BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

• Backroom

They have already said from now the show will take a different path as otherwise they would catch up to the books too quickly.

The end point will be the same though.

By the way any spoilers in here will result in bans / burning at the stake / banishment etc etc :P

• Like 3

G O T season 5 has detoured from so far from the book it's almost unrecognisable. Granted it's still great viewing, but if you've read the book you'll be disappointed at the direction it's taking.

I've been disappointed in the show's direction since Season 2.

I've been disappointed in the show's direction since Season 2.

Yeah they've tinkered quite a lot. but that's to be expected to a degree I suppose when you adapt a book for the screen, but I "acquired" the first four episodes of season 5 and was gobsmacked at the changes.

Yeah they've tinkered quite a lot. but that's to be expected to a degree I suppose when you adapt a book for the screen, but I "acquired" the first four episodes of season 5 and was gobsmacked at the changes.

Obviously there are changes due to budget/time constraints but the pointless plot/character changes are the reason I gave up watching it.

• 1 month later...
  • Backroom

Wait, whut?

Did this show reach new levels of stupid?

Just a fan theory, but a pretty long-winded one. I'd wondered it after reading 'The World of Ice and Fire' book and now it's become a reasonable theory.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukebailey/its-raining-in-castamere

I disagree re: stupidity of the show. Enjoyed the books and enjoy the show.

Edited by Mike Ellison

Just a fan theory, but a pretty long-winded one. I'd wondered it after reading 'The World of Ice and Fire' book and now it's become a reasonable theory.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukebailey/its-raining-in-castamere

I disagree re: stupidity of the show. Enjoyed the books and enjoy the show.

It's a lame theory, in the fact the whole 'Secret Targ' thing has become a running joke within the fanbase. The cruel irony of Tyrion is that he's actually more like Tywin than either of his two siblings.

The show's been gradually on the slide since Season 2. Now they're running out of book material to work from we're seeing the limits of their writing.

• Backroom

It's a lame theory, in the fact the whole 'Secret Targ' thing has become a running joke within the fanbase. The cruel irony of Tyrion is that he's actually more like Tywin than either of his two siblings.

The show's been gradually on the slide since Season 2. Now they're running out of book material to work from we're seeing the limits of their writing.

That link misses a Targaryen birth (or was it stillbirth?) of a girl born with a tail.

Tyrion was also said to have been born with a tail. He was also born within a year of the only time Aerys and Joanne could feasibly have been in each other's vicinity.

It's just a fun theory imo. Some say it devalues the relationship between Tyrion and Tywin, but I think it would add another dimension (if it's even true ofc).

Isn't the irony deepened if it turns out he isn't even a Lannister?

Edited by Mike Ellison

Isn't the irony deepened if it turns out he isn't even a Lannister?

Of course it isn't, it's the complete opposite. Tywin has spent most of his life resenting Tyrion and telling him he's illegitimate because of his dwarfism. If it turns out Tywin was actually right all along and Tyrion wasn't his son, the irony is lost.

We already have one 'Secret Targ' at the centre of the plot, GRRM wouldn't be hackneyed enough to include another.

Edited by Amarillo

• Backroom

Of course it isn't, it's the complete opposite. Tywin has spent most of his life resenting Tyrion and telling him he's illegitimate because of his dwarfism. If it turns out Tywin was actually right all along and Tyrion wasn't his son, the irony is lost.

We already have one 'Secret Targ' at the centre of the plot, GRRM wouldn't be hackneyed enough to include another.

It would mean that despite his hatred of an illegitimate son, he kept him around for political value. Tyrion was everything that Tywin wanted in his son.

But instead of dwarfism being the reason hate him, it's the fact he ACTUALLY wasn't his, but Tyrion still picked up all Tywin's traits.

For me it humanises Tywin and makes him more of an anti-hero than outright villain. Yet again, just like Tyrion.

I'm not particularly bothered if it turns out not to be the case, but it's interesting to discuss.

It would mean that despite his hatred of an illegitimate son, he kept him around for political value. Tyrion was everything that Tywin wanted in his son.

But instead of dwarfism being the reason hate him, it's the fact he ACTUALLY wasn't his, but Tyrion still picked up all Tywin's traits.

It's unnecessary, though, because we already know that it was the social stigma of Tyrion's dwarfism and the death of Joanna Lannister giving birth to him. If not for one, or both, of these things then Tywin probably would've accepted him as his true-born son.

For me it humanises Tywin and makes him more of an anti-hero than outright villain. Yet again, just like Tyrion.

Why on earth would we want that? Tywin is supposed to be a #%!@. Doesn't make him any less complex.

You never addressed my second point, either. We already have one Secret Targ plot twist on the cards.

• Backroom

It's unnecessary, though, because we already know that it was the social stigma of Tyrion's dwarfism and the death of Joanna Lannister giving birth to him. If not for one, or both, of these things then Tywin probably would've accepted him as his true-born son.

Why on earth would we want that? Tywin is supposed to be a #%!@. Doesn't make him any less complex.

You never addressed my second point, either. We already have one Secret Targ plot twist on the cards.

'It might happen once, it can't happen twice'...you sure? Even the best writers may reuse ideas. I admit it can sound anti-climatic but at the same time I like the idea.

My favourite bonkers theory is that Euron Greyjoy and Daario Naharis are the same person. One of those there's that is so neat and messy at once it's just odd.