BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Pitch Inspection

BringOnNextSeason

I don't like saying this, but I think he's got a point in the case of Bolton and Newcastle.  Call me cynical but I strongly suspect both clubs would have been delighted to have their games called off.  However, I just can't see what Rovers get out of it.  Ok, we'll be sharper and fitter for Wigan than we would otherwise have been, but surely it would be better to play Sunderland at home in front of a big crowd and hopefully get the points on the board.

369959[/snapback]

Why would either want to call their game off? Both clubs lose money and inconvenice fans. It also means Newcastle miss the chance to beat a very out-of-sorts Charlton (who may find better form by the time of the rescheduled game) and it means Bolton just still have another game to fit in amid their FA Cup games and Uefa Cup tie.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was one of the naffed off supporters. Quite frankly from a personal point of view the impact on myself was minimal, and it will never affect my support. tinykit.gif

What I was concerned about was the impact on the floating support, the negative PR and the financial cost to Rovers at a time when they need every penny; never mind the cost in supporter goodwill. Yes the weather was appalling but the problem is how this impacts on our Club and the much needed support that we all want to see increased.

Interesting article in the Daily Telegraph yesterday which says the NUFC postponement will cost Newcastle £100,000; I suspect that their refunds for supporters not attending the rematch will be for fewer numbers than ours and taking into account their greater loss on catering etc the cost to both NUFC and Rovers will probably be similar.

What was of more interest was the quote that NUFC will not consider compensation (for travel costs, particually to Charlton fans I presume). However Rovers are to consider compensation!

There is a great opportunity here for Rovers to win the hearts and minds of the floating fan. Yes it will cost money on top off the postponement costs but there is the chance of a long term gain in terms of treating the fans right. I do not have the answer here but a refund linked to a reduced price entry for 2 or even 3 games may be worth considering.

Ideas?

Edited by preston blue

Rovers and Bolton subject to Premier League inquiry.

Undersoil heating is a Premiership requirement so we could be in bother.

That said, for a Premier League spokesman to describe trying to avoid long journeys for fans then saying of Newcastle v Charlton "we got it a bit wrong..."

No doubt, if Rovers and Bolton connected the caterers' fridges to the undersoil pipework, saying "we got it a bit wrong" wouldn't be accepted!

Talking of long journeys, Ross County postponed their game yesterday one day before it was due to take place as there was a risk it would not be playable. Their reason- the visitors were Stranraer (average home gate 500) and the Dingwall-based club thought it would be unfair on the visiting supporters not to call it off if there was a risk of postponement! Well done to the SFA fixture boys for coming up with that one on 31 December then.

The English Leagues resisted Carlisle v Torquay over the festive period so what prompted the Scots to schedule the longest journey in their leagues...

Edited by philipl

Rovers and Bolton subject to Premier League inquiry.

Undersoil heating is a Premiership requirement so we could be in bother.

370426[/snapback]

I have got a very bad feeling about this, if it were us and manyoo or arsenal i'd feel happier but both of us are not loved by the footballing press/fa already.

I think whatever explanation we offer we'll be done over by a FA who need to learn from mistakes and make the derby fixtures over xmas to avoid large disappointment.

rover.gif as soon as fergie opened his mouth a premier league inquiry was going to happen,we may have shut the heating off,it may have been a genuine mistake but i expect a heavy fine,but 3pts yesterday will soften the blow tongue.giftinykit.gif

rover.gif as soon as fergie opened his mouth a premier league inquiry was going to happen,we may have shut the heating off,it may have been a genuine mistake but i expect a heavy fine,but 3pts yesterday will soften the blow tongue.gif  tinykit.gif

370452[/snapback]

Not if it's a points deduction it's not.

Well I'm quite glad there's going to be a league inquiry ; at least we'll have more chance of an honest answer to whatever went "wrong" than if we left it to the Rovers .

370517[/snapback]

There isnt currently an enquiry! The league have asked for an explanation - two different things!

Edited by stuwilky

Its a load of nonsence. That system probably hasn't been used for a year and how would you know its not working until it doesn't work? Its just one of those things and there's nowt anyone can do about it. Why don't they just make sure that all games at this time of year are fairly local so they can make late decisions without causing people massive wasted journeys, eg Charlton fans.

No they're not .  (And I said INQUIRY by the way ...)  smile.gif

370534[/snapback]

They are.

"can you tell us what happened" - this is the case.

"we are going to find out what happened ourselves - an investigation.

enquiry/inquiry = the same.

blue phil Posted Today, 18:11

Well I'm quite glad there's going to be a league inquiry ; at least we'll have more chance of an honest answer to whatever went "wrong" than if we left it to the Rovers .

What's rattled your cage? You didn't get to see a match on Wednesday? TOUGH. We were fresher for Wigan and I suspect the result against Sunderland will be the same whenever we play them. Why carry it on?

who actually cares what went wrong? I for one don't. It would have been nice to see a match, but I went to Wigan instead which was nice- and I've no doubt I'll go to the rematch.

Get over it

There isnt currently an enquiry!  The league have asked for an explanation - two different things!

370518[/snapback]

As I said before an enquiry by the league is exactly the same as asking for an explanation . Maybe you think that an inquiry/enquiry has to be some kind of formal inquisition , I don't know ....

who actually cares what went wrong?  I for one don't.

370537[/snapback]

Maybe you don't Jan , but others do .

And I'm willing to bet that someone with an IQ as massive as yours just might think twice before travelling down from London on a cold winter's eve if no adequate explanation is forthcoming from the Rovers ..... wink.gif

As I said before an enquiry by the league is exactly  the same as asking for an explanation . Maybe you think that an inquiry/enquiry has to be some kind of formal inquisition , I don't know ....

370762[/snapback]

I suspect if the league are not happy with Rovers explanation then they will launch an investigation.

I say this as one of the original wingers.

370768[/snapback]

Quite right, sir. People of your ilk are a rare commodity in todays modern game. People who hug the touchline, get the ball, beat their man, get to the by-line and put a decent cross in. Perhaps you can give our Brett a pointer or two?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.