BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How The Game Is Changing

What changes do you like or hate about the game now, that differ from the days

when you played or started watching.

My pet hate at the moment :- A player putting a hand on an opponent usually results in a free kick. I mean touching, not pushing ( unless it's by a defender in the area, where a totally different set of rules seem to apply ).

I know players falling over at the slightest touch doesn't help, but if refs keep giving free kicks, it will only get worse.

I fear the day footy becomes as fake as the WWC/WWF.

I think they've messed up the offside law beyond comprehension.

I don't see the problem with calling any player in an offside position up for a free kick, regardless of whether or not they were "intefering with play". The only footballers not intefering with play are the substitutes.

Edited by bellamy11

Foreigners. (and before I'm attacked for being racist- let me explain). When the Premiership first started there were something like 11 foreign players in starting line ups on the opening day of the season. I've nothing against the likes of Henry, Ronaldo and Viera as such- as they are excellent players. What I don't like- is the amount of poor/average foreign players in the english game. I'd rather see more English players playing- and less of the cheap imports coming over. I like to watch the likes of Dunn, Duff, Taylor who've come through the clubs youth team- over any foreign signing.

I don't like the rule that says that injured players who've had the physio on and are back on their feet have to leave the pitch, let the game start again and then have to get the refs permission to come back on. Why do they do this? It doesn't save time? If the player is back on his feet, let them get on with it.

I don't see the problem with calling any player in an offside position up for a free kick, regardless of whether or not they were "intefering with play". The only footballers not intefering with play are the substitutes.

320472[/snapback]

My mate is a very low grade ref and he says they haven't changed the law itself, its all about how people interpret it because i said the same thing to him. He says when he is an assistant its alot easier if they jsut give offside when any player is off, as its hard enough as it is judgeing offsides.

320472[/snapback]

My mate is a very low grade ref and he says they haven't changed the law itself, its all about how people interpret it because i said the same thing to him. He says when he is an assistant its alot easier if they jsut give offside when any player is off, as its hard enough as it is judgeing offsides.

320478[/snapback]

I've got a mate who's a ref- and he said exactly the same thing to me. Blamed some ref (might have been Poll) for saying there had been a change- when in fact there hadn't.

I don't like the rule that says that injured players who've had the physio on and are back on their feet have to leave the pitch, let the game start again and then have to get the refs permission to come back on. Why do they do this? It doesn't save time? If the player is back on his feet, let them get on with it.

320476[/snapback]

Diving is bad enough. Players rolling around on the ground like they've been shot, when really it was nothing more than a slight push or bump should face some punishment. It bad enough that they do that long enough to see a yellow or red card come out, and then amazingly recover. At least having to go off the field and come back on is something, personally I'd wish they'd make them stay off longer. The rule SHOULD speed games up because they are supposed to come on, get the player off the field ASAP and the restart, but sionce the player is usually perfectly fine to continue, the player just delaysgetting up long enough to where people might actually think they were hurt...

If you can't tell, this is a pet peeve of mine! smile.gif

Too many cheating Dioufs, Boa Mortes, Reyes, Dyers, Pires etc and not enough honest to goodness Todds, Savs, Sparky's, Scholes, Bowyers, Shearers and Flittys etc.

Refs who cannot tell a dive from a foul.

FA

PFA

Cockney based big club loving Press and Media pigdogs. Especially those 5 Live and Talksport commentators who wrongly dissed Todd

all the time I was travelling up the motorway from Cardiff.

The demise of the maximum wage, home clubs keeping gate receipts, Johnny Bosman which have all contributed to big cllubs getting ever richer and puffyarsed players who earn....... sorry are paid so much that they have lost all touch with reallity.

Sven Goran Erikson the most tactically clueless manager of all time and his 4m salary.

Big Sam never standing a cat in hells chance of being chosen to replace SGE by the 'establishment'.

JimMk2

Old Riverside based gits in triblys who booed Sherwood and praised Atko....... (prob the same as the previous)

National Stadium at Wembley instead of the Midlands.

Fergytime

Arrogant Portugese ladyboy impersonators

Champions League format......... they are NOT having a larf! They are just ensuring that the rich get richer.

The demise of football reports in the papers from the lower divisions.

Rubles.

Squashed up seating areas.

People leaving matches early and blocking the views of others.

Automatic red cards for retaliation.

South American football.

World Cup Finals always being played out in hot countries in the height of midsummer.

Edited by thenodrog

Players who openly celebrate the 'winning' of a penalty, demonstrating they went for it deliberately in the first place.

Players who surround and barrack the referee.

Badge kissers who change clubs moments later.

Drummers.

Players who dive, and converseley players who foul whilst holding their hands up in the air.

Foreign players wearing gloves when it's just a touch cloudy.

Players who take the ball into a corner to try and run the clock down.

320476[/snapback]

I disagree . A player should be sent to the touchline if he has received treatment - only he shouldn't be let back on for 5 or 10 minutes . This would deter the actors who pretend they are injured for whatever reason . It may even deter pansies from starting the game in the first place .

