BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Other Internationals

Can Ireland catch Israel in second? They beat the Faroe Islands 2-1 and are four points in front of Ireland

352214[/snapback]

The table I saw had Israel 2 in front of Ireland and France and one in front of Switzerland. They have no more to play and the others each have one. I think the only way Israel makes it, unfortunately, is if France loses to the Faroe Islands.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia 5-0 Jamaica at Craven Cottage. Australia played a 3-4-3 formation throughout.

Lucas Neill played out the full 90 minutes in the centre of a three-man defence, and I thought he looked alright, despite it being an unusual position for him, and although he was beaten for pace once or twice. He wore the captain's armband for most of the second half after Mark Viduka came off, so coach Guus Hiddink obviously rates him.

Bret Emerton started in the centre of midfield, unusual for him yet again, and had a decent game. He was on the park for most of the match and was the catalyst for Viduka's goal and Australia's third. He made a brilliant pass from left of centre at the halfway line to someone (I forget who) on the left side of the box, who crossed it in for Viduka.

In brief, both players were nothing special in a special team performance.

Edited by James No. 7

Ireland are guaranteed a playoff place at least, if they beat Switzerland. If France lose or draw to Cyprus, and Ireland win, then we will top the group. Ireland played so badly yesterday, but at least we won. We, like England, should be playing a lot better than we are and could find ourselves stumbling into the World Cup. There are so many other teams that I would like to qualify, just so there is a different line-up of teams and class players, who play for weaker nations and get the chance to experience the World Cup. I'd like Serbia and Montinegro and Bosnia And Herzogovina qualify, because I think that the likes of Kezman, Stankovic, Salihamidzic and Barbarez are brilliant players and deserve to play at the highest level. They are both playing eachother on Wedneday night and if Serbia win, then they go through. But if Bosnia win, they will probably go into the playoffs, because Spain are playing San Marino and they will win that game and would then top the group. It will be one heck of a game, when you consider what has gone on between the two countries over the last 10 years.

Elsewhere, I hope that Romania get to the playoffs, because I think that Christian Chivu and Mutu are brilliant players. I'd like somone like Uzbekistan to get to the playoffs, with a CONCAF team, because Dynamo Kiev's Maxim Shatskik is quality. It was great to see four new teams from Africa qualifing. Angola, qualified ahead of Nigeria, Togo ahead of Senegal, Ghana ahead of South Africa and Ivory Coast ahead of Cameroon. Again, these nations have some brilliant players, who will get the chance to play infront of the world. Togo have Emmanuel Adebayor who plays for Monaco, Ghana have Michael Essien and Stephen Appiah, while Ivory Coast have the likes of Drogba, Toure and Kalou.

These sort of teams and the likes of Bosnia have just as much right to play at the World Cup as any of the big nations and I'm sure that their star players, who have had such little success with their countries, will never have a prouder moment in their careers, than when they represent their country at the World Cup. I think that Andrey Shevchenko put his finger on it when he said that his career wouldn't be much to talk about, if he didn't have success with his country and success for him meant qualifing for the World Cup.

Northern Ireland 2 Wales 3

"Arrogant", "Out of touch", "Too many bust-ups with players", "Poor communication skills", "Outdated training methods", "Unfit players" etc.

Does it sound like anyone we know - a certain barcodes manager perhaps?

Well those descriptions have recently been given to John Toshack, and to be fair to the big Welshman, he's taken most of them on the chin - and yesterday came up with the first competitive win the Welsh have had for 14 matches. (10 of those were under Mr Hughes.)

It was an entertaining game in Belfast yesterday - Sunday pub team defending from both sides, but enjoyable nevertheless to watch.

I was in two minds whether to bother watching the game or not prior to the England match. I decided to give it a try, and it was worth tuning in for an attacking end-to-end game. The only world class player on show was Ryan Giggs - and how England could do with someone like him on our left-hand side. For the second Welsh goal, Giggs made an excellent run down the left, before crossing the ball into the box for Carl Robinson to score.

Hartson missed a penalty for Wales, and it was such an open game it could have finished up about 5-4 to the Welsh.

