BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Northern Ireland 1-0?

Didn't see your game.  Couldn't watch mine. (well only through my hands).  David Healy, eh???  Who'd have thought it.  Combined cost of NI-= almost £0  Combined cost of England £millions.  Combined worth of England £0.  Combined worth of NI= priceless!!!

Now all that's got to happen is that Scotland need to keep rememebring how to play footy, and someone else in the group needs to beat Norway.  OK not likely but at least we're in a better shape than we were.  Maybe Walter Smith isn't that bad a manager.

345435[/snapback]

Not pining for Paul Lambert anymore? Livi have started this season well eh? wink.gif

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Sven has to go then we should bring Bobby Robson in, give him the job until after the World Cup and then look for a long term successor.

Very much in agreement with that. Sir Bobby is not attached to any club, has managed the country before and is a man that would instantly win the fans and players over. I say we get him in as soon as possible and keep him until he decides to leave.

I didn't watch the match tonight - I haven't watched any England matches for a year or so now - but tonight was just the same old story of inept management and players not giving enough for their nation. An utter disgrace.

One of the best nights in my life without a doubt. I may have fallen 2 rows in front of me when we scored but I couldnt care. (Was in the Kop behind the goal_

YES YES YES biggrin.gif

Away in a manger no crib for a babe the little lord Jesus lay down his sweet head, the stars in the bright sky looked down where...

HEALY HEALY HEALY biggrin.gif

You'll qualify anyway lads thumbs-up.gif

What a woeful display lacking in any creativity and Rooney is a goose...

Best line I have seen in a match report yet

'Are you Scotland in disguise?' taunted the home fans. Certainly not, for the Scots are a winning side again, courtesy of a 2-1 success in Norway. biggrin.gif

Oh dear oh dear what a woeful performance from a bunch of overrated, overpaid numpties with Rooney the prime example of all that's wrong with todays modern player.

Let's hope this isn't the start of a bad few days for Engeerlaaand and its sporting teams. laugh.gif

Edited by SouthAussieRover

It's just over 4 years since the amazing result against Germany, which SGE seems to have as a lasting legacy.

However, it's just under 4 years since the 2-2 draw against Greece which was the probably the worst English performance in recent times, except last night. Maybe that is a truer reflection of Sven's time in charge. Stevie Gerrard was particularly woeful that match, and he was again yesterday; clearly not having the faintest idea what he was expected to do.

The big difference between the Greece match and yesterday was that Beckham was absolutely astonishing at Old Trafford in 2001. Last night he was the only English player to emerge with any degree of credit but he couldn't take on the entire Irish team as he did against the Greeks.

Edited by Modi

Bloody Hell !

Started a thread without even knowing it ! Come on, would I have spelt 'field' incorrectly ?

blink.gif 

345487[/snapback]

Sorry AS, neekoy, I merged all the Ireland game posts ito one topic.

Didnt want to loose track of the NI victory against the mighty English in the so positive Germany World Cup topic.

Sack the swede, sack the swede, sack the swede.

I have never witnessed a bigger display of tactical ineptitude in my life. Get rid of the swede before its too late. he has already proved in the last two campaigns that he has no tactical nouse. The capitulation against brasil and the reluctance to take off underperforming so called star players against portugal. The guy is a liability and is clearly only concerned about his big wages and where he next parks his nudger.

This crop of players are world class and should be winning things not struggling to qualify from the easiest group there is.

Thats was some funny stuff biggrin.gif

Rooney throwing a paddy on the left, Gerrard and Lampard dreadful in the middle and Scotland beat Norway to top it all off. I'm sure we'll still qualify, we'll just have to get rid of that stupit 4-5-1 formation... Hmmm. Dejavue!

Edited by promoted2001

One of the best nights in my life without a doubt. I may have fallen 2 rows in front of me when we scored but I couldnt care. (Was in the Kop behind the goal_

YES YES YES  biggrin.gif

Away in a manger no crib for a babe the little lord Jesus lay down his sweet head, the stars in the bright sky looked down where...

HEALY HEALY HEALY  biggrin.gif

You'll qualify anyway lads  thumbs-up.gif

345457[/snapback]

Hehe. Congrats mate smile.gif

What on earth were England doing last night? They looked like they distinctly lacked any passion, belief & didn’t look too bothered about even being there – playing for their country; the highest honor a player can get. These players are on £60k-120k+ a week and ply their trade in the worlds top league (Spain & England) and regularly play consistently well. However, as soon as they are under the command of Eriksson it turns to sh*t?

