Photo

Second midfielder - shoot-out.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked (or you're not logged in)
117 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should go into our team of "greats" (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should go into our team of "greats"

1. Jimmy Forrest (107 votes [54.04%])

Percentage of vote: 54.04%

2. Tim Sherwood (91 votes [45.96%])

Percentage of vote: 45.96%

Vote

#101 Brownie

Brownie

Uefa Europa League

• Former Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1971 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 21:38 PM

QUOTE (den @ Nov 28 2004, 21:26 )
QUOTE (Brownie @ Nov 28 2004, 21:20 )
OK Den, I give up.

Looks like Forrest has won.

Well done to FLB and his supporters, though I hope this hasn't detracted from or undermined Sherwood's priceless contribution to the gretaest moment we will ever witness as Rovers fans.

Let's move on to left wing.

Scotty Scotty beam us up !!

I actually feel a little sad, Brownie. Even though I didn't vote for Sherwood myself, I reckon yourself and FLB have done a great job and neither deserve to lose. it's also been a bit of a special subject for you, as your lads middle name is Sherwood.
Every credit Brownie, you've done well. thumbs-up.gif

I'll give it a couple more days and if there's no real movement, we'll move on.

Thanks for that Den.

I've always been a big Sherwood fan though even I have to admit, getting selected as one of the best two central midfielders in BRFC history was always going to be a tough ask.

Like I said, more important to me is that TS is remembered with particular affection with our fans, something I suspect that is not the case.

My son wears the No4 shirt for his junior side and is called Sherwood, I feel I have paid significant tribute to our most succesful captain of modern times.

I just wish others would give Sherwood the respect his hard graft and commitment to our Premiership winning campaign deserves.

Congratulations to Jimmy Forrest, FLB and his supporters.
'Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.'<br />
Confucius

#102 Ricky

Ricky

Poker Star !

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9036 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:45 AM

I backed you up Brownie. Sherwood was always one of my Favourite players when I was younger. I still keep an eye out for his performances at Coventry.
<a href='<a class='bbc_url' href='http://www.thepinkvilla.com/'>http://www.thepinkvi...a.com/</a>'>The Pink Villa</a>

#103 FourLaneBlue

FourLaneBlue

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7578 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (Brownie @ Nov 29 2004, 05:35 )
Congratulations to Jimmy Forrest, FLB and his supporters.

Cheers Brownie and I'll pass on your congratulations to Jimmy if ever I bump into his ghost, maybe he is haunting the area just behind the FA Cup trophy (where a winning captain would raise it from), with a pint of Mild in one hand and a Woodbine in the other. Or, er...as would be more likely, not...

At least this way we have players to cover most of the last 125 years or so. From Forrest in 1880s & 1890s with Crompton taking it up until the Second World War (admittedly as director and manger for much of that time). After t' war Clayton, Douglas and in the 1980s & 1990s Colin Hendry, with Le Saux and bringing it up to date with Freidel. The only full decade since Rovers were formed which doesn't include any representative is the 1970s, which was the worst decade in the history of the club. Then again, Simon Garner joined the club in 1978. If he does get in then we will have a 'Greatest Ever XI' that covers players from every full decade since we were formed (1880s - 2000s), if you include Crompton as the manager in both the twenties and thirties.

Quite a greatest team! One which spans the ages and bridges the decades!

That's unless Sherwood doesn't do a Forrest and 'come back from the dead', so to speak...

Edited by FourLaneBlue, 29 November 2004 - 09:27 AM.

#104 roversWASmylife

roversWASmylife

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3126 posts

• ST Block: S01

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:23 AM

I voted for Sherwood.
I always thought how well Sherwood captained the side, especially to Premiership glory in 1995.

"People look at me, they say heís tough, he was in the army heís gonna be hard, by the book. But I am caring, and sensitive. Isnít Schindlerís list a brilliant film?"

Gareth Keenan - The Office

#105 CAPT KAYOS

CAPT KAYOS

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4364 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (Brownie @ Nov 27 2004, 22:35 )
I just wish others would give Sherwood the respect his hard graft and commitment to our Premiership winning campaign deserves.

Like the respect he gave our club eh Brownie

Respect for your efforts of putting forward his case ( jeeps you even made me feel he was half decent for a moment), but don't go over board on that he was legend - as personally I feel you must have been easily pleased but as they say its each to their own opinion.

Will be interesting what you can put forward for Scotty over Duff?
Hit the bloody jolly Green Giant we just bought not some friggin friggin frigggin .... .

#106 Scotty

Scotty

Scotty Dawg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3474 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 11:50 AM

As good as my left foot is, I was never as good as Duff. Don't even bother Brownie.

wink.gif

#107 Cheshireblue

Cheshireblue

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 12:28 PM

It's basically all over bar the shouting now. Not just on the Sherwood/Forest vote but the whole thing.

I cannot see the next three positions being filled by anybody other than Duff, Shearer and Garner. And quite right too!
Who but an Australian would consider a penal colony nicer than mother England?

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

#108 den

den

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19898 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 13:35 PM

QUOTE (Cheshireblue @ Nov 29 2004, 12:25 )
It's basically all over bar the shouting now. Not just on the Sherwood/Forest vote but the whole thing.

I cannot see the next three positions being filled by anybody other than Duff, Shearer and Garner. And quite right too!

Not sure about Garner, Chesh. We'll have to wait and see on that one. Duff was one, if not the best left winger, but does that make him great?
Don't forget it was wilcox that was part of the title winning side, not duff.
Thanks to Tyrone Shoelaces, this was the first team I ever saw:
Rovers v Middesborough F. A. Cup 5th round. Sat 5th of Feb, 1962. Att, 33,714.

