 5 finish. And that's where I think, realistically, we should be looking to finish. Mourinho proved last year that you don't need cash to be successful - and on a much bigger stage than the Premiership. So, that's the answer - let's find another Mourinho ;-)

I'm not knocking Mark Hughes and I obviously hope he does well when / if he comes in but can anyone explain why he is the overwhelming favourite for the job? He's very inexperienced in the role and despite having had a couple of good results for Wales these were some time ago and were followed by 18 months of bad ones - a run which still continues. (And before anyone blames it on the quality of the Welsh team are they really that much poorer than the players he'd have at Ewood?). It all seems vaguely reminiscent of the clamour for Kidd. Wasn't he the players / fans choice too?

Déjavou? Nah. Kidd was an assistant but I see where your coming from. Drawing with Azerbergan (I cant even spell it) and N. Ireland was dissapointing. He is still unproven.

I still say mike newell even though its unlikely. He has proven that money doesn't matter at luton and has done wonders with his current crop of players.

Then again, when Newell was manager of Hartlepool he blew a 14 point lead in the Third Division and they finished up runners-up; hence his contract wasn't renewed.

Better to get that experience early in your career and learn from it

Actually according to Newell he was sacked because he refused to put up with interference from the Chairman. He said that the Chairman wanted to be involved in all decisions but Newell wouldn't have it hence the sacking. I'm not sure i'd be all that keen on Newell but he is doing a great job at Luton and comes across very well.

Then again, when Newell was manager of Hartlepool he blew a 14 point lead in the Third Division and they finished up runners-up; hence his contract wasn't renewed.

I think the point was more to do with the fact that he managed to blow a 14 point lead in that league, so just how we would he cope at a higher level

With the right man in charge i think the current crop of players are as good as any outside the top five clubs.

The manager isnt coming to a club which needs alot of work we need a manager that can make our current squad perform to their best standards and give 100% each game.

Agree with what you're saying there but the one thing that worries me more than anything in the squad of players we have is the total lack of pace.

Even a team like Norwich can threaten with the 'out ball' to Huckerby, similarly Pompey-Yakubu, Palace-Johnson but we don't have that in our locker.

Most teams in the Prem have that bit of pace about them, especially up front.

Nothing we can do about it now mind you, cheers Souey.

I think the point was more to do with the fact that he managed to blow a 14 point lead in that league, so just how we would he cope at a higher level

Possibly. Or you could interpret it as everyone makes mistakes when they first start a job - how you learn from mistakes and setbacks is crucial to future success - and he seems to be succeeding now