How can an international side, packed full of world class players play 4-5-1? David Beckham is a top player in his own right, because of his position on the right wing with excellent passing. So why on earth play him in a midfield anchor man role against Northern Ireland? A team who had players from Peterborough, Plymouth and even Burnley in their squad?

Yet again Eriksson showed his tactical naivety at half time when things weren’t going right. He didn’t change the system, the formation or make any substitutions? Michael Owen was utter rubbish, yet he left him on with an in-form, pacey Jermaine Defoe sat on the bench until Northern Ireland scored?

With 10 minutes to go you would think we would throw everything but the kitchen sink to get an equalizer… so who does Eriksson bring on? Owen Hargreaves!!! He gave 2 free kicks away in dangerous areas and on my count lost the ball 3 times out of 3. Why is he picked?

What happened to the days of 4-4-2??? I can’t ever remember an international side, playing 4-5-1 winning anything? It begs the question – why is Eriksson messing about with the formation of his side just 3 competitive games away from a world cup? Does he still not know his best side?

Its time for Eriksson to go…. We can’t afford to wait another 4 years for another crack at the world cup. We’ve got a good side, with players like Lampard, Gerrard, Terry in their prime. Will they have the same hunger in 4 years time? When they are 4 years older? Don’t let this Swedish moron, who sits on the bench motionless when things aren’t going right ruin our dreams.

Sven out!!!!!

Good point Stella ... England need to make the most of the current crop of players ... in 4 years time I fear these players will be past their prime and their replacements will not be of as high a standard.

To maximise the squad's efficiency in the world cup SGE has to go I think. Although the F.A will argue that it is too close to a major tournament to disrupt things.

When in reality it's too close to a major tournament NOT to get rid.

There was no passion, no desire, no creativity, no spark, no nothing. Its time for a change.. Problem is who can replace him and can the FA afford to sack him??

That’s the FA for you… employing a foreigner and then not even being able to afford to sack him.

Who next for manager? Krusty the clown?

Why don’t we just appoint Owen Hargreaves – hey he does play for Bayern Munich after all. ffs.

I didn't really watch the match, I was more concerned with the Republic blowing their chances of going to the World Cup, against France. Fair play to Northern Ireland and Lawrie Sanchez, because of the little that I did see of the game, Northern Ireland seemed to want it more and played as a team. I found Kenny Samson's remarks on Sky Sports, about SGE looking at the roof of the bench and having a whistle hilarious. What a fool! Ian Wright was also p!ssed off and was having trouble venting his anger, without swearing!

HEALY HEALY HEALY  biggrin.gif

345457[/snapback]

Not that I'm bitter but its "no crib for a BED" smile.gif

Anyway- well done- much deserved win.

Sven has to go NOW. They've looked poor for awhile now- so it isn't a knee jerk reaction. The decision to bring Hargreaves on for the last 10 minutes summed it up nicely. Baffling. Gerrard has been rubbish for England for awhile too - but I blame the role he's playing. Possibly a stupid idea- but I'd love to see Psycho in the job. Commands instant respect from the players, and they'd certainly be motivated. Maybe have him as assistant under Big Sam or Curbs for the time being.

I'm not sure what everyone's so upset about.

SGE demonstrated clearly in Portugal that he lacks both the motivational skills and the tactical nous for the job (remember the Phil Neville substitution?), so why the big surprise now? I quite enjoyed it, in that they have struck on a strategy so basic and predictable that even I could see where the ball was going next - made me feel like a tactical genius.

I felt quite happy for the Ulstermen, who showed us what good support is all about. They deserved their night and if it shakes us up a bit, it'll be no bad thing.

Does anyone know what Owen Hargreaves has over Sven, pictures of him in Nancy's underwear maybe. The bloke comes on in every game and yet I couldn't tell you anything about him as a player, other than that he's crap.

I am getting obsessed about this and have just checked the FA website and found out that Hargreaves has 29 caps and yet has only started 2 games since the last World Cup. There must be legendary English players who have far less than 29 caps. There must be something going on.

345431[/snapback]

You clearly have never watched Bayern. The mans like Makelele. Just sven doesnt use him properly. Hargreaves would allow Gerrard and Lampard to play to their full attacking strengths in an England team minus Beckham.

How everyone can blame a guy that played the last ten minutes is beyond me. Im sure if he played for MUFC the sun would be running a campaign to get him the captains armband.

Oh, and let me just say, PMSL.

Edited by andy82

Hargreaves is like Makelele?

He came on v Wales and gave the ball away in the centre of midfield with a nothing ball, then last night he came on and gave 2 stupid free kicks away and lost the ball everytime he got it.

Your not telling me he is one of England's best midfielders? In fact, he's bloody Canadian anyway!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.