SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the tactic for this test match will be very interesting. from our perspective i would say taht vaughny if he wins the toss would not to even think about a declaration.....in the first inning.  on the other hand and depending on what the pitch is normally like at the oval, it wouldn't be all that bad if australia batted first...cause it is they whom have to get us out as quickly as possible.  if we do win the toss, then i wouldn't be surprised to see micahel vaughn put them in.

344095[/snapback]

If England wins the toss there is no question that Engalnd will bat first. We could knock up a big score (say 400-500) over a day or 2 and bat the aussies out of the series.

Heard McGill might be played. Who would make way for him?

if we win the toss then we must put them in because by doing this it is making them use up there own time, whereas we couldn't give a stuff how long they stay at the crease for.....then say after 1 and half days...we bat and then bat for 2 days or at least try to....if you see where i'm going with this.

344404[/snapback]

If we put them in , BB , and they get a decent score (350 plus) then the pressure on us will be immense . Better for us to get in first and put the pressure on them . Plus these days both teams are capable of scoring quick - unless rain's forecast time isn't really an issue .

I'm getting nervous about this already unsure.gif

They couldn't keep batting, the rules were they could bat either for a day or 120 overs whichever happened first. As for Hayden getting a hundred, I hope he gets 300. His ability to amass big scores is not in doubt, he has done it in most of these games against county sides. His ability to adjust his game against better bowling has been his downfall. A big score to increase his confidence, if that's possible, could play into England's hands.

Just look at Hayden's scores this summer not counting one dayers:-

75 against Leicestershire

79 against Worcestershire

136 against Northants

all good scores but then look at what he has scored in the tests

1st Test 12 & 34

2nd Test 0 & 31

3rd Test 34 & 36

4th Test 7 & 26

He's had plenty of starts but it appears his arrogance is such that he refuses to alter his playing style against superior bowlers and is paying the price. Long may it continue.

They couldn't keep batting, the rules were they could bat either for a day or 120 overs whichever happened first. 

344667[/snapback]

They still only batted for 105!

but as brad hodge outscored hayden, langer, katich, gilchrist maybe it'll give them something to think about!

Interesting selection of anderson for the back up bowler for the last test! But i think a good one, i would have thought gough but only because of geoff boycott's opinion on saturday's C&G!

MacGill's efforts against Essex would be a worry. Here is what I said in another forum about MacGill :

The last time he bowled against England in 2002-03 at home :

Melbourne test :

1st innings : 36 overs, 2 for 108 (wickets of Hussian and Dawson)

2nd innings : 48 overs, 5 for 152 (wickets of Trescothick, Vaughn, White, Foster and Caddick).

Sydney test :

1st innings : 44 overs, 2 for 106 (the wickets of Caddick and Hoggard)

2nd innings : 41 overs, 3 for 120 (Butcher, Caddick and Hoggard).

Overall : 169 overs 36 maidens 486 run 12 wickets 40.50 average best figures of 5-152

In 169 overs he only claimed four batsman.

The English aren't afraid of MacGill, and considering that the Oval is now one of the fastest pitches in the world I don't think he'll be playing.

this is probably the most important test match for england in the last 100 years. we are now at a level of world cricket that we deserve and to take it to the next level....this is the one that if we win then we can be truely called a great test country.....and rightfully too be crowned as (if we win or draw this test match) the best test playing nation in world cricket.....it is there for the taking michael vaughn...so lets have the bottle to take it.

Oh my god, truely called a great test country? IF you win the series it will be the first one in close to 20 years, give me a break, remain on top for the next ten years then call yourself a great test nation.

At the moment you haven't even gone past flash in the pan in reputation stakes

Australia has done everything there is to do in Cricket, we have won world cups, we have beaten every country on their own turf, we have been recognised at the highest level as the greatest SPORTING team (not just cricket but all sports) in the world and hold the record for the longest winning streak by a long shot.

Good series England but don't count those chickens yet

but the old sphincters starting to flutter aint it Neekoy? Beaten in the Rugby, your cricket teams looking vulnerable all you have to fall back on is that 3-1 win in a football friendly.

Must be upsetting.

That being said I fully expect Austrailia to win at the test thanks to two people - Lee and Warne

Thats it isnt it - you havent been outplayed in 3 of the 4 tests, its becuase you're letting us win.

That'll explain Ponting letting us bat first at Edgebaston, keeping gillespie on for Old Trafford.

Neekoy, im just enjoyinh winding you Aussies up - No true english cricket fan (bar Jim whos just an arse) begrudges the fact that Austrailia have been great, almost perfect, for a long time, however your mantel's slipping what ever happens at the Oval. It means that we now have three or four teams that are near each other in quality, and long may i continue. Im looking forward to the christmas tour now

Thats it isnt it - you havent been outplayed in 3 of the 4 tests, its becuase you're letting us win.

That'll explain Ponting letting us bat first at Edgebaston, keeping gillespie on for Old Trafford.

Now you're getting it biggrin.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.