Another gripe on a similar subject is the increasing tendency for players to be "sportsmanlike" and kick the ball out of play at the slightest suggestion of an injury to one of their opponents . Unless it's an obvious head injury or a snapped leg , let them wait until the ball goes dead of its own accord . They'll soon get up !

Implement these changes and you won't see the physios for months on end ....

There's nothing I hate more than players running the ball into the corner to run the clock down - surely that qualifies as time wasting? What's the difference between that and a keeper holding onto the ball for more than 6 seconds, or 60 seconds for that matter.

Just as I thought, lots of gripes.

Then why is the game booming?

I'm in agreement with most, I think I'm only putting up with it through loyalty, but greedy footballers earning a lottery win every year is putting a strain on it, when you read about their off field antics and constantly seeking greener grass.

I went to watch some park football the other week, what a refreshing change. Football as it used to be. No cheating and diving, honest passion. OK, not very skillful but very enjoyable and they were playing for fun, afterall it is a game.

I just can't see pro football lasting another 125 years the way it's going, in fact I may even out live it.

I know that weve been guilty of it, and I've been delighted that we showed such determination under Hughes but the use of 4-5-1 formations is making for a duller game. I'm not complaining when we pick up the points, but the problem is that it's highly likely going to end up a 0-0 or a 1-0. If the team playing 4-5-1 go behind then it's a huge struggle to get back into the game. Bolton, Everton and us have used it succesfully, however for the paying fan it does make for a rather boring affair. To be fair I expect there to be many Rovers fans who dislike watching Bolton and Everton for their nitty gritty play, friends have also commented to me how boring weve been. I wasnt complaining about us, as we needed to get out of the relegation scrap, but I just hope that we adopt a a 4-4-2once again next year.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Then why is the game booming?

320610[/snapback]

Maybe it is just about booming, but I think its reaching the end of that period. I think we could be on a bit of a down slope sometime soon. Or that is what all the evidence is pointing to.

Look at all the reasons given in the thread above, that is a lot of gripes about a sport.

Look at the reasons why people at Rovers aren't renewing their season tickets.

If Cole is sucessful in his appeal we're gonna have even more to moan about.

Attendances last year fell on previous years, with increasing prices this is only going to continue. And eventually people will also stop tuning in to watch it on tv although this may take a little longer.

If you've ever seen the film Baseketball, at the beginning it shows a mini story of sport dying out in America due to players switching teams, advertising and greed. Something along them lines just might happen sad.gifph34r.gif

And Rio Ferdinand should be made to give up football.

Got to disagree. Rio should be held up as a beacon of a footballer.

Overpaid.

Stupid

Unable to defend against Duncan Ferguson

Multiple driving offenses

What's that word you use when you want to describe some one who can't talk proper? Know what I mean?

Looks like a duck, quack.

Want's more money than £100,000 a week (£5.2m a year)

Just changed my mind Bryan, you're right.

It shows that there is still an interest in football, when the lower leagues, especially the championship are enjoying record attendances, yet the premiership seems to be slowly on the decline.

People are fed up of the overpaid and under worked and seemingly hard done to footballers, which we have in the premiership, they need to get back to the real world.

As has been mentioned, Rio Ferdinand mad.gif Says he is happy as Man U and wants to sign a contract, but not for £100,000 he wants £120,000 a week. The bloke is an idiot!!!

As has been mentioned, Rio Ferdinand mad.gif  Says he is happy as Man U and wants to sign a contract, but not for £100,000 he wants £120,000 a week. The bloke is an idiot!!!

320655[/snapback]

Ferdinand and his agent like Ashley (thanks Flopsy) Cole have simply been used by Chelsea as a financial weapon against their biggest rivals. Simple as. Chelsea dont particularly want either player of course but by forcing Man Utd and the Arse to run scared of them and match their over alleged offers or risk losing face with their fans. Thereby smashing any wage policies within the two clubs and starting a free-for-all by the rest of the players and players agents to triple up their own wages, means that they have no money left to improve their squads! Result is that Chelsea have financially gelded their biggest rivals at a stroke for the foreseeable future without actually laying any money out. The FA 'fines' are of course chicken feed to them and have been a minimal investment in relation to the returns that they will reap.

Clever....... but totally transparent and ruthlessley unethical ploy by Kenyon and Mourhino in using the russians billions to bully the world of football. Problem is that they'll get football done away with between them. mad.gif

Edited by thenodrog

And Rio Ferdinand should be made to give up football.

Got to disagree. Rio should be held up as a beacon of a footballer.

Overpaid.

Stupid

Unable to defend against Duncan Ferguson

Multiple driving offenses

What's that word you use when you want to describe some one who can't talk proper? Know what I mean?

Looks like a duck, quack.

Want's more money than £100,000 a week (£5.2m a year)

320620[/snapback]

- Goes on someone's stag do, lets off fire extinguishers after knocking on hotel guests' doors, then totally denies it.

- Makes a p*rn film with unwitting female participants.

- Gets smacked by Swedish gangsters after telling them to eff off (particularly enjoyed that one actually).