Toshack has come under criticism from a variety of sources recently. Ben Thatcher and Savage have both had their say, while Neville Southall claimed that Toshack's training methods have set the team back 25 years.

The Wales manager hit back at Southall, saying: "That's interesting, as I've never seen Neville at any training. Maybe he has been lurking in the background with a video camera. Maybe he was trying to talk me up, because 25 years ago we actually won five competitive matches on the bounce, something no other Wales team has done since. If we go back to that level, I'll happily settle for that."

Scotland 0 Belarus 1

Just under two years ago, in a second leg Euro 2004 play-off match against Russia that Wales needed to win, Mark Hughes disappointed many Welsh fans by playing a cautious 4-5-1 system at home, with Hartson as a lone striker.

I was surprised yesterday - given that this was an absolute must-win game for Scotland - that their manager Walter Smith played a similar 4-5-1 system, with Kenny Miller left isolated up front.

Smith was too over-cautious in my view. He who dares wins. The Scots should have attacked Belarus from the start, and even if they hadn't won, at least they would have gone down with guns blazing.

It must have been a bitter pill for the crowd at Hampden Park to swallow yesterday, but I suppose the Scots have become accustomed to disappointment over the years.

Walter, to be fair, has improved the team in recent months, but just when the Scots start getting optimistic about their football again, they fall flat on their face.

Not since Euro 96 have Scotland qualified for a major tournament. They haven't got the players - just look at the guy below.....

user posted image

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

I can't believe the article didn't mention Benfica's star Mantorras, Angola international. tongue.gif

352439[/snapback]

I was thinking of him, but couldn't remember his name. I saw him play a couple of times for Benfica last season and he always seemed to score important or late goals.

Northern Ireland 2 Wales 3

"Arrogant", "Out of touch", "Too many bust-ups with players", "Poor communication skills", "Outdated training methods", "Unfit players" etc.

Does it sound like anyone we know - a certain barcodes manager perhaps?

Well those descriptions have recently been given to John Toshack, and to be fair to the big Welshman, he's taken most of them on the chin - and yesterday came up with the first competitive win the Welsh have had for 14 matches. (10 of those were under Mr Hughes.)

It was an entertaining game in Belfast yesterday - Sunday pub team defending from both sides, but enjoyable nevertheless to watch.

I was in two minds whether to bother watching the game or not prior to the England match. I decided to give it a try, and it was worth tuning in for an attacking end-to-end game. The only world class player on show was Ryan Giggs - and how England could do with someone like him on our left-hand side. For the second Welsh goal, Giggs made an excellent run down the left, before crossing the ball into the box for Carl Robinson to score.

Hartson missed a penalty for Wales, and it was such an open game it could have finished up about 5-4 to the Welsh.

Toshack has come under criticism from a variety of sources recently. Ben Thatcher and Savage have both had their say, while Neville Southall claimed that Toshack's training methods have set the team back 25 years.

The Wales manager hit back at Southall, saying: "That's interesting, as I've never seen Neville at any training. Maybe he has been lurking in the background with a video camera. Maybe he was trying to talk me up, because 25 years ago we actually won five competitive matches on the bounce, something no other Wales team has done since. If we go back to that level, I'll happily settle for that."

352460[/snapback]

Now although we lost I think I can safely say we didn't deserve to. There was a period of 2 minutes where we could easily have had about 4 penalties in a row. There is of course the issue of Hartson being pulled down outside the box for the penalty and the fact that Earnshaw fell on top of the ball for the free kick that Giggs scored the 3rd from. 2 absolutely crap referees for home and away against Wales, where do Uefa find them biggrin.gif

Despite that congratulations to the Welsh..

Ah well bring on the Austrians cool.gif

Malta secured another creditable 1-1 draw, against Bulgaria this time in a game they dominated at times and were unfortunate not to win. Great night out and no Croat morons dismantling the stadium.

On the thought about Rovers players at the World Cup, compared with recent Finals, this is going to have little to no interest for Rovers' fans.

Just MGP flying the flag in the Norway play-off and Vraty needing the games of his life for Slovakia against Spain.

I think we can forget about Bert and Lucas making it to Germany- Uruguay are a little bit better than the Solomon Islands.