Else! Taylor Newton, Clayton Woods McGrath, Douglas Lawther Pickering Byrom Ratcliffe.

We won 2-1 ( Pickering, Lawther ) setting up an away tie at Fulham in the next round. We drew that 2-2. Before the replay the draw had paired us with our old friends Burnley in the semi finals.
Typically Rovers, we played kean in the replay and lost 1-0 in front of another 33,000 crowd ! of our five forwards four were actually born in the town of Blackburn ! Now that will never happen again.

#109 Brownie

Brownie

Uefa Europa League

• Former Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1971 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 13:45 PM

QUOTE (Scotty @ Nov 29 2004, 11:47 )
As good as my left foot is, I was never as good as Duff. Don't even bother Brownie.

wink.gif

You never know Scotty, I'll give it a bash !

'Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.'<br />
Confucius

#110 jim mk2

jim mk2

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12181 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 22:26 PM

QUOTE (den @ Nov 29 2004, 13:32 )

Not sure about Garner, Chesh. We'll have to wait and see on that one. Duff was one, if not the best left winger, but does that make him great?

Not sure about Duff either.

I can think of a left-winger far more deserving of "great" status, and he's from the modern (post 1930) era too.
What's the difference between yoghurt and Australians ? At least yoghurt starts with a little culture.

#111 Brownie

Brownie

Uefa Europa League

• Former Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1971 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 22:38 PM

QUOTE (jim mk2 @ Nov 29 2004, 22:23 )

Not sure about Duff either.

I can think of a left-winger far more deserving of "great" status, and he's from the modern (post 1930) era too.

Always knew you were a secret admirer of Jason the Jet. wink.gif
Confucius

#112 Brownie

Brownie

Uefa Europa League

• Former Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1971 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 22:40 PM

Actually, Graeme Le Saux finished the chamopinship winning season on the left wing.

Can we vote for him again ?
Confucius

#113 colin

colin

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8202 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 00:21 AM

You put up a good fight there Brownie.

Certainly beat my shout for Super Atko.

See you on saturday, I'll hold the beer mat at half time.

30 years supporting Rovers. All gone now.

#114 Brownie

Brownie

Uefa Europa League

• Former Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1971 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 00:47 AM

QUOTE (colin @ Nov 30 2004, 00:18 )
You put up a good fight there Brownie.

Certainly beat my shout for Super Atko.

See you on saturday, I'll hold the beer mat at half time.

You do realise you've just confused the nation don't you ?

Don't tell my mates but I'm sick of that bloody beer mat game !
Confucius

#115 Cheshireblue

Cheshireblue

Champions League

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3058 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:22 AM

Given teh level of support that Sherwood got, I cannot imagine Duff not getting in. He's probably the best left winger in the world (although that Robben bloke looks half decent as well).

As for Garner not getting in - Methinks you are having a larf.
Who but an Australian would consider a penal colony nicer than mother England?

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

#116 LeChuck

LeChuck

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13139 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Cheshireblue @ Nov 30 2004, 08:19 )
As for Garner not getting in - Methinks you are having a larf.

That all depends on how you define 'great' though, doesn't it? I think some people are on the verge of picking a cult favourite 11, personally I'm picking who I think was the best player in that position (within reason of course, no Sukurs who were only around a few months for example). Garner wasn't the second best striker we had so he won't be getting my vote...however, people who are defining 'great' differently will have different opinions. I guess that's what makes this poll so interesting.

One thing I hope doesn't happen again though is the argument of 'who won what', if we were going to pick players based on how much they won then a poll wouldn't be needed, just run through the record books and see how many medals each player won and pick it that way.

#117 den

den

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19898 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (LeChuck @ Nov 30 2004, 08:24 )

One thing I hope doesn't happen again though is the argument of 'who won what', if we were going to pick players based on how much they won then a poll wouldn't be needed, just run through the record books and see how many medals each player won and pick it that way.

I follow you there LC. I don't think that HAS happened though. If you look at jimmy Forrest, certainly he won 5 FA cup winners medals, but on top of that he was a local lad who played virtually all of his career with rovers and went onto become a club director.
It's a combination of factors that make a player great.

Else! Taylor Newton, Clayton Woods McGrath, Douglas Lawther Pickering Byrom Ratcliffe.

We won 2-1 ( Pickering, Lawther ) setting up an away tie at Fulham in the next round. We drew that 2-2. Before the replay the draw had paired us with our old friends Burnley in the semi finals.
Typically Rovers, we played kean in the replay and lost 1-0 in front of another 33,000 crowd ! of our five forwards four were actually born in the town of Blackburn ! Now that will never happen again.

#118 den

den

World Cup

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19898 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 20:27 PM

Final result:

Who should go into our team of "greats"
Jimmy Forrest [ 107 ] [54.31%]
Tim Sherwood [ 90 ] [45.69%]
Total Votes: 197

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Important Legal Information

All content is copyright of its respective posters and may not be representative of the views of BRFCS Ltd, its staff, volunteers, members, sponsors or advertisers. Content on the public forums of this site is not pre-moderated. If you feel that any content is defamatory or constitutes harassment, or that it contravenes the site posting guidelines, or that it may result in the site or its owners, volunteers, users or members facing legal action, you should alert BRFCS immediately either by using the REPORT function available on every post or by sending an email to admin@brfcs.com with details of the content in question.

Note that this site uses cookies. As the site does not function without cookies, any use of the site implies consent for us to use them. Under new European law, BRFCS is required to disclose how these cookies are used. Please see our privacy policy for more information.

BRFCS Ltd. Registered in England and Wales under company registration number 07315781.