BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

Was any Englishman a bit upset at Vaughn's comments after the game that he thought "We were gone"

If any captain of my team (in any sport) came out and said that I would be ######. Talk about writing yourself off.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most thought England were gone at that point, obviously they hadn't stopped trying, as the result proved, but a win was looking unlikely, so I don't blame him for saying it, he was just being honest. I know from playing sport that there are times when you feel the game running away from you and you know it, but you don't stop trying to turn the tide, but part of actually being able to do that is realising the exact situation you are in.

When it comes to Brett Lee I actually think being dropped for the 17 months, or whatever it was, was the best thing to happen to him. Before then he was a total prat, since then he seems a bit less full of himself and does just get on with it. Couldn't stand him before, but he's alright now.

Was any Englishman a bit upset at Vaughn's comments after the game that he thought "We were gone"

If any captain of my team (in any sport)  came out and said that I would be ######.  Talk about writing yourself off.

337816[/snapback]

Just wallow in your defeat sonny. How's that 5-0 prediction working out? biggrin.gif

Other than several T20 matches at OT the Test on Friday will be my first experience of professional cricket. Never been to a full day before and must say I'm really excited about it, and i'm not really a cricket fan but it's growing on me.

Any tips on how best to get through the day?

If you have one of those little handheld radio things where you can listen to radio 4 longwave while there it's useful, depending on where your seat is seeing exactly what is going on all day can be difficult.

Make sure you have someone to talk to. I don't think it should be too much of a problem because I expect this game to be much like the last two and be very exciting, but a couple of years ago I went to England against South Africa at Lords and sat there all day while south africa piled on the runs. No wickets were taken until the very end of play, if memory serves mcgrath bowled smith, this happened while I was walking out. Hearing the massive roar was the first time I found england taking a wicket depressing. biggrin.gif

The atmosphere and the great cricket mean that I'm sure you'll have do little to enjoy it, just hope for an england win!

Only watch the good bits...

If your not driving Paul, take your ale in with you as the queues are horrendous. But they were at the T20s so you probably already know that! That also applies to food supplies as well.

Looking at the weather forecast I suggest you slip, slap and slop up too.

I'm there Thursday.

tips: if you see the leather cushions for hire - get one. Those plastic seats are real uncomfortable.

Don't think you're allowed to take alchohol or cans into the ground.

Get there early. Could be queues owing to extra security/bag searches.

Sun tan lotion. There's no shade, you're exposed to the sun [hopefully] all day.

But you know all that, don't you!

No alcohol allowed into the ground or so it says on the ticket . I suspect bags will be searched more than usual .

The weather forecast isn't too bad actually . At least according to John Kettley on 5 Live today . Mind you , he's a dingle so what does he know ....

I'm there Thursday.

tips:  if you see the leather cushions for hire - get one. Those plastic seats are real uncomfortable.

Don't think you're allowed to take alchohol or cans into the ground.

Get there early. Could be queues owing to extra security/bag searches.

Sun tan lotion. There's no shade, you're exposed to the sun [hopefully] all day.

But you know all that, don't you!

337920[/snapback]

probably, because for the people who got tickets for the Ashes, its highly unlikely this will be their first ever cricket match they've been to.

I don't know if they still do this, but be aware of the bars closing for a couple of hours.

They used to do that if [when] the crowd got over exuberant.

The museum is interesting as well. It used to be free.

Other than several T20 matches at OT the Test on Friday will be my first experience of professional cricket. Never been to a full day before and must say I'm really excited about it, and i'm not really a cricket fan but it's growing on me.

Any tips on how best to get through the day?

337904[/snapback]

Get drunk, sing some songs and create as good an atmosphere as there was at Edgbaston.

dress up in fancy dress and watch out for those n-power girls. I was at the test match last year and I saw all sorts.

you can't beat a day at the test, it be a cracking atmosphere (as long as england are doing OK) and real good value for money. You get 6 hours + of world class sport with some of the best players on the planet for less than it cost to fill up the average car with fuel.

I've got 6 tickets in the "Twaites stand".

last time I went to an ashes test was at OT in '97 when Steve Waugh made a century and before that at in '93 when Shane Warne and Tim May ripped through the english batsman

hipe for better luck this year

last time I went to an ashes test was at OT in '97 when  Steve Waugh made a century and before that at in '93 when Shane Warne and Tim May ripped through the english batsman

hipe for better luck this year

338029[/snapback]

Can somebody kidnap Timmy before the match smile.gif

Tim May was a fantastic off-spin bowler.

Statistically, Shane Warne took wickets at his lowest average when Tim May was bowling from the other end.

May's only problem were his dodgy knees which kept him out of too many tests.

Don't know why you are bagging him!?!? blink.gif

Edited by pg

Bloody hell, how bad was that batting line up then

338145[/snapback]

England 2nd innings R M B 4 6

GA Gooch b Warne 48 178 150 6 0

*MA Atherton c Border b Warne 28 89 66 3 0

RA Smith lbw b Warne 19 69 70 2 0

MP Maynard c Healy b May 10 13 15 2 0

+AJ Stewart lbw b Warne 5 21 26 1 0

GP Thorpe st Healy b Warne 60 235 192 3 0

N Hussain c SR Waugh b May 0 4 7 0 0

JE Emburey c Healy b May 37 200 191 3 0

MP Bicknell c SR Waugh b May 0 1 2 0 0

PM Such not out 7 50 42 1 0

MC Ilott b May 15 44 41 3 0

Extras (b 11, lb 9, nb 2) 22

Total (all out, 133.2 overs, 461 min) 251

FoW: 1-60 (Atherton), 2-104 (Smith), 3-115 (Maynard),

4-115 (Gooch), 5-124 (Stewart), 6-125 (Hussain),

7-229 (Emburey), 8-229 (Bicknell), 9-229 (Thorpe),

10-251 (Ilott).

Bowling O M R W

Hughes 18 7 24 0

Reiffel 11 2 30 0 (2nb)

May 48.2 15 89 5

Warne 49 23 82 5

Border 2 1 1 0

ME Waugh 5 2 5 0

Excellent news that we've won the toss. Bad news about McGrath and Lee. We can't afford to be afraid of Glenn now. We can't rely on winning in his absence - the Aussies have to be shown that we can beat their best team.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.