Of course, Sparky might sign Fateh Tekke.... or not...

Never mind a Home Nations Group, getting Germany, Ukraine and Israel would be, as they say, challenging.

353282[/snapback]

Bascially it should boil down to 2 from 4. Agreed unless we fluke the easiest group as with world cup qual there will be some tough games ahead. But still nothing should faze the then World Champs and the knighted Sir Sven and Real Madrids new 25m striker Crouch after he's stunning performances in Germany .......... and then I woke up damn

Greece are automatically top seeds as they won Euro 2004.

Czech Rep got 22 pt from 8 qualifying games for Euro 2004, which must out-weigh the fact that they are only in the play-offs for thw World Cup

Edited by Gareth

Now that Bahrain are facing Trinidad and Tobago for the honour of being the worst side at the World Cup Finals, I think its worth observing that the penalty fiasco which forced the replay of the Uzbek game was absolutely disgraceful.

I am not suggesting that FIFA wanted an oil rich arab state in the Finals but their decision was absurd in the extreme. Looking forwards to the first time a big country tries to exploit the precedent they created.

Edited by philipl

• 2 weeks later...
Now that Bahrain are facing Trinidad and Tobago for the honour of being the worst side at the World Cup Finals, I think its worth observing that the penalty fiasco which forced the replay of the Uzbek game was absolutely disgraceful.

I am not suggesting that FIFA wanted an oil rich arab state in the Finals but their decision was absurd in the extreme. Looking forwards to the first time a big country tries to exploit the precedent they created.

355326[/snapback]

Bahrain IS not oil rich. Little of their income is from oil related goods.

In fact, it is among the poorer states in the Gulf.

That said, the Gulf states do enjoy a lot of clout as a collective goup, due to which Bahrain are to face T&T now.

Bahrain has won only 1 out of its last 6 or 7 qualifying games. They are in pretty bad form and still on course for the WC, it would have been fairer to have them play against Uruguay in the playoffs, and Australia against T&T.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been watching Bahrain v T&T.

Oh dear, the winner of this will be everybody's first pick for the Group stage in Germany.

T&T much the better side but not showing in front of goal and their keeper has twice had Calamity James moments (Shakka Hyslop on the T&T bench by the way).

T&T are basically a third division outfit- if that.

Bahrain are physically so little you would worry for them against any European side.

0-0 at the moment so Bahrain in the driving seat. Oh yes Dwight Yorke is on the pitch according to the team sheet.

Elsewhere, here's hoping Bellamy survives the attentions of some pretty physical defenders in Cyprus tonight.

South Africa are lined up to play England in a friendly if we get an African country in our Group when the draw is made so The Axe better go easy on the chopping!

Finally, Turkey v Switzerland is the likeliest game to see a reverse of the first leg lead amongst the European games this evening. Turkey have three big names coming back after suspension whilst Switzerland are hit by injuries and suspensions (Hakan Yakin and his brother both out for them).

Quick update, T&T have taken the lead so the Manama samba can begin! When did Wrexham and Port Vale last have players at the World Cup? Will Dwight Yorke be the sole representative of the A League?

FULL TIME: T&T go to Germany. Jack their keeper pulled off a fabulous save in the last minute to keep the score 1-0. Before that Ali Baba got sent off for pushing the ref after another Bahraini player had kicked the ball out of Jack's hands and stuck it in the net- couldn't make it up! So Gillingham will have a player at the World Cup as well.

Edited by philipl

Now watching Turkey v Switzerland.

What a cracking game- Switzerland scored a pen in the first minute when Alpay was caught out by a chip back which he handled- tough but correct decision.

Ref then didn't give two blatant pens for Turkey and has been so pro-Swiss as to be ridiculous. Even so, Turkey are winning 2-1 at Half Time and are playing some fabulous stuff. Our old friend Hakan Sukur scored the second.

Emre will be very lucky not to get a second yellow card in the second half but the way Turkey are playing, the 4-1 win they need is very much on the cards.

Arsenal's Senderos is playing up front. He very nearly created a chance by taking a keeper's clearance full in the face in injury time- the resulting shot from distance was straight at the hopelessly out of position keeper!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.