BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Other Internationals

Actually, I'd say that Australia's best eleven is almost as good as England's best eleven.

I would regard your best defenders as better than ours, but in terms of keepers, forwards and midfielders I think it is swings and roundabouts.

The difference between the two nations (and between Australia and most football powers) is the strength in depth.

England has Wayne Bridge as a 2nd-choice left back. We have Kevin Muscat.

England's best 22 is far superior than Australia's.

Yet name a first 22 where every player is in the starting 11 for their team

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

theres no australian player at the moment who would start in the england team, which shows how much better england are.

kewell is the only one who could get a run at full strength and thats saying alot for enlgands left hand side...

after schwazers peformances against bolton he would be the only player who could make it in the squad

Emerton.

When was the last time you watched England?

I watched them during Euro 2004, and at times their midfield was woeful. Only Lampard was exceptional and looked like he could single-handedly make things happen.

Granted they are better for having Gerrard back in the team, but I would imagine that a Bresciano or Cahill would do the same sorts of things Scholes used to do.

And if Heskey can wear the England shirt, god knows Viduka could! laugh.gif

Anyway, here is my combined England/Australia squad.

Owen   Rooney

Kewell  Lampard   Gerrard    Bresciano

Cole      Terry       Campbell     Neville

Schwarzer

Subs : Viduka, Cahill, Moore, Kalac.

Edited by pg

Emerton.

I watched them during Euro 2004, and at times their midfield was woeful. Only Lampard was exceptional and looked like he could single-handedly make things happen.

Granted they are better for having Gerrard back in the team, but I would imagine that a Bresciano or Cahill would do the same sorts of things Scholes used to do.

And if Heskey can wear the England shirt, god knows Viduka could! laugh.gif

SWP - Gerrard - Lampard - Beckham

I dont see how tim cahill or bresciano could compete with any of these guys.

bresciano doesn't play an "english game" and tim cahill hasn't got the influence that these guys have.

Of course i think Viduka is better then Heskey, but at the moment he wouldn't get a look in ahead of Rooney or Owen.

I watched the Holland match (sadly) and i watched all their euro matches (They are my 2nd team basically) and I cant see our players getting a gig in their line up.

Cahill would do the Scholes job fine, but theres no room for scholes now anyway in that midfield, as he was ineffective at left mid in the euros when he was played there.

You don't play centre midfield for Parma if you are a chump.

Similarly, Everton are in the top four for a reason. Why is SWP a better player that Cahill?? SWP goes on a few jinking runs for a mid-table Premier League outfit. And besides that?

Cahill was instrumental in getting a 1st division team into the FA Cup final for the first time in a decade, and has been part of a resurgent top-four Premiership outfit.

Beckham was a superb player, but even his most ardent supporters would agree that his best days are behind him.

That's the funny thing about us 'Aussies'. For all the banter we love to give the English, we still get up at 5 am to watch them.

Even if most of the time it is just to watch them lose in a gutsy extra-time thriller!! laugh.gifwink.gif

Edited by pg

• 6 months later...

aus v soloman islands at half time its 3 - 0 to australia

culina with the cracking goal from outside the box

viduka with a clinical header and a fantastic overhead kick

emerton getting good crosses in and neill ever so solid at the back, very composed

Low left foot shot from right wing, some distance outside the box. Poor keeper fumbled it in, like with the Cahill and Chipperfield goals.

Not the toughest opponents around but Emerton didn't do that badly. Seemed to give the ball away more than most though. Neill didn't have anything to do playing in the centre of defence. Both played the full 90.

Archie Thompson scored a great goal. Probably the only non-European based Socceroo on the field.

No more World Cup qualifying matches against Oceanic opponents in Australia.

Gamst Pedersen scored the winning goal in injury time in Norway's 3-2 win against Slovenia. smile.gif

Was a cracking goal too. Arrogantly chipped the ball over the keeper when he was through on goal.

Edit: Turns out we played Slovenia and not Slovakia tongue.gif

Edited by Arcturus

Norway beat Slovenia 3-2.

A goal for Pedersen is not a shock but a goal for Claus Lundekvam is ohmy.gif

344600[/snapback]

sad.gif

If Morten hadn't scored my lot would have at least been in with a chance.

We played very well - typical Scotland, really, since it's not going to count for anything.

Similarly, Everton are in the top four for a reason.  Why is SWP a better player that Cahill??  SWP goes on a few jinking runs for a mid-table Premier League outfit.  And besides that?

290631[/snapback]

That is nonsense of the highest order. To even begin suggesting Wright-Phillips is an inferior player to Cahill is lunacy.

To quote the announcer on the Spanish speaking station covering the match:

"Sprechen ze Deutsch Estados Unidos?"

(Andy, feel free to correct the German half of that if I spelled it wrong.)

344617[/snapback]

sie rather than ze wink.gif

Emerton.

I watched them during Euro 2004, and at times their midfield was woeful.  Only Lampard was exceptional and looked like he could single-handedly make things happen.

And if Heskey can wear the England shirt, god knows Viduka could!  laugh.gif

Anyway, here is my combined England/Australia squad.

Owen   Rooney

Kewell  Lampard   Gerrard    Bresciano

Cole      Terry       Campbell     Neville

Schwarzer

Subs : Viduka, Cahill, Moore, Kalac.

290628[/snapback]

You are completely mental. I have nothing against the Australians but the only player who would get a sniff of the England team would be Kewell as he is left footed. He is however playing substantially worse than either SWP or Joe Cole at the moment. Viduka might just make the squad as a target man ( but is he really better than Crouch?). Cahill is nowhere near the quality of player Scholes is however, though I would agree that he is on par with the likes of Jenas at the moment. Schwazer would be 2nd choice after Robinson. So maybe four players out of 22 would be Australian and none would start.

How you can suggest Viduka, Cahill, Moore, Kalac are more worthy of sub spots than Beckham, SWP, Rio Ferdinand, Carragher, Joe Cole and Defoe is beyond me. Cloud cukoo land...

sad.gif

If Morten hadn't scored my lot would have at least been in with a chance.

We played very well - typical Scotland, really, since it's not going to count for anything.

344652[/snapback]

You still have a fair chance, and I wouldn't be suprised if you win against us on wednesday. We seem to be taking the game as something that should be an easy win, and I'm afraid it will backfire on us.

Who is playing left back for your lot? I expect Valencia to give him a hard time...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.