- "Forgets" to attend a drugs test, when all evidence points to him actually knowing he had one, but strangely absenting himself.

Here in Australia, when a player is suspended in Aussie rules it is always served for the next game or games. I always want to see that in football. To me it seems to lessen the punishment when the suspension is delayed

Edited by Bijani

Basically what gets me is everything the FA stands for at the moment. (and I don't mean in the "sweet fa" sense). The fact that so few players are playing with pride, so many see cheating as an acceptable part of the game, and that so many can't take the physical side of the game (namely having Todd, Savage and the Axe kick you for 90 minutes).

I'd love it if Rovers could restore a sense of pride and passion into the game: Hughes managed it at Wales, where the worst home nation squad managed to come within inches of world cup qualification.

Arte et Labore.

As has been mentioned, Rio Ferdinand mad.gif  Says he is happy as Man U and wants to sign a contract, but not for £100,000 he wants £120,000 a week. The bloke is an idiot!!!

320655[/snapback]

Ferdinand and his agent like Joe(Surely Ashley?? Flopsy) Cole have simply been used by Chelsea as a financial weapon against their biggest rivals. Simple as. Chelsea dont particularly want either player of course but by forcing Man Utd and the Arse to run scared of them and match their over alleged offers or risk lose face with their fans, thereby smashing any wage policies within the two clubs and starting a free-for-all by the rest of the players and players agents to triple up their own wages means that they have no money left to improve their squads! Result is that Chelsea have financially gelded their biggest rivals at a stroke for the foreseeable future without actually laying any money out. The FA 'fines' are of course chicken feed to them and have been a minimal investment in relation to the returns that they will reap.

Clever....... but totally transparent and ruthlessley unethical ploy in using the russians billions to bully the world of football by Kenyon and Mourhino. Problem is that they'll get football done away with between them. mad.gif

320657[/snapback]

Absobloodylutely.

I think most football fans crave a return to the days when it was purely the size/success of a club that attracted players, rather than money. Of course, this meant that success meant everything to clubs - to continually attract the top players your club had to maintain success, and this created the beautiful game.

Along came Sky Sports and ploughed it's millions into football, but particularly into the Premier League. Clubs were now rewarded for their success with money and lots of it. This created a false and pointless financial tug-of-war between the big clubs, whilst the clubs that were a long way off success simply dwindled away.

I often think what would happen if FIFA agreed that when every players contract next expired, they could only be offered one governed by a maximum wage rule. If all the financial injections were removed, the clubs would simply have to offer the players less, thus lowering ticket prices and increasing crowds. The beauty of the game would return, we would be going on a packed out Ewood every other week for £5 a ticket (just imagine that) and everybody would be happy. Oh except Rio.

What about if all revenue from football clubs went to the FA, but at the start of each season each football club was designated a transfer kitty based on what league they were in? Out of this they would have to buy players and pay their wages. This would mean the FA would automatically have a say over how much each club could pay in wages, but also give every Premiership club (for example) a fair chance. Manchester United could choose to pay their players more, but obviously would have a very thin squad! This would also mean that clubs with rich benefactors such as Roman Abramovich, the Walker Family and the Moore Family would be on the same playing field financially as say QPR and Rushden and Diamonds who are both run by Supporters Trusts (assuming they were in the same league they would be designated the same transfer kitty).

Far-fetched maybe, but we must look at ways to make football about football, and not just about money.

I agree with so much that has been posted, it makes me depressed. I have jumped from not renewing my season ticket to renewing and now I feel like I don't want to bother again. I think it's this Ashley Cole business that has made me feel like not renewing again.

When you read what everyone is posting - what hope is there for the game? It's nothing like it used to be and I don't think it's for the better.

Will it go like the housing market or the 'boom and bust' economy? Surely these high wages can't go on? Think about it, and how much you earn, it's obscene!

I was so glad to see the Reds win the Champions League because, on this occasion, the Russian and the sore-loser Mourinho had to swallow that no matter how much you throw at it it doesn't mean you'll win!

May be that fact is the only glimmer of hope.

unsure.gif

• 2 years later...
Too many cheating Dioufs, Boa Mortes, Reyes, Dyers, Pires etc

A point that Aston Villa's Nigel Reo-Coker has made today, Gordon.

Reo-Coker says that diving and play-acting is "killing the game".

"It's not a man's game anymore," says the Villa midfielder. "If you slightly touch a player, they go down and do 20 rolls and a back-flip, then they get you cautioned."

Link: Reo-Coker slams the cheats

A point that Aston Villa's Nigel Reo-Coker has made today, Gordon.

Reo-Coker says that diving and play-acting is "killing the game".

"It's not a man's game anymore," says the Villa midfielder. "If you slightly touch a player, they go down and do 20 rolls and a back-flip, then they get you cautioned."

Link: Reo-Coker slams the cheats

Something we've all known for years but until the press/TV pundits start slating players for it, nothing will change.

How many times do we hear, during a match commentary, 'He was touched so he's within his rights to go down